The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 01:07 PM   #1
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Oil leaks are so aggravating...

So, new T5 in John Lee....love it...cept for the speedo bullet leak.

New o-ring, still leaks.

Gooed it, still leaks....

Found out it has an inner seal on the snout that rides the shaft of the driven gear.

Ordered a new bullet since the oil appears to be comeing out right along the shaft....Crossin my fingers.

As for the engine oil.

Found out you can adjust a Weber 32/36 to run perfectly with an upside down PCV valve even though in that position if functions like a giant vacuum leak.

But ya install it right and add a Mr. Gasket oil breather baffel plug and push in breather and it plugs up enough to push oil right out past the rear main...

See, I still had some mist/blowby comeing out the top of the old twist in breather and onto the valve cover...not much but aggravating....its nice to keep a clean bay.

I noted there is only a small slit in the rubber between the flanges of that Mr. Gasket baffeled grommet. Pulled into work this morning and ounces of oil runnin out the rear main. Like a coffee cup sized puddle in about 30 seconds.....drip drop drip drop....

So, at lunch a bit of surgery on the grommet with a good sharp pocket knife and needle nose plyers to open up that lil tiny slit to about a 1/4" hole and a short ride around and I don't see any new leakage. Course, I got a new mess to clean up inside the bell houseing and all back across the frame and transmission but again, I'm crossin my fingers. Perhaps proper function of the PCV system (i.e. air flow in, across, and back to the manifold) and my new felpro rear seal will function correctly!
Old 01-21-2014, 04:08 PM   #2
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

Re: Oil leaks are so aggravating...

Old truck.....you think yers leaks bad!!!!! You NEED have a good look at mine!!!
Old 01-21-2014, 05:59 PM   #3
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Yeah but new motor and new felpro double lip silicone rear main seal....

Didn't leak till I added the Mr Gasket baffled breather grommet.

The surgery at lunch seemed to do the trick. Wind blew off most of the oil from underneath and I have nary a drop comeing out of the clutch inspection cover weep hole after two post surgical test rides and a 38 mile drive home at 70 mph. If my garage floor is still clean after supper I'm pullin the inspection cover, cleaning it all out inside and out and will watch it another day or so before I call it cured.

But its lookin like one of them dope moments where I made an improvement and created my own problem.......i.e. I plugged the filler up and the pressure went out the rear main and down the dipstick shaft! Bit messy under there but ... fingers crossed and learning as I go!
Old 01-21-2014, 06:32 PM   #4
Old Bleu

Sharps, a new bullet took care of my T5 leak at the speedo cable.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:32 PM   #5
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Cool beans, just got the ups trackin info. Its on the way.

Meantime, looks like the lunchtime surgery was successful in so far as airflow has been restored thru the engine and pcv system. No extra oil weepin out after the ride home and a 45 minute sit.

So, did the clean up. Right side of block, dipstick, starter, down and back.

Tranny, both sides and back.

Oil pan, complete front to back, inspection cover, outside of bell housing, cross member, rear motor mounts, ebrake xmember, etc.

Unbuttoned the clutch inspection cover, wiped it out. Wiped out the bell housing, fork, boot, mateing surfaces of the bell, face of the tranny....then....

Squoushed it all down good with carb cleaner, keepin it off the clutch and dried it all again.

Put it all back together. Cleaned the floor and let it idle 20 minutes.

Got a buncha rain and ice movein in here in the next hour or to so may not get to test drive till later tomorrow but I'm predictin less crankcase pressure means less leakin!
Old 01-22-2014, 12:52 PM   #6
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Looks like the engine leaks may be licked. No leaks last night or this morning after the clean up and run in.

Trip in to work, 38 miles at highway speed, indicated no leaks at the rear main upon arrival.

Will check on departure and again in the morning...but seems proper air flow thru the crankcase is necessary for proper function and seal longevity. Thank the truck gods, don't like replacin bottom end seals!

Trans bullet should be here tomorrow so hopfully have a read on that leak by the weekend......jes gotta go back and check the pinion seal again.......That'll be a booger if its still weepin.....need a Big wench and a smasher wacker caussa the torke.
Old 02-02-2014, 06:15 PM   #7
Sharps40
Account Suspended

New update on things I learned today on the 200 mile highway speed shakedown run.

If you install the PCV valve upside down, it don't work, and the rear main leaks.

If you install it correctly but its defective, the rear main won't leak at town speeds but will piss a quart every 150 miles on the highway.

You can tell if your PCV is broke by lookin in the end and revin the engine......if it don't do nothing its broke. When you put in the new one in the right direction (arrow toward vacuum source) and rev the engine it opens and closes quickly making a nifty buzzin noise like a Fart Can equipped Civic.

So I cleaned out the bellhousing, bearing, pan cover, starter, oil pan, transmission, ebrake assembly, drive shaft and cab floor again. And.....we'll see how this round goes.
Old 02-02-2014, 06:16 PM   #8
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Oh yeah, mileage is bout 18.6 mpg on midgrade....nice.
Old 02-02-2014, 07:34 PM   #9
geezer#99

Did you get the tranny bullet to stop leaking?
Old 02-02-2014, 07:57 PM   #10
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Nope. Got the new bullet but it's been freezing here. Tryin to save 60 bucks for a ratio reducer. The 24 tooth driven gear is notchy, bouncy. Planning to go back to the 20 tooth with the reducer and swap the bullet then.
Old 02-02-2014, 08:25 PM   #11
geezer#99

Good you haven't installed it yet!
A tip for you!
The inside o-ring comes from the supplier installed right at the outer edge where the speedo gear goes thru the bullet. The o-ring needs to be pushed down until it bottoms in the bore. It can go only so far. About 1/4 inch. If not it will leak again.
Old 02-02-2014, 08:47 PM   #12
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Ok. Ill get a drift an small smashwacker an make good an dayum sure it's seated!
Old 02-02-2014, 10:57 PM   #13
KJSR

If you have any rtv on it, get rid of it as well...
1965 Chevrolet K10 Suburban
1969 Chevrolet C10
1937 Plymouth P4
Old 02-03-2014, 06:10 AM   #14
Sharps40
Account Suspended

The rtv is what keeps it sealed on the OD. The hole is tapered/wallowed out in the case and even with an o-ring as thick as yer thumb it won't seal with out it. Blu Goo to the Res Cue.
Closed Thread