The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-17-2003, 10:15 AM   #1
69-Chevy-350

How to take off front grille on 69?

I want to take off the grill on my 69 to work on it. I see two bolts near each side of the fenders. It is cold here so I want to do it fast. thanks for the help. Also I was wanting to take out the dash cluster. I took out the screws but I am unable to pull it out. The light knob won't come off either. Any help here? And last ly i was trying to take the door panels off but I can't figure how to take the door handle and the window crank off. Thanks for helping me out.
69-Chevy-350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 10:30 AM   #2
694X4

sorry I can't help you on the grill. On the light switch you have to reach up behind the and there is a button on the switch. Push and hold the button while you pull the knob and little rod out then you will probably have to fight the cluster out a little if i remember right it is a tight fit to get it out. On the window crank and door handle you are supose to have a special tool to take the little clips off but if you are carefull you can pop them off with a screw driver. Just watch the clips because they will fly when you push them off. once the clips are off you can slide the handle right off.
Old 01-17-2003, 11:47 AM   #3
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

On your inst panel, if you have guages, you'll need to do the under dash boogie to get the oil pressure line off, then you need to disconnect the speedo cable, and then it'll pop out enough to unplug the harness...which is behinde your fuel guage. If you still have the fiber optic thing that lights your shift indicator, you'll need to remove that light from the inst. panel. Then, under the steering column, there is a plack piece that is covering the rubber boot...2 phillips screws secures it. Remove it, then slide the boot as far up the column as you can.
Now all you have to do is cuss and try to manuver it out of the hole. If you have a stock tach, you'll need to drop the column a little bit.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 12:07 PM   #4
Primered_69

Did you find the boltsunderneath the grill where the bumper is? I think there is four there also.
Old 01-17-2003, 12:44 PM   #5
rusty ol' 69'
Grubbin'

The door handles and window crank are held on by a c-clip type spring. You can either buy a tool at any auto parts store, or do it the cheap man way with a flat head screwdriver. Be careful though since the are spring loaded they tend to fly off and conveniently hide somewhere undetectable by the naked eye. The flat head way is the hardest, but not to difficult to pull off. Push your body weight against the door panel and look (as well as you can it's not an easy view) straight down and should see a little slot with clip in it. Get your screwdriver behind the ear and push forward pretty hard until it gives way, and try to have a rag behind it to catch the spring when it pops off. It takes a couple tries until you get used to it. But the tool is the easiest method it just slides behind the crank/door latch (with one hand and the other to catch the clip) and goes up against the two ears on the clip and with a little pressure wallah the clip pops out!
Old 01-17-2003, 05:57 PM   #6
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

If I remmebr right there is 4 bolts on top of grill into each fender and 1 on the bottom. There is also some on the center bar, plu you have unhook turn signals or disconnect them. I am new at this, but removing the grill on my 70 never seems to be quick.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 08:40 PM   #7
69-Chevy-350

thank you all for the help. I hope I can be of assitance one day.
69-Chevy-350 is offline   Reply With Quote