The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-17-2013, 11:48 PM   #1
WhippinSaw

New windshield

The PO of my truck didn't use rubber on the wipers. Anyone have experience with replacement Windshields. Where to buy, how they fit>
Thanls
WhippinSaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 12:00 AM   #2
chevytrucknut61

Re: New windshield

Depending on what year yours is, The 60 to 63 windsheild is easy to break. Better off getting a new one and having it professionally installed. They break it, they bought it. The 64 to 66 can't be too difficult. But my time is worth paying some one to do it right. Just my 2 cents worth.
chevytrucknut61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 12:34 AM   #3
kcsa75

Any glass shop should be able to help you out. I'm getting ready to replace the windshield and the estimate I got was right at $200.

People who blindly follow a GPS end up on television programs on The Weather Channel. Some survive, some don't.
kcsa75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 02:13 AM   #4
WhippinSaw

I am going to practice on the scratched window and a 20 year old gasket. I read some good threads on windshield install and I feel I can do it. The scratch is tolerable for now so I just want to put this whale back together. Classic parts wants around 600 shipped for a new one I'll check some glass companies to get a estimate for a new one installed. Anyone else buy new glass for a knee knocker?
Attached Images

Old 05-19-2013, 10:17 AM   #5
oem4me

How bad is the scratch? Tried polishing it out? I got a pretty ugly scratch to go away using an inexpensive drill motor attachment and glass compound.
I can't say from experience, but using anything other than a high quality, new gasket might give you fits and make it seem more difficult that it should be. I have read many times that lesser brand gaskets will make you hate life.
oem4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 02:39 PM   #6
WhippinSaw

Thanks oem4me, I think most of the marks will buff out but I can feel a couple with my fingernail. There are a few other scratches as well. I bought the gasket 20 years ago and I am just getting to it now. (really slow build) I was more worried about the gasket having dry rot than quality. (they made them good 20 years ago) I saw the new windshields for sale at classic and wanted to find out how they worked out before I ordered one.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:16 PM   #7
chevytrucknut61

I paid 175 for mine installed but that was 20 years ago! They also installed my back glass for no charge. But I had to have new rubber to ease installation.Was easy to remove mine, once I rolled it and flattened the top of the cab it came out by it self. It was Thursday Feb. 25, 1988.
chevytrucknut61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:28 PM   #8
Kevin Harvey

There is a glass dealer where I am at that quoted 180 installed. 99.00 for windshield to doing myself 30 ish for gasket. I like the idea if they break it they fix it well worth the money.
Posted via Mobile Device
Kevin Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:54 PM   #9
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

I bought a new windshield for mine several years ago through a local glass supplier. I think it was about $2-300 at the time. Primary importance to me being I would only accept a Pilkington glass. From my research it remains the best on the market, and is as thick as the original.

The general rule I’ve always used regarding windshield scratches is – if you cannot feel the scratch with your fingernail, it will likely polish out. If you can detect the scratch with a fingernail, it’s too deep to be polished successfully. That doesn’t mean it can’t be done anyway, it just may look wavy afterward as too much glass had to be removed and it will no longer be optically flat.

I’ve done about a dozen various windshields in my lifetime, but trying to reinstall my original was the only failure I’ve ever experienced. I used the old tried and true method of starting at the bottom and working around the perimeter. This doesn’t work on the 60-63 cab because the top of the windshield will end up colliding with the roof overhang.

More recently I reinstalled my existing windshield with a new gasket and the original 60-61 wide windshield trim. Using a different approach, it turned out to be one of the easiest installations I’ve experienced. Installation begins on page 15 of my build thread if there’s any interest in the details. I’ve included pictures of the tools I used and a link to the most helpful video I found on Youtube:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...444502&page=15

Old gaskets are actually easier to install than new ones, “if” they are in perfect condition. They already conform perfectly to the cab, making the installation much easier than using a new seal. During the 60’s & 70’s I never bought a new windshield gasket, I just searched the yards looking for windshields with perfect seals and then I carefully removed them. And there were a lot of good ones to be had, since the cars I was rebuilding were only 10-15 years old at the time. Many yards wouldn’t let you try and save the gasket, because it was easier to avoid breaking the windshield if they just cut the gasket out.

But – using an old windshield gasket is somewhat like reusing an old throwout bearing. It’s a lot of work to do it all over if the seal is dry or brittle and cracks right after installation.

I read everything I could find trying to determine who makes the best windshield gasket for a 60-63 with stainless trim. It appears Precision is the best brand available on the market. The next problem was discovering where to buy one.

I read several posts indicating Steele Rubber Products distributes the Precision windshield seal, but they want $75 plus shipping. I’ve seen Ebay ads specifically listing a Precision windshield gasket, but some of the angry customer feedback indicated they received a Counterbrand gasket instead. So I started with the A’s and figured I’d ask every supplier until I found one that would commit to sending me a Precision branded gasket.

I’m happy to report my first stop was American Classic Truck Parts. I’ve done business with them before and always received quality products without shipping errors. Another benefit was their pricing - $35.00 for their part number WSG60DX.

http://www.americanclassic.com/asp/d...ype=to&exyear=

I was advised they actually have six different suppliers for their windshield gaskets, with Precision being the best brand by far. I specifically requested a Precision Gasket only with no substitutions, and their customer service promised to mark the order with a copy of my email request. I placed the order online and added the “no substitution” note in the special instructions field.

The gasket I received was exactly what I asked for. So this is one supplier that sells the preferred gasket, and at a comparatively inexpensive price. It’s pretty obvious if you receive a genuine Precision gasket. It comes in a big plastic bag with markings all over one side:

Here’s the Precision part number for the 1960-63 gasket with the deluxe trim slot:

And here’s another sticker hand marked to indicate the corresponding American Classic part number:

I inspected every inch of the gasket, and it looked great. The vulcanized joint in the middle was perfect. There were no twists, kinks, or malformed portions and installation was a breeze.

Good luck if you decide to do your own. Just take your time, have a helper to apply pressure, and use generous amounts of lubricant.

I just noticed my somewhat interesting post count "6066". Seems kind of appropriate on this forum!
Old 05-20-2013, 04:47 PM   #10
WhippinSaw

Thanks markeb01
The gasket looks good, so I decided to install the scratched window to practice for the new one. I just installed the rear window with just the window stick you talked about in your posts. (the stick is between the trim in picture above) I tried unsuccessfully to do it with homemade wooden sticks then I ordered the glass stick and it went in first try. I also went to harbor freight for that hook tool. The scatches in the windshield can be felt with your fingernail but most of the haze along with it should buff out. Thank you for posting all of this info, I will look around to find a supplier who deals in pinkerton glass and buy a precision gasket as soon as I get Shamu on the road.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:58 PM   #11
61_FL_Apache
Who Me?

Any doubts, I would have a pro do it..

1997 Tahoe LT 4D 2WD (DD)
2001 Blazer 4D 2WD
1961 Apache 10 (sold)
1965 C10 Stepper (sold)
61_FL_Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:03 PM   #12
WhippinSaw

Thanks all for the help, I thought the windshield was trashed. The windshield was so hazed over it would been hard to drive. I bought a glass polishing kit and buffed out the glass and it cleaned all the haze and only left a couple small scratches. I got a quote to install a new one for $625. I also buffed out a small scratch on the back window but it is a lot easier with the window on the ground. The polishing compound worked as stated.
Attached Images