The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-25-2012, 02:13 AM   #1
Mister-B
Account Suspended

What's this lower trim piece?

Here's a pic of my '69. It has the holes for the silver trim pieces near the top of the tailgate. I also have the trim around the two tail lights. Anyway, I'm looking to buy the kit that includes all the pieces, but I'm seeing an additional lower piece that it includes in the kit, but I don't see mounting holes for it on my truck. Did my truck originally come with that piece or not? How does that lower piece install? Adhesive?

Posted via Mobile Device
Mister-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:46 AM   #2
SS Tim

Re: What's this lower trim piece?

Pretty sure your truck should have both the upper and lower trim strips with the Z62. Here are two pictures for you. In looking through a number of pictures I am wondering if your tailgate is original to the truck. It seems to have flaking to a dark undercoat. Has it been repainted? If so that could explain the difference. If not just go ahead and install it if you want it. Might take a loook at a '69 or 70 brochure before deciding and see how Mar-K is listing the tailgate trim set at their site.
Attached Images

SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:06 AM   #3
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Tim View Post
Pretty sure your truck should have both the upper and lower trim strips with the Z62. Here are two pictures for you. In looking through a number of pictures I am wondering if your tailgate is original to the truck. It seems to have flaking to a dark undercoat. Has it been repainted? If so that could explain the difference. If not just go ahead and install it if you want it. Might take a loook at a '69 or 70 brochure before deciding and see how Mar-K is listing the tailgate trim set at their site.
Boy, good question about the originality of the tailgate. I'm pretty sure it's stock, but I don't know for sure. I wonder how the original lower piece installs though? Adhesive or screws and clips?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-25-2012, 03:42 AM   #4
Andy4639
Old member

Wink Re: What's this lower trim piece?

Mine had clips on it.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:56 AM   #5
SS Tim

Actually LMC seems to do a good job here showing the type location and quantity required in the so little picture. Thought maybe a little color and a resze might help. Kit callout 11 should cover the tailgate and 12 for everything else.
Attached Images

Old 11-25-2012, 10:43 AM   #6
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Actually LMC seems to do a good job here showing the type location and quantity required in the so little picture. Thought maybe a little color and a resze might help. Kit callout 11 should cover the tailgate and 12 for everything else.
Thanks. That helps. Looks like the entire bottom piece goes on with adhesive, at least with the LMC kit. That'll be nice to have that piece there
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-25-2012, 10:45 AM   #7
FirstOwner69

My 69 CST never had the lower tailgate trim. I can't imagine the CST would not have had it if it were available unless it was part of the upper molding option which Tim's pictures indicate is not the case. I saw a previous thread here in the last year that suggsted it was a Blazer thing. Perhaps it was added to the later model years?
FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:49 AM   #8
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstOwner69 View Post
My 69 CST never had the lower tailgate trim. I can't imagine the CST would not have had it if it were available unless it was part of the upper molding option which Tim's pictures indicate is not the case. I saw a previous thread here in the last year that suggsted it was a Blazer thing. Perhaps it was added to the later model years?
Thanks. That definitely adds some questions now, seeing as you bought your truck new in '69, and have had it since.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-25-2012, 11:00 AM   #9
special-K
Special Order

Customs in 67-70 got the lower tailgate trim,as did base trucks with the lower trim option. Also,67/68 CSTs were trimmed the same way. Starting in '69 the CSTs got a tailgate band and no lower trim on tailgate. Same in 71/72 only Customs became Custom Deluxe and CSTs became Cheyennes. There are holes in the lower gate to accept the trim mounting clips

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:08 AM   #10
FirstOwner69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister-B View Post
Thanks. That definitely adds some questions now, seeing as you bought your truck new in '69, and have had it since.
Posted via Mobile Device
Here's a picture of the rearend. Never painted/touched. Only thing changed is the aftermarket sport bumper.
Attached Images

Old 11-25-2012, 11:36 AM   #11
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Customs in 67-70 got the lower tailgate trim,as did base trucks with the lower trim option. Also,67/68 CSTs were trimmed the same way. Starting in '69 the CSTs got a tailgate band and no lower trim on tailgate. Same in 71/72 only Customs became Custom Deluxe and CSTs became Cheyennes. There are holes in the lower gate to accept the trim mounting clips
So, based on my truck being a '69 Custom 20, with the lower trim, do you think it came with the lower tailgate piece or not?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-25-2012, 11:51 AM   #12
mightymouse

my 72 , came with the chrome across the bottom . but was held on with clips and has the holes in the gate for the clips. ..
mightymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:08 PM   #13
too much stuff
Roadtrip!

Quote:
Here's a picture of the rearend. Never painted/touched. Only thing changed is the aftermarket sport bumper.
Quote:
Firstowner, that would be correct as tim stated. I like the truck by the way.
I think tim has it here. The only way i have seen all 3 pieces is on a CST blazer.
mister b, i think yours would have the upper and lower trim. (the thin ones)
70 4x4/BB/bkts/posi/tach(retired)
70 swb (wifes)
70 jimmy camper
71 K-5 factory 2wd
71 cheyenne 4x4/tach/posi/ plow rig
71 Cheyenne20 BB, buckets, tach, tilt, 4 speed
72 jimmy CST wyoming rig
72 jimmy Colorado rig
72 lifted texas 4x4 3/4 ton burb
65 fury conv. 383/auto
65 chrysler 300 "L" 413 auto
too much stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:01 PM   #14
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Your truck looks like it has the wood grain, along with the different chevrolet piece covering the tailgate, so it makes sense to me that yours wouldn't have the lower trim piece. It would look too busy and cluttered on yours if it had it
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-25-2012, 01:29 PM   #15
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

[QUOTE=
I think tim has it here. The only way i have seen all 3 pieces is on a CST blazer.
mister b, i think yours would have the upper and lower trim. (the thin ones)[/QUOTE]

Yea, my 72 Cheyanne package Jimmy has all 3 pieces.
Posted via Mobile Device
Tom Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:58 PM   #16
special-K
Special Order

Yep,Fleetside trucks came three ways from 69/70,as far as rear trim goes:

* No trim-C/10-30
* Tail lamp trim,on tailgate across the handle and cross the bottom-Custom/10-30
* Tail lamp trim,on tailgate across the handle and woodgrain band in center-CST/10-30

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 11-25-2012, 03:20 PM   #17
FirstOwner69

Good info here. Makes sense too!
Old 11-25-2012, 03:23 PM   #18
FirstOwner69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister-B View Post
Your truck looks like it has the wood grain, along with the different chevrolet piece covering the tailgate, so it makes sense to me that yours wouldn't have the lower trim piece. It would look too busy and cluttered on yours if it had it
Posted via Mobile Device
Correct. It's a CST/20.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:27 PM   #19
68jewel
On the path to financial ruin!

Quote:
Now that is just too awesome!! And by the way Mister-B, I am an avid dog lover and your dog is beautiful.

Ooh Wee's Makeover...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=376280
68jewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:36 PM   #20
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68jewel View Post
Now that is just too awesome!! And by the way Mister-B, I am an avid dog lover and your dog is beautiful.
Thanks! He's a lot of fun, and now he has a new favorite word, besides bacon. "Truck" perks his ears. He loves riding around with me. I just installed a heavy duty stainless eyelet with a lead, and it's working well

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-25-2012, 03:47 PM   #21
SS Tim

Looks like you all have confirmed my original thoughts on this. It should have both the upper and lower tailgate trim at the Custom trim level. Why this truck does not is anybody's guess. Still think the gate may have been changed and repainted by the paint flake patterns.
Dug up in my Longhorn files a very original Custom Camper C/20 Custom and a similar CST for some as built pictures.
Attached Images

Old 11-25-2012, 03:49 PM   #22
Andy4639
Old member

Wink Re: What's this lower trim piece?

The picture of the rear of mine in the picture was never touched as far as I know. I was the second owner of the truck. It was a Custom Deluxe and had the bottom trim with holes (no Glue) and clips. I had all the trim removed last time I painted it and welded up.
I would say the tailgate was swaped at some point in the trucks life.
Newer tailgates have the holes I wonder. Would be a lot easier for them not to and just make you drill them depending on what trim level of truck u are going for.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:54 PM   #23
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Looks like you all have confirmed my original thoughts on this. It should have both the upper and lower tailgate trim at the Custom trim level. Why this truck does not is anybody's guess. Still think the gate may have been changed and repainted by the paint flake patterns.
Dug up in my Longhorn files a very original Custom Camper C/20 Custom and a similar CST for some as built pictures.
Thanks Tim. Looks like you've come to the rescue again! My tailgate must not be original. So, I'll definitely install that trim piece when I buy the kit
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-25-2012, 05:36 PM   #24
special-K
Special Order

You're welcome

Tim

Old 11-25-2012, 05:52 PM   #25
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
You're welcome
Awwww. Did you feel left out? Lol

Thanks your your help too
Posted via Mobile Device