The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-03-2014, 05:19 PM   #1
runamuck

vapor lock/electric fuel pump

I have a 1962 chevy 4x4 pu on a 72 blazer frame, I just bought it and it's sweet,, except, I drove it 50 miles one night and no problem, it has a 327ci, and sounds like it might have a moderate cam, it has a edelbrock 4 barrel and a edelbrock intake manafold. The second time I drove it, it ran great for 25 miles then puttered out like it was out of gas, I let it sit for an hour and drove home but after another 25 miles it did the same thing, I poured a little gas in the carb and it would drive a mile or so, that is how I got it home. I figured it was vapor lock, so I changeed the fuel filter to a see through one, and replaced the fuel pump, started and ran fine for the firs 20 miles or so and it started doing the same thing, and the fuel filter was dry, I would "prime" the thing with some gas in the carb and it would again go a few miles and then stall for lack of gas, let it sit for 1/2 hour or so and it would go till it heated up again. vapor lock right? Oh yes, when I put the new mechanical fuel pump on I also added a fuel pressure gauge, and when I first started it up it was about 3 lbs. pressure, then when it would die, and no fuel in filter, ther was no pressure. I just finished switching to a edelbrock red electric fuel pump, and removed and blocked off the hole where the mechanical pump was, while I was working on it, I noticed some of the intake manifold bolts were lose and oil was around them, I could see the oil that was around some of the bolts bubbling when it was running, that is how I found out they were lose so I tightened the bolts, finished the fuel pump conversition, and now it doesn't hardly run, won't idle, backfires through carb and stalls out when you drive it. The fuel pressure now is between 4/12 and 5 pounds at the carb with the electric pump. Could the increase in fuel pressure make it not run (too much gas getting to carb,) or would tightening up the intake manifold, make it so out of tune it wont run? And here is the kicker, when I started it up yesterday with the mechanical pump, my fender cover, and old quilt got caught in the fan and threw the belt, and got all wrapped around the fan,, oop's!! Could that somehow caused the timing chain to jump a gear or something and throw it way out of time?
Attached Images

runamuck is offline   Reply With Quote