The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-05-2011, 11:23 AM   #1
62allenhead

new with a 62

Hey guys, new to the forum. I just picked up a pretty solid 62. Its just primer white right now. It has a 350 and a turbo 400 trans. I was able to drive it home but quickly found out it had bigger tranny issues than I had thought. I was told it just needed a rear seal, but now once it warms up it poors fluid out the front seal so I found another trans to throw in it. Anyway heres a pic of it..sorry its the only one I got right now.

I had a few questions too.
How low can I go with a static drop and no c notch?

Also the timing is off. It has a 350 with an hei distributor. I can't turn the ditributor anymore because the vacuum advance hits the firewall on the passenger side. Do I just need to lift the distributor out and turn it counter clockwise one tooth and drop it back in? Do I make sure the rotor is pointing in the same direction or does it need to turn with the distributor?
62allenhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 11:30 AM   #2
Bugeyev8

Re: new with a 62

Great looking 62, as far as the dist just pull the dist and rotate the engine to TDC #1 and drop the dist back in , the coil on the cap should be paralell to the firewall more or less, and #1 should be the front rh position on the cap if you were standing in front of the truck

Good Luck !!

QUOTE=62allenhead;4531450]Hey guys, new to the forum. I just picked up a pretty solid 62. Its just primer white right now. It has a 350 and a turbo 400 trans. I was able to drive it home but quickly found out it had bigger tranny issues than I had thought. I was told it just needed a rear seal, but now once it warms up it poors fluid out the front seal so I found another trans to throw in it. Anyway heres a pic of it..sorry its the only one I got right now.

I had a few questions too.
How low can I go with a static drop and no c notch?

Also the timing is off. It has a 350 with an hei distributor. I can't turn the ditributor anymore because the vacuum advance hits the firewall on the passenger side. Do I just need to lift the distributor out and turn it counter clockwise one tooth and drop it back in? Do I make sure the rotor is pointing in the same direction or does it need to turn with the distributor?[/QUOTE]
Bugeyev8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 12:56 AM   #3
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Welcome to the forum

Yes that does look like a solid '62....post up some more pics when you get a chance.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:21 AM   #4
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Nice looking truck. Welcome to the forum.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 11:08 AM   #5
scotts62
One day...

Good looking truck! Looks like a 456 grill huh?

93 crew cab build
Project 62
scotts62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 11:21 AM   #6
62allenhead

Thanks for the compliments. Last night I got the other tranny back in. The new trans was out of a 3/4 ton, so it had a bolt in yoke. I thought I was going to have to swap the tail shaft extension, but I lucked out and the slip yoke seemed to work. What I didn't luck out on was the trans mount seems to have a different thread pitch than the other trans. Has anyone else had this problem? If my threads are messed up would it be a problem if i just through bolted it? Also the turbo 400 has an electric kick down which apparently wasn't hooked up on the last trans. What do I need to do to hook that properly. Along with the kick down problem the speedometer cable hook up is a little different. The new trans has a square slot that the cable sits in, my cable has a long skinny metal end rather than short and square. Does anyone know what cable I need? Thanks again.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:25 AM   #7
62allenhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotts62 View Post
Good looking truck! Looks like a 456 grill huh?
I wouldn't doubt it. The whole front end is a little different, the front fenders are fiberglass too.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:39 PM   #8
62 Longbed

Glad to see another 62 on the forum !!! Truck looks good !! Congrats and Welcome form Oregon !!
Attached Images

62 Longbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 08:19 PM   #9
awbrown

great to see another Michigander snag a great truck .. looking forward to seeing more pictures....
awbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:12 PM   #10
Rannos

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62allenhead View Post
Thanks for the compliments. Last night I got the other tranny back in. The new trans was out of a 3/4 ton, so it had a bolt in yoke. I thought I was going to have to swap the tail shaft extension, but I lucked out and the slip yoke seemed to work. What I didn't luck out on was the trans mount seems to have a different thread pitch than the other trans. Has anyone else had this problem? If my threads are messed up would it be a problem if i just through bolted it? Also the turbo 400 has an electric kick down which apparently wasn't hooked up on the last trans. What do I need to do to hook that properly. Along with the kick down problem the speedometer cable hook up is a little different. The new trans has a square slot that the cable sits in, my cable has a long skinny metal end rather than short and square. Does anyone know what cable I need? Thanks again.
Be careful when using a slip yoke in a tranny that had a bolt in yoke. The bolt in yoke tail shaft is different and has a step on the splines for the bolt in yoke to meet up to. If your slip yoke hits this step under a load it can cause all sorts of problems. From cracking the housing to breaking the output/tail shaft. As for the kick down you just need to wire in a switch. Either to your throttle linkage or pedal. There should be a male spade connector on the driver side of the tranny close to the front of the pan about 2 inches up towards the floor board. Run your wire to it. As for the speedo, you mean the cable end is square? If so that's what it should be, if not it's something I haven't seen on a t400 before and would like to see pics of it!
Rannos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:59 PM   #11
62allenhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rannos View Post
Be careful when using a slip yoke in a tranny that had a bolt in yoke. The bolt in yoke tail shaft is different and has a step on the splines for the bolt in yoke to meet up to. If your slip yoke hits this step under a load it can cause all sorts of problems. From cracking the housing to breaking the output/tail shaft.
Is there any way I can find out if my tranny will work this way? Can I swap the tail shaft extensions and avoid this problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rannos View Post
As for the speedo, you mean the cable end is square? If so that's what it should be, if not it's something I haven't seen on a t400 before and would like to see pics of it!
The 3/4 ton trans has a square female end and the 1/2 ton just has a hole really. I can't spin the cable by hand so maybe at some point it caused problems? The cable from the truck has a long skinny flat piece of metal rather than a square end.

Thanks for the heads up.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:43 PM   #12
1Bad62Pro/Street
"Where were you in '62?"

Thumbs up Re: new with a 62

Welcome to the forum Bud.
Glad to see more '62's on here.

Posted via Mobile Device
What Are You Workin' On? - 1Bad62ChevyPickup
PROJECT: "TYRANNORAMBLER REX"
1969 AMC Rambler American Nostalgia Pro/Street
Youtube Channel: Father Son Projects
Youtube Channel: 2TIMOTHY2FITHTEEN

"North and South Carolina Folks Click Here!"
(((( ~ I have Parts For Sale & Miscellaneous Stuff ~ ))))

"Well being as there's no other place around the place,
I reckon this must be the place, I reckon...Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk" -Curly Howard Ph.D.
1Bad62Pro/Street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 11:13 AM   #13
62allenhead

So I got rid of the 3/4 ton turbo 400 and picked up a 700r4. I know I have to fab up a new crossmember and get the driveshaft cut, but what do I do with the 4 prong plug on the side of the tranny? On the driver side rear of the tranny is a 4 prong plug, what do I need to wire this up?

Last edited by 62allenhead; 03-19-2011 at 11:14 AM.
Old 03-20-2011, 01:03 AM   #14
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

You can use any truck auto trans crossmember from '63-'87 with the 700R4. You'll just have to move it back some and drill new holes. As for hooking up the trans, that plug is for the torque converter lock up. This really needs to be wired up and connected for proper operation and longer trans life. Another thing to be aware of on the 700R4's is the TV cable setup. Some will call it a kick down cable....it is not. The proper setup of the TV cable is very, very important on the 700R4's. If it is not done correctly, you will surely burn up that trans in a hurry. The best place for the TV kit as well as info on adjustment is http://www.bowtieoverdrives.com

You can also go to the 'Engine and Drivetrain' section of thos forum and do a search for '700R4' and or 'TV cable' and you will find many threads on the subject.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62allenhead View Post
So I got rid of the 3/4 ton turbo 400 and picked up a 700r4. I know I have to fab up a new crossmember and get the driveshaft cut, but what do I do with the 4 prong plug on the side of the tranny? On the driver side rear of the tranny is a 4 prong plug, what do I need to wire this up?
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 06:59 AM   #15
Lolyin58

Welcome! Great truck you got. It's got very nice potential and will be alot of fun.
Lolyin58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 06:24 PM   #16
62allenhead

Well I finally got my trans. all buttoned up and I painted the wheels and threw on some wide whites. Sorry for the bad pic, we are going to hit a car show this weekend so hopefully I will have some better pics after that. I also put an old fender flag pole, from my vw days, where the antenna used to be...I still need to wire it up though.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:37 PM   #17
awbrown

What car show ???
awbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:48 PM   #18
62allenhead

Nothing special, just our local moose lodge show. Probably more beer drinking than car showing
Old 06-09-2011, 12:34 AM   #19
mikesC10

nice truck
mikesC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 02:32 PM   #20
kieth

did your 700r4 have a exciter for the speedo signal or did it have a manual drive for your speedo ? I had to change from the electronic to the manual drive. It was easy after getting the parts. Kieth

Here is a link to pictures of my 700r4 and changing it out for a manual speedo cable. I got the parts from some place in Louisiana..........cannot remember......getting old....

http://kieth.smugmug.com/Trucks/66-G...13173619_4TK8C

Last edited by kieth; 06-10-2011 at 02:41 PM.
kieth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 02:49 PM   #21
eurospec1

Great looking truck
eurospec1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 08:50 PM   #22
LakeShow24

very nice truck. great pick up (pun inteded)... do you have any pics of your vw's?
LakeShow24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:59 PM   #23
62allenhead

heres a few pics of my old 67'. My wife has been on me to get another one so hopefully I can make that happen.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:00 PM   #24
62allenhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieth View Post
did your 700r4 have a exciter for the speedo signal or did it have a manual drive for your speedo ? I had to change from the electronic to the manual drive. It was easy after getting the parts. Kieth

Here is a link to pictures of my 700r4 and changing it out for a manual speedo cable. I got the parts from some place in Louisiana..........cannot remember......getting old....

http://kieth.smugmug.com/Trucks/66-G...13173619_4TK8C
I believe my tranny is the older style? It was the manual drive.