The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-25-2014, 10:14 AM   #1
j.rigby15r

need wiring help. pictures please.

So I am trying to figure out the wiring on my 64. It is all messed up and I don't have the time or money to buy a new harness. What I would like its some pictures of your wiring under your hood. Were the harnesses come through the fire wall, and were they go. I'm trying to figure out the wiring to the starter, alternator and gauges. If you can send pictures I can fallow that would be great. I have diagrams but would like pictures also. Please help.
j.rigby15r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 01:52 PM   #2
Kenfuzed

Re: need wiring help. pictures please.

I don't have pics of all the wiring but I did happen to snap this shot of the wires connected to my starter before pulling the old 250 out of my 66 C10. On my truck the purple, black, green, and white wires shown come from a single harness connected next to the heater box on the firewall. The red and heavier black wire lead to the battery. I can't say for certain this is correct, it is how the PO had it wired. It is difficult to see in this picture but white/green/black are all on the same terminal shown on the left.

For the Alternator it was just a heavy gauge red wire that lead from the alternator to a junction, and then to the positive of the battery. If you have a 3 wire alternator you'll need to account for the sensing wire that goes to pos and the wire that goes to the dash indicator light (I think it's brown on our trucks).
Attached Images

Ken's 1966 C10 build "Red Ale"
Follow on Instgram: @cv_performance
https://instagram.com/cv_performance
Harley Performance Parts: CV Performance (Harley related)
Enjoying the ride!

Last edited by Kenfuzed; 10-25-2014 at 02:05 PM.
Kenfuzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 03:51 PM   #3
StupudMunkee

I have some photos of my 65 SWB that I took a few weekends ago. I labeled the connections and firewall locations (as they are on mine) for later use. I'll post the link to my google drive share rather than share each one individually.

The firewall holes were labelled from driver side to passenger. Should be able to tell from the photos where they are on your vehicle. As I am undoing the POs work, there is no guarantee that this is how it was supposed to be done.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...Hc&usp=sharing
StupudMunkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 01:20 PM   #4
?Lil George

I have a 66 SWB Stepside that was a custom cab. I have a new wiring harness from autowire and a factory wiring diagram. Problem is diagram does not show how to wire a wiper motor with washer pump. Does anyone have a clue on the wiring?
?Lil George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 08:37 PM   #5
Oscar73

Just a quick comment for the StupudMunkee. Photo 11 of 16 in the GoogleDrive shots shows the water temperature sensor wire marked as "oil pressure". You might want to correct that. It's the line with the coiled wire coming out of the front half of the left head, between the header tubes. Other than that, thanks for the pics!
Oscar73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 09:23 PM   #6
?Lil George

Thanks for the help guys and I think this should get us on the right path. I will say this is you order an instrument cluster and panel make sure to spring for the instrument wiring harness as it will save you a ton of time. Truck is getting better all the time and we have had it running today--YES!
?Lil George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 11:18 AM   #7
StupudMunkee

Thanks, Oscar73. I caught that later when I was disconnecting.
StupudMunkee is offline   Reply With Quote