The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-05-2017, 07:42 PM   #1
Chilly178

Starter Decision

Hello, I recently decided to pull the stater off of my 1972 C20 4 speed 350. I decided to do this just to get it rebuilt and prevent failure in the future, even though I never had an issue with it. So when I pulled the starter off there was only two bolts holding it in instead of three. Upon further investigating I find out that the bottom inside hole was broken, meaning that the material around the hole was gone on the one side so it is useless. So I looked on the forums and find that this was a somewhat common issue, either due to the fact that the front brace is not there to support it, or someone put the wrong type of bolts in. So whatever it's broken, well i'm not about to spend tons of money just to fix a hole for a starter that seems to work just find. During my research on the web about these types of starters I found this very informative website. http://rmcavoy.freeshell.org/starters.html So the third photo down on the page shows exactly what I think I have, except for one of the one inch bolts the hole is gone where it threads in to. So I think to myself, well if I just buy the front brace and put the two bolts in it will be fine. If you look at the 8th photo down you will see what I mean. The problem is on my starter I don't have a post like that on the front. It just has two bolts going in on each side, no post that stick out for it. If you look at the first photo on this forum http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=492532 and look on the bottom bolt on the front of the starter at the very bottom of the photo that is what both of mine are. I also couldn't quite see where the brace would bolt up on the block on my engine since it's all pretty caked around there. So do I just put the two bolts in and call it good, or can I still use the brace without the post and just put it like a washer on the bolt going into the starter?
Chilly178 is offline   Reply With Quote