The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-01-2012, 01:54 AM   #1
ruddbow

Restoring inner bed sides

I am struggling with deciding on either restoring the inside walls of my box or spraying a bedliner material. Is there a post that shows before/after pics? Mine has no major dents, just surface rust. The wheel wells show alot of bumps/bruises. I would appreciate any responses you may have. Thank You.
ruddbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:44 AM   #2
srziemkowski

Re: Restoring inner bed sides

Was thinking same idea,i think im going to lay some kbs paint on it after cleaning it up then put the bedliner type coating over it.
srziemkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:58 AM   #3
1963c-10

I did a roll in dupli color liner. Not the best pics but heres during and after
Attached Images

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=619024
1964 Short bed trailer
1963c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 01:11 PM   #4
ruddbow

excellent! thanks
ruddbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 01:34 PM   #5
GMR-PERFORMANCE

I plan on shooting the inner with dargk grey liner as well. I am going to do some work to get the wheel wells filled and knocked into shape. Mine had some pretty good dents, I bought a stud gun, and have been pulling them out and shrinking the metal. A small amount of filler will be needed and once that is done and I shoot it with primer, I may paint but the game plan at this point is to use a liner. Unless of course it turns out so nice that it can be painted.. I have seen the liner done and they can tint it now to almost a spot on match to paint color that it makes sense to not freak out over the inside of a truck box.
GMR-PERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:29 PM   #6
jocko

if you've only got surface rust, I'd go to the trouble of restoring the metal rather than spraying in the liner. I'm not implying that everyone that sprays a liner is hiding dents - in fact some of them look really nice. It's just my personal opinion that I like new trucks with spray in liners, I like old trucks (i.e. like ours) to show the metal - even if it's not cherry.

I guess ya gotta ask yourself - are you spraying because you won't have to worry about dinging it up in the future and it's easier - or because it is what you actually prefer to have in there? If the latter, then spray away. One more consideration - resale: a spray in liner seems to detract from the resale of our old trucks, at least that's what I've seen. May not hurt the price you sell it for, but it might take longer to sell it because many folks immediately turn off looking at a bedlinered truck.

My 2 cents only
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote