The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-24-2014, 11:22 AM   #1
TFagan

A/C for a 1958

I was wanting some suggestions on what A/C system to install. I installed a 1995 LT1 in my 58. It still has the compressor on it. I do not mind using the existing heater and just adding a center mount a/c unit - but I really dont know the preos and cons.

Tom
TFagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:40 PM   #2
roger55

Re: A/C for a 1958

I'm just finishing the install right now on the A/C in my '57. I went with the Vintage Air GenIV electronic system with the deluxe control. The control is wonderful quality. I would not go any other way except with the electronic too. I hate the cables.

That said, the install does have some difficult parts and takes a lot of patience. Best to remove the seat and give yourself a lot of room.

I untaped the whole harness and did some mods to it. I don't like some of the things VA does with the harness wiring. Not a problem for me to modify though.
roger55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 10:03 PM   #3
TFagan

Thanks for the reply. I will definitely research that system tomorrow. I installed the PCM for the LT1 beneath the radio. Will that call problems?
TFagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 10:48 PM   #4
roger55

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFagan View Post
Thanks for the reply. I will definitely research that system tomorrow. I installed the PCM for the LT1 beneath the radio. Will that call problems?
I would wager that no matter what system you went with you'd have to move that PCM out from under the radio.

I could not find any place to mount the ECM for my TPI engine in mine. I went through this just last week. Between the A/C and the Raingear wiper system, there just isn't any room under these dashes. I ended up extending the wires on my harness so I could mount the ECM on the back of the cab behind the seat.

Here's a shot of the dash with the VA installed. Notice the side louvers. Those are an upgrade from VA just for 55-59 pickups. They are excellent quality.
The plastic side vents the kit comes with are bad just as they are from the other manufacturers.

Last edited by roger55; 06-24-2014 at 11:12 PM.
roger55 is offline   Reply With Quote