The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-14-2014, 06:42 PM   #1
jlk

Ball joint time...

I bought a 1976 GMC High Sierra K15 shortbox a few months ago, the tires are wearing funny and upon inspection, some numbnuts put 2 lower ball joints on the right side knuckle. I just ordered Spicer ball joints off amazon for $59.50 a pair, shipped, upper/lower.

The ball joint threaded sleeve on that side is kinda hogged out where the tool fits in the notches to remove it so that will probably suck when I have to remove it. I have the correct tool. I sprayed the crap out of it with penetrating oil the other day.

I've done ball joints before but never used the Spicer non-greaseable ball joints, I'm on a tight budget so I opted for the Spicers. I still have to buy the spindle seal/bearing kit and I'm prob gonna replace the inner axle seals as well since I'll be in there.

I don't 4 wheel hard so hopefully they'll last a while. If I can remember (don't hold your breath) I'll post pics while I do it for any that might care.
jlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 10:24 AM   #2
stampy

Re: Ball joint time...

Hey I'm interested in seeing some pics. I need to do this in the spring to my 79 K1500 as well. Thanks.
stampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 10:40 AM   #3
turp mcspray

I've used several different brand of ball joints in my blazer. With big tires, and some hard use, the only ones that didn't get loose in 6 months time were spicers.
As far as the sleeve, don't try to remove it untill after you have the knuckle broke loose. That will alleviate a lot of pressure from it.
My Blazer build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342299
turp mcspray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 02:20 PM   #4
jlk

I'm running a 4" lift and 33" tires. Hopefully the Spicers will hold up for a while. I will definitely pull the top ball joint out of the knuckle before I try to remove the sleeve. It's probably going to be a couple weeks before I tear into it. My health isn't great.
jlk is offline   Reply With Quote