The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-02-2007, 11:19 PM   #1
jmking9

How Common is this?

My cab is not really that rusty at all. But when I pulled the gastank I found this rust on both sides. This is where the tank bolts to the floor (this is the pass side, the drivers side is not as bad). Is this common? How hard would this be to fix, and whats the best way to do it?
Attached Images

Old 08-02-2007, 11:39 PM   #2
72armyswbtruck

Re: How Common is this?

Isn't that where the cab mounts sid on the underside, or pretty close in location?????? Someone else here I know will chime in on this one.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:52 PM   #3
Aarons72s

Mine in my orange truck were like that but worse. I had to cut the whole rear floor out and replace on mine. It rusts there because tit is where the upper floor and the rear cab support that goes from one side of the cab to the other is. The factory left gaps between the floor and the support and unused holes in the support. So dirt, salt, mud water and such would get in there and eventually rust it out. A couple dollars of seallant and 3 hole plugs at the factory and this wouldnt have happened.
Aarons72s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 12:41 AM   #4
DESTRO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarons72s View Post
The factory left gaps between the floor and the support and unused holes in the support. So dirt, salt, mud water and such would get in there and eventually rust it out.

Planned obsolescence. I swear it's on purpose!!!
DESTRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 01:17 AM   #5
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Kansas seems to have more rust issues than any other 'southern' state that I have seen, my last two trucks were from there. However... with that being said, I've seen trucks here with the floor under the fuel tank MISSING. I looked at one (that was for sale as a work truck) that had a small I beam going actross the back of the cab underneath to support the cab... the seat was also bolted to it.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote