The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-16-2009, 11:38 PM   #1
im tha best

i need some questions answered asap

Ok I'm some might say I'm just a kid and what not but I love my truck and I have so much in mind but I know its gonna take time and effort cause if it was easy everyone would be doing it. I know some things but I dont know all that I need to.

Along those lines, I have a few questions

1. Is it absolutely necessary for me to put new shocks on after I install aftermarket drop springs and I have 255/70/17 all the way around and I'm planning on doing a 3/5 drop but I was wondering if I would have enough room for it so it wouldnt rub.

2. What would i need to do in order to fix my speedomoter which is broken along with my fuel gauge which is also broken. Along those lines, how difficult would it be to install a tach in the center between the speedometer and the fuel gauge in the stock empty spot?

3. I just now started going through my truck becuase I havent had the time to spend on it, but when I bought it, the guy i got it from said whatever was inside the truck was mine. So there is new window rubber, I'm guessing because the passenger doesnt have a seal and the driver side is blowing off into the wind. literally. The only thing is, I dont know how to put it in and i dont know what kinda of glue or whatever I need to keep it up there. Its a loonnngggg piece of rubber that fits exactly in the window seal spot so Im pretty sure thats what its for.

4. I do not have power brakes and I just replaced the front brakes and I have the rear brakes to be put on tomorrow but it still takes for ever for me to stop. The pedal can be allll the way on the floor and its still creepin through the stop sign but if I push really hard it just locks up the front tires and they squeal and cause a scene. How would I go about fixing that problem and how can I make it where the pedal only travels a small distance before it starts to stop insteat of stomping on it with all my body weight? I know that when you take the drum off there is a little spacer wheel that you can turn to make your brakes expand or contract but Im not sure if thats what I need to do in order to have a shorter stopping distance.

Thats pretty much all I have for now. If you wanna see some pictures of anything I'm talking about I'll try and get some up here.

Thanks for all your help.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:25 AM   #2
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

Re: i need some questions answered asap

Just wanted to say that I saw the bigger pic of your truck and that thing looks pretty darn straight and original. I'm off to bed but welcome to the board!!! You'll get your questions answered.
prostreetC-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 12:37 AM   #3
maddog1331

Quote:
Originally Posted by im tha best View Post
2. What would i need to do in order to fix my speedomoter which is broken along with my fuel gauge which is also broken. Along those lines, how difficult would it be to install a tach in the center between the speedometer and the fuel gauge in the stock empty spot?

3. I just now started going through my truck becuase I havent had the time to spend on it, but when I bought it, the guy i got it from said whatever was inside the truck was mine. So there is new window rubber, I'm guessing because the passenger doesnt have a seal and the driver side is blowing off into the wind. literally. The only thing is, I dont know how to put it in and i dont know what kinda of glue or whatever I need to keep it up there. Its a loonnngggg piece of rubber that fits exactly in the window seal spot so Im pretty sure thats what its for.
I think I can help a little, but most of these guys know way more than me.

2. Check to see if speedometer cable is hooked up both in back of dash and at transmission. If it is hooked up in both places, you might want to take it out and reinstall, especially in back of dash. You can actually put in the speedo in back of dash without really getting it set in place....when installing speedo make sure that it really seats (you will kind of feel this with your hand I think) before screwing it in.

As for fuel gauge, check to see if the wires are hooked up to the tank, and see if wiring harness is securely placed in back of dash. It sounds to me someone slapped the dash in maybe and didn't hook everything back up.

3. Is this the window seal that goes in where the window will roll up into it? If so, all I did was take out the old, and put the new in at the bottom and pushed it up until I got it all in place. I have heard you might could use a bit of oil on this to make it easier, but I don't know if that will harm the seal or not.

Also, welcome to the board I hope you have lots of fun with your truck!
maddog1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 05:24 AM   #4
special-K
Special Order

Welcome from another "kid".

You need to replace your shocks with shorter ones.The suspension is shortened.Tires have nothing to do with it.I`m not familiar with that size tire.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 05:37 AM   #5
rwolf9653
more ideas than money

1. You really need the new shocks.
2. As mentioned above make sure that the cable is attached at both ends and doesn't spin freely when connected at one end, then make sure that the drive gear assembly at the transmission is not worn out. If all of that is good than the speedometer is bad. For the fuel guage it is usually a wiring problem like a loose connection, bad connection etc.
3. See how the gasket is installed on your other door (if it is still there) and follow that. You can also use weatherstripping adhesive but it is not usually need for that seal, it should just snap into place.
4. Bleed the brakes first. If that does not fix it I would look into replacing the master cylinder or the brake propotioning valve (assuming your brake pads/shoes are good).

Welcome to the board.

1948 Chevy 3100 5 window
1966 Chevy C30 Dually
1967 Chevy K10
1972 Chevy K20
1972 Chevy C10
1972 Chevy K5 Blazer
1987 Chevy V10
2003 Chevy Suburban
rwolf9653 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 11:32 AM   #6
KMACD71

If you're dropping your truck 5" in the back, the angle of the shock is going to be off. It will be layed out more and the ride will suffer. A shock relocator kit and panhard bar is something you may want to consider. I am sure some people do the drop without, maybe they can tell you how it rides.

Last edited by KMACD71; 08-17-2009 at 11:34 AM.
KMACD71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 12:55 PM   #7
mclairmo

Bleed brakes, make sure the teeth on the brake self adjusters are in good shape and not rounded off, adjust them so that the shoes are close to the drums but still allow you to install the drums, check all 3 rubber brake hoses for hardness, splits, cracks or balooning. Make sure master cylinder and all four wheels cylinders are not leaking any fluid. Make sure brake shoes don't have any brake fluid or grease on the face of the friction material. Make sure that the small pads on the backing plate that the shoes ride on are not grooved and are greased lightly to allow the shoes to move freely without catching and/or popping in and out.
mclairmo is offline   Reply With Quote