The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-29-2015, 05:02 AM   #1
Mayhem.Evol

A bit overwhelmed. Any advice?

I'll try to get to the point quick. So last April I finally bought myself a truck, having no money and being dumb I picked up a 1980 lwb for next to nothing. It needs everything. I replaced the headgaskets on the 350(target master crate I think) and got it running.. not very well though.

Fast forward to the end of September, I lose my job. Luckily I got a call 3 days after being let go from the place I'd been wanting to work for over 2 years. But I had 2 weeks off so I tore the front clip off and bagged up all the bolts and removed all accessories from the engine. That brings us to today

The truck needs everything basically and I've never done anything like this before. I want to work on it but I seem to get overwhelmed everytime I try to. I work 5pm-5am during the week and 1pm-9pm on saturdays. This leaves me with little time to get anything done on my truck, so I really want to be as efficient as I can be with the time I do have.

I've tried making lists but I just don't know where to start really. I'd rather not keep disassembling without replaces to go back in the old parts places..

Any advice on where to start or how you guys go about this big of a project with little time?

Sorry if this went nowhere. I have so many questions I don't want to pack them all into this post lol
Mayhem.Evol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 05:45 AM   #2
andrewmp6

Re: A bit overwhelmed. Any advice?

Lets talk about your goals with the truck,Do you want it stockish or lowered or lifted if its a 4x4.Interior stockish with tasteful upgrades or fully custom?Some people spend 6 months some spend 6 years it just takes time and money to see your goal to the end.The best thing about these trucks the aftermarket is huge and you can still find good used parts also.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 05:51 AM   #3
donut

Relax and take your time. No big builds in my wheelhouse sooo.

Front clip is off, usually what i do at this point is mainly front related. Clean up engine bay, Trace out and replace vacuum lines if needed. Brakes if they need attention (including hard lines) How about front elect? Wiring in good shape?

What I try to do is keep it somewhat functional and try to make the basic systems work like they should. Once it gets to the point of being used as a daily driver, then dig deeper. Be aware, time and money for your project don't always coincide. In my case, if I have the time, I don't have the money...

Be realistic with your goals, if you allow an hour to do something, it's gonna take 6

I'm kinda like duct tape- no real purpose, but handy to have around.
donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 05:53 AM   #4
Mayhem.Evol

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmp6 View Post
Lets talk about your goals with the truck,Do you want it stockish or lowered or lifted if its a 4x4.Interior stockish with tasteful upgrades or fully custom?Some people spend 6 months some spend 6 years it just takes time and money to see your goal to the end.The best thing about these trucks the aftermarket is huge and you can still find good used parts also.
As far as interior goes, completely stock or close to. I really like the stock interiors. I'd like to lower the truck some, maybe eventually throw some rims on it (nothing crazy) and have a stock look other than that. Once I get most of it done I'd then like to build an engine for it. Or maybe have it built.
Old 01-29-2015, 07:04 AM   #5
andrewmp6

Look around at pictures on here to picture on your head what your truck will be when you get it done.
Old 01-29-2015, 07:37 AM   #6
Mayhem.Evol

Quote:
Originally Posted by donut View Post
Relax and take your time. No big builds in my wheelhouse sooo.

Front clip is off, usually what i do at this point is mainly front related. Clean up engine bay, Trace out and replace vacuum lines if needed. Brakes if they need attention (including hard lines) How about front elect? Wiring in good shape?

What I try to do is keep it somewhat functional and try to make the basic systems work like they should. Once it gets to the point of being used as a daily driver, then dig deeper. Be aware, time and money for your project don't always coincide. In my case, if I have the time, I don't have the money...

Be realistic with your goals, if you allow an hour to do something, it's gonna take 6
I guess I'm just a little distressed because I haven't really had the time to work on it since October due to my work hours and I really want to get back to doing something on it.

Right now it's in the yard w/ the front clip in pieces next to it.

I made a quick list of things while at work(just got home).

So obviously it'll need things like some body work and almost all of the drivetrain. However I really want to build under that first.

Wiring is pretty bad throughout the engine bay and some of the cab.

I'd like rebuild the suspension(front and rear). Not exactly sure what all I need for this. I've done some research and found a few threads. Do I need to remove the bed to do any of the rear suspension work? and what all do I need for the front?

I'd like to redo the whole brake system just for my own comfort and for it to be done. I've only driven the truck once(2 miles round trip) and they worked but still I'd like to upgrade/replace whatever I can.

Would suspension/brakes be a good foundation to start on? I just want to make a plan so I don't waste the few hours I have just staring at it and thinking

I suppose after those I could then tidy up the engine bay some. I need to get that motor/trans out of there anyway, but I have no hoist and my hours make it hard to be able to rent one.

As a last thought, I have no need of this truck being a usable or daily driver while I build it though I do like the concept you shared, I never really thought of it like that.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:55 AM   #7
Desert1957

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem.Evol View Post
I guess I'm just a little distressed because I haven't really had the time to work on it since October due to my work hours and I really want to get back to doing something on it.

Right now it's in the yard w/ the front clip in pieces next to it.

I made a quick list of things while at work(just got home).

So obviously it'll need things like some body work and almost all of the drivetrain. However I really want to build under that first.

Wiring is pretty bad throughout the engine bay and some of the cab.

I'd like rebuild the suspension(front and rear). Not exactly sure what all I need for this. I've done some research and found a few threads. Do I need to remove the bed to do any of the rear suspension work? and what all do I need for the front?

I'd like to redo the whole brake system just for my own comfort and for it to be done. I've only driven the truck once(2 miles round trip) and they worked but still I'd like to upgrade/replace whatever I can.

Would suspension/brakes be a good foundation to start on? I just want to make a plan so I don't waste the few hours I have just staring at it and thinking

I suppose after those I could then tidy up the engine bay some. I need to get that motor/trans out of there anyway, but I have no hoist and my hours make it hard to be able to rent one.

As a last thought, I have no need of this truck being a usable or daily driver while I build it though I do like the concept you shared, I never really thought of it like that.
How much experience do you have doing any mechanical work?

The tasks you have listed require quite a bit of ability, some more than others

Is this going to be your daily driver? If not take your time, don't keep jumping around. If you start the engine drive-line repairs, finish them before moving on.

Desert
Desert1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 10:11 AM   #8
Dead Parrot

I suggest you pause and do a full assessment of your current truck. What is good and what needs fixing? From what you have posted, sounds like the body is in decent shape and the mechanical systems could need a lot of work.

For the first pass, don't worry about cost to fix, just note things you know need fixing. Do make a difference between need tos and want tos. Example of a need to is making sure the brakes are in good shape. A want to is lowering/raising the truck.

Once you have your list, then worry about attaching estimated costs to the various items. Example, you have mentioned brakes. Do a little internet research on brake repair then take a close look at yours and compare what you see on your truck with what the repair sites show. Then prices the parts that you think you might need when you start fixing the brakes. NOTE - you will almost always need more parts then you first think.

May be worth while to hire a mechanic to do a preliminary rough estimate of needs and parts costs. If you go that route, make sure the mechanic understands you want to do much of the work yourself and you are paying him/her for a one time professional consultation.

The goal is to come up with a bottom line figure on repair costs with you providing a lot of the labor.

While doing your repair assessments, also be checking want ads and sites like Craigslist for prices on similar trucks that are moving under their own power. You might be able to purchase a truck with a rough body and good drive train and fix that one up using body parts from your current truck. It is often cheaper to purchase a mechanically sound truck then it is to take a dead one and return it to mechanically sound condition.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 04:08 PM   #9
Mayhem.Evol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert1957 View Post
How much experience do you have doing any mechanical work?

The tasks you have listed require quite a bit of ability, some more than others

Is this going to be your daily driver? If not take your time, don't keep jumping around. If you start the engine drive-line repairs, finish them before moving on.

Desert
No experience other than what I've done on the truck previously. I bought it to learn something. No it will not be a daily driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Parrot View Post
I suggest you pause and do a full assessment of your current truck. What is good and what needs fixing? From what you have posted, sounds like the body is in decent shape and the mechanical systems could need a lot of work.

For the first pass, don't worry about cost to fix, just note things you know need fixing. Do make a difference between need tos and want tos. Example of a need to is making sure the brakes are in good shape. A want to is lowering/raising the truck.

Once you have your list, then worry about attaching estimated costs to the various items. Example, you have mentioned brakes. Do a little internet research on brake repair then take a close look at yours and compare what you see on your truck with what the repair sites show. Then prices the parts that you think you might need when you start fixing the brakes. NOTE - you will almost always need more parts then you first think.

May be worth while to hire a mechanic to do a preliminary rough estimate of needs and parts costs. If you go that route, make sure the mechanic understands you want to do much of the work yourself and you are paying him/her for a one time professional consultation.

The goal is to come up with a bottom line figure on repair costs with you providing a lot of the labor.

While doing your repair assessments, also be checking want ads and sites like Craigslist for prices on similar trucks that are moving under their own power. You might be able to purchase a truck with a rough body and good drive train and fix that one up using body parts from your current truck. It is often cheaper to purchase a mechanically sound truck then it is to take a dead one and return it to mechanically sound condition.
Actually the body isn't great. Bed has damage on the side behind the rear wheel and the bed floor is rusting through. Hood is bend pretty bad, rust/paint bubbles on the fender. Floorboards aren't the greatest.

The list seems to comprise of mostly bad(I've always known this). The truck was kind of bought just for me to tinker with w/ little money and try to learn some stuff. I don't know if I ever meant to really turn it into a full on project. Now that I have some money, I have done plenty of looking for other trucks and maybe i should just buy another one that isn't so bad now that I have the money and the ability to save quickly more than the time to work on them.
Old 01-29-2015, 07:22 PM   #10
donut

When I bought my '73, it was a tool to plow the driveway. Hot supper when it sank to the front axle in mud made me pick up a used engine, soon after the trans went...
Following summer I had some money and was planning on a newer truck (used). Alas, rusted rockers, holes in floorboards and a 10 grand price tag made me rethink the '73 sitting in the dooryard. My truck was not a daily, though when it was done it could be.

Biggest friends you could have (other than an experienced friend) Chiltons manual and a digital camera to take pics before you tear something apart, so it all goes back together correctly.

Old 01-29-2015, 08:37 PM   #11
Oregoon
Roadside Rebuilder

My advice: Obtain manuals, tools, and take your time. Ask lots of questions--this place is an excellent resource, full of great folks who will take the time to help you out. Post photos whenever you're stumped.

Skills come from trial and error, and that comes from initiative, and they all rely on patience. Search the Web, read books, and absorb as much as you can.

And if you really get bogged down, there's nothing wrong with farming a job out. Sometimes, it takes nothing more than a fresh set of eyes to get the ball rolling again. If you can establish a good relationship with a local mechanic, perhaps you can do a work-trade with him or her? I don't know what you do for a living, but having a mechanical ace-in-the-hole is always a good bet.

I'm a pretty decent wrench myself, and I drive a semi for a living, as well as do some freelance writing. And when I get in a pinch, I swap carpentry, drywall, and roofing work with a buddy who turns wrenches for a living.

I try my best to be self-reliant, but there are times when that means relying on a relationship.

You can do this. You're asking the right crowd of people!
Oregoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 09:22 PM   #12
Mayhem.Evol

Thanks for all of the encouragement! I think I'll take the advice mentioned above and do a thorough assessment and post pics and ask for some advice.

Maybe I'll start a build thread to keep it organized and to have an open thread for general questions as I work. I have tons of pics from everything I've disassembled so I think I can get it back together when the time comes. I should still get a manual for it though. When I went to pick one up at the auto parts store the guy told me about a good one online but I've forgotten. I have a pdf of the manual on my pc but I'd rather have a hard copy I think
Old 01-29-2015, 09:56 PM   #13
tucsonjwt

Not what you want to hear, but I don't like putting any money in a rusty truck. The rust will show up everywhere if you keep looking for it. I don't know how you came by a rusty truck in TX (must have been a rust belt import), but I would seriously consider getting a truck that is not rusted and save what you can from that truck you now have. You probably have a lot of valuable components in it.

Rust free trucks are everywhere in the southwest. Most are mechanically beat and leak oil, but you have a fairly good body to work with.

I would take a step back and evaluate what is on Craigslist in your area.

Then I would consider taking a basic auto mechanics course at your local community college. You won't become a mechanic in one course, but you will meet a lot of guys (and some gals) who will likely know a lot (or think they know a lot) and who have tools and space and can help you get your truck in shape. Most courses will take in a vehicle or two as a project - so save up some money for parts and have them make your truck a project, while you are also learning as you work on your truck. Talk to the instructor and see if he can give you some pointers - they like talking to people like you. He can give you some advice on what kind of vehicle to buy - it might not even be a truck.

I know you say you have no time, but I have been in your spot before and found that if you eliminate everything from your life except work and school for a while you can get a lot done. It is all a matter of priorities and how serious you are about moving ahead. Just meeting other people at school who are in the same boat as you are will be a big help and you will get some socialization there.

Just my $.02, since you asked.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 10:27 PM   #14
Mayhem.Evol

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonjwt View Post
Not what you want to hear, but I don't like putting any money in a rusty truck. The rust will show up everywhere if you keep looking for it. I don't know how you came by a rusty truck in TX (must have been a rust belt import), but I would seriously consider getting a truck that is not rusted and save what you can from that truck you now have. You probably have a lot of valuable components in it.

Rust free trucks are everywhere in the southwest. Most are mechanically beat and leak oil, but you have a fairly good body to work with.

I would take a step back and evaluate what is on Craigslist in your area.

Then I would consider taking a basic auto mechanics course at your local community college. You won't become a mechanic in one course, but you will meet a lot of guys (and some gals) who will likely know a lot (or think they know a lot) and who have tools and space and can help you get your truck in shape. Most courses will take in a vehicle or two as a project - so save up some money for parts and have them make your truck a project, while you are also learning as you work on your truck. Talk to the instructor and see if he can give you some pointers - they like talking to people like you. He can give you some advice on what kind of vehicle to buy - it might not even be a truck.

I know you say you have no time, but I have been in your spot before and found that if you eliminate everything from your life except work and school for a while you can get a lot done. It is all a matter of priorities and how serious you are about moving ahead. Just meeting other people at school who are in the same boat as you are will be a big help and you will get some socialization there.

Just my $.02, since you asked.
I definitely asked and am open to options of all sorts. Buying another truck with a good body is something I'm definitely considering. Like I said before I'm not 100% on dumping money into this one yet. I know I'm just impatient and finally have some money and want to get started on something. I've been watching Craigslist but I can't decide on a budget just yet and it seems like prices are way different than even a year ago. Idk could just be me but I see way to much of people asking 3k for a truck still halfway in the woods (yes literally) just because it's a shortbed

As for the school, I've thought about doing that and there is a community college right down the road from where I work (I went there for their machining program). But I'm not sure if I can really do this. I do have other priorities in life other than work that are more important to me than my old truck. Still I might actually look into what kind of schedules they have for the automotive tech stuff up there.

Edit: I do work with a guy that has a shortbed step side that he's built himself. Maybe I should chat him up sometime and ask for some advice on trucks in the area
Old 01-29-2015, 11:43 PM   #15
andrewmp6

Sit down and make a list of everything you need to do to the truck.When things feel like your running in place do some of the small things on the list so you feel like you got something done on it.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:55 PM   #16
Oregoon
Roadside Rebuilder

A few things:

1) Rust sucks. It's not insurmountable, but it takes time and money. Lots.

2) Forget the shortbeds. You're paying for less truck. You think longbeds can't look cool? Look around the site... Longbeds look like a mile of sweet-lowrider when you put them down. And if you occasionally need to use your truck as a truck (think helping your grilfriend/wife/hot-neighbor move something), you'll be stoked on the extra room. So will she.

3) See #1. If it's too rusty, keep it, reassemble it, chalk it up to experience, and sell it. Or part it out, dissassemble it, chalk it up to experience, and sell it.

4) If you sell it, see #2. You'll get so much more longbed than you will shortbed. Look for a base-model with a six-cylinder or a small-block, a manual tranny, and as few miles and as little rust as possible.

Last edited by Oregoon; 01-30-2015 at 12:21 AM.
Old 01-30-2015, 12:02 AM   #17
andrewmp6

Oregoon depends where you live,Where im at i can almost buy two long beds for what a short bed goes for lately.
Old 01-30-2015, 12:18 AM   #18
Oregoon
Roadside Rebuilder

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmp6 View Post
Oregoon depends where you live,Where im at i can almost buy two long beds for what a short bed goes for lately.
Same here--that's my point: A lot of people get hung up on a shortbed, and they're cool trucks for sure. But if you're on a budget, new to wrenching, and looking for a survivor, then the longbeds are a way better choice due to availability.

That's not to say you shouldn't consider everything: LWB, SWB, LNB, SNB, C&C, flatbeds, 'burbs, crews, 2WD, 4WD, 1/2, 3/4, 1-ton, duallys, etc.

But due to production numbers, a 2WD LWB is the best chance for a survivor/project. Usually easiest to find parts for, too.
Old 01-30-2015, 12:37 AM   #19
Paul83

A good tip is also take a ton of pics. This helps you keep track of what goes where. I don't know much, but I live close to Conroe and could check it over with you if you would like. I just live in Porter. Craigslist always has truck stuff and makes it easier to get things going. This site definitely has answers to everything you might need. My truck has been worked on with a pretty tight budget.

I like long walks on the beach, dinner by candle light, and poking dead things with a stick.
Paul83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 03:06 AM   #20
andrewmp6

Restoring any car or truck is a love hate relationship,You have to be in it for the long haul and don't give up.Look how many projects you see half way done for sell.Everyone of them someone started and had to give up for a reason.
Old 01-30-2015, 03:19 AM   #21
Gregski
Post Whore

Well first let me tell you are not the first nor the last person / car / truck enthusiast this has happened to, it is perfectly normal, think of it as a sort of right of passage.

Let me start with the most drastic option, one that I can speak from experience, and I say use it as your last option, but keep it as an option.

About 4 or 5 years ago I bought a '68 Mustang took it all apart worked on it for about 2 years, got overwhelmed, got depressed, had no time to work on it, wife, kids, job, mortgage, so I sold it. At the time it felt good, I learned a lot on the car. Fast forward to about 6 months ago when I bought my beloved truck, one rule was it MUST BE RUNNING / DRIVING vehicle. Trust me there is still a sh!t load of stuff to do even on a running and driving truck, am I right fellas?

Now that I have this truck and absolutely love working on it, I suggest this to you as an option, because you can EXIT / PUNT on what you got, let go of some of that stress / regroup and attack another truck one a bit better off.

I say this is the last resort because there are days when I regret selling that '68

hope this makes some sense to you, hope you see my point, if you are a sports fan you know that no team ___________ fill in the blank ever wins every game or the championship ever year, so you win some you lose some, no big deal
Gregski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 05:19 AM   #22
donut

Lot of good points, yes rust sucks and is a pain to deal with. You can search for a better truck ($$). It will save you time, for that matter a later truck will save you effort, possibly $$, whole lot of frustration.

However, if you want a project that's relatively simple and with a strong aftermarket support... Be realistic in what you want and what you can do. Trucks cost money, some would call them a money pit, but an education will cost also. IMO, you won't get whatever money back if you decide to sell, so it is a labor of love.

Old 01-30-2015, 06:08 AM   #23
donut

Got to thinking a little, If it were me, clean, degrease the engine compartment. A pressure washer (helps but not needed), degreaser of choice, misc scrub brushes (local grocery store or dollar store..) Cleaning will make future work a whole lot easier.

You probably don't want to hear this, put the front sheetmetal back on. Will protect the engine compartment from the weather, far less chance of loosing parts, frees up garage space (if applicable). You can still work on the basic systems, it can be removed fairly easy if needed. Besides, you wake up some morning and decide to throw it on CL you can. Life is too short to deal with someone elses basket case. (besides, in my mind, if it's in pieces, only worth scrap.

Old 01-30-2015, 10:32 AM   #24
Bigstevex4

Back when i got on fittnes kick walking alot i was amazed how many garages had some old car/truck half tore apart with chrismas decorations piled on it. Part problem if watch like Overhaulen they make it seem easy. But there pros with lots new parts and any tool they need. plus 20 of them. Total ground up restorations are for people with alot of patience. Not me .I was never any good at building models as a kid would have it done in 3 hrs with clue all over finger prints wet paint.I pick my battles OK this weekend ime going to put on new brake hoses. Got parts soaked bleeder wd 40 all week.Allways got some elec stuff can upgrade or repair if got time. Good luck!
Bigstevex4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 11:38 AM   #25
MikeB

If you tear the entire truck apart, you'll be lucky to get it back on the road in 2-3 years, unless you are retired and/or have a big budget. For example, removing the entire front clip may have put you on a path to $500 in parts and a 6 month project.

I suggest you focus on one problem area at a time, so as not to get overwhelmed. Fix something, drive it. Fix the next thing, drive it.

To me, the most important things initially are brakes, tires, headlights, stop lights, windshield wipers, front end alignment, & fluid leaks. Once those things are working fairly well, tackle the poorly running engine. Then after the "must fix" things are done, start on the projects that make the truck run, drive, and look better, but do them one at a time.

Use RockAuto.com and the on-line LMC Truck catalog for help with parts identification and learning what goes where on which models. Hard parts are easy to find at your local parts store, and are very inexpensive. And RockAuto sometimes has insane "supplier closeout" deals.

I was very fortunate to find some nice parts for my 82 in a local junkyard for ridiculously low prices. For example, inner fender for $25, entire vent window assembly with perfect rubber for $50, "Custom Deluxe 10" fender trim $10.

Ever wonder why there are so many unfinished "project" cars and trucks for sale with new and used parts in boxes? Well, it's because people try to take on too much at one time, and get totally overwhelmed.

Well, enough rambling by me. Now go work on one thing.
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 24 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote