The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-10-2012, 10:53 PM   #1
MOTOIMPAIRED

Question about power steering pump mount????

Im trying to mount the power steering pump on the front of my motor and not having the best of luck. I have it mounted the way it shows in my pictures but not sure how good it is going to work. I am coming here for some answers so please give me some advice....

Just took these, tell me what you think? I want to get this thing done and on the road sometime this summer!!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
MOTOIMPAIRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:59 AM   #2
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Re: Question about power steering pump mount????

That looks about right, except you are missing the outer adjustment bracket that comes off of the front header bolt. You will need a tube spacer and a longer bolt to replace that forward bolt. I don't have a pic handy ATM.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:04 AM   #3
MOTOIMPAIRED

Ah, finally a response.... I have that bolt, just not sure what the bracket looks like. I'm out in the garage now trying to figure out if I can make something work..

Always set backs!!!!!!
Old 04-11-2012, 02:27 AM   #4
losthope

here my mock up photo of awhile back you can see the bracket and where a tube spacer needs to bolt in between the header and bracket(or alot of washers):

Mine is a little different bracket i think but same idea but my brackets has the adjusting slot on the water pump and yours is the opposite as mine and would need the adjusting slot on the bracket your missing !

"What that grinding noise?Don't worry about that it will eventually clearance itself!"

1966 chevy c10 Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=485977

1954 ford customline
H.A.M.B 54 Build Thread:http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=622142

Last edited by losthope; 04-11-2012 at 02:57 AM.
losthope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:10 PM   #5
WATERS

When i bought my 66 Burb the power steering pullies were not in line, causing it to squeal like a pig. the front bolts were in but the rear part of the brack was just pushed against the block and not bolted to anything. with some cutting/welding and bending this is what we came up with

Old 04-11-2012, 04:46 PM   #6
padresag

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTOIMPAIRED View Post
Im trying to mount the power steering pump on the front of my motor and not having the best of luck. I have it mounted the way it shows in my pictures but not sure how good it is going to work. I am coming here for some answers so please give me some advice....

Just took these, tell me what you think? I want to get this thing done and on the road sometime this summer!!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
i think that it all looks a little out of whack
p/s belt doesn't go around the w/pump- short belt around c/s and p/s pulley
1 belt is all that is required and is that c/s pulley for 3 belts
looks like your alt is sitting too far forward. should not that adj brkt mount to the frt of the alt flange instead of the rear. if the alt was moved back that amount then you would be able to run both belts(dual pulley on alt) and c/shaft
perhaps you have a hodge podge of pulleys on there
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:50 PM   #7
padresag

Quote:
Originally Posted by WATERS View Post
When i bought my 66 Burb the power steering pullies were not in line, causing it to squeal like a pig. the front bolts were in but the rear part of the brack was just pushed against the block and not bolted to anything. with some cutting/welding and bending this is what we came up with

there should be a brkt off there(back of the pump ) to the block side of the motor mount.
this way it looks as if your p/s pump is attached solidly to the frame? . something is going to break from the torque of the eng
ron
Old 04-11-2012, 10:26 PM   #8
ConnDemned

You're missing bracket is off a mid 70s truck, I did a quick search and found a couple different ones but I can't seem to post the picture from my phone.

If all your belts line up I don't see any need in replacing them, my 250 runs both belts like yours, to me its a better setup both looks and function. In my opinion two belts on the water pump and crank mean that if one belt is lost/broken you still have another to keep water circulating, also it keeps tension on both sides of the water pump snout (not a ton but still this is my over thinking of why some came with belts on both)
Posted via Droid

Last edited by ConnDemned; 04-11-2012 at 10:49 PM.
ConnDemned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:20 PM   #9
padresag

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnDemned View Post
You're missing bracket is off a mid 70s truck, I did a quick search and found a couple different ones but I can't seem to post the picture from my phone.

If all your belts line up I don't see any need in replacing them, my 250 runs both belts like yours, to me its a better setup both looks and function. In my opinion two belts on the water pump and crank mean that if one belt is lost/broken you still have another to keep water circulating, also it keeps tension on both sides of the water pump snout (not a ton but still this is my over thinking of why some came with belts on both)
Posted via Droid
well if you find an original , it will have been running that way for 50 years. I guess that it cannot be that bad of a setuo.
if he is running the dual belt as per the alt pulley setup shows . I doubt that he will have any belt problem and that is without any thinking.
ron
Old 04-12-2012, 12:34 AM   #10
MOTOIMPAIRED

Yes, it is pretty much a hodge podge of stuff but for now it is what I have. ConnDemned I have to agree with you as that was my exact same thinking about having two belts. This is still in mock up and I'm trying to figure out the power steering pump brackets. I guess this weekend I'm going to walk the You Pull It yard and see whats out there. I also have a classic car junk yard not to far away I can try too..

When I get it figured out I will post some pictures, untill then thnks for the replies and keep them coming.......
Old 04-12-2012, 01:01 AM   #11
losthope

you have a long water pump correct?? I have two belts also because of the long water pump, my center crank pulley also has three grooves,do you not see the part your missing in my photo I posted?? the only thing i see wrong with your setup is you only need a short belt around the crank pulley and power steering pulley..not around the water pump also..

"What that grinding noise?Don't worry about that it will eventually clearance itself!"

1966 chevy c10 Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=485977

1954 ford customline
Old 04-12-2012, 01:11 AM   #12
losthope

heres a picture of the type of bracket your missing ,yours is a little different and has the adjusting slot on it( look at the first photo i posted and you can see it better when it wasnt painted black) compare my photo to your photo and im sure youll see what your missing:

heres the same setup as you!! you only need a short belt to the powersteering and the crank:

your only missing the bracket that can be found at a junkyard and need a shortrt belt, so close dont ditch this setup now your almost done!

1954 ford customline
Old 04-12-2012, 01:23 AM   #13
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

What you have is a mismatch of parts. You have a power steering pump and brackets for a short water pump, on an engine with a long water pump and long water pump pulleys. The rear adjusting bracket is supposed to bolt to the upper forward motor mount bolt, but with that style of motor mounts you have that is not possible.. I agree with Ron, that brace to the frame will eventually break somewhere. Just a FYI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WATERS View Post

Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:18 AM   #14
rbar

$65 will get you a nice mount setup from allen groves components. I also think it's a cleaner setup to not run the ps belt around the water pump pulley and only run a single pulley on the water pump.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

2009 Pontiac G8 GXP 415hp/415tq 6speed
rbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:20 AM   #15
duallyjams

I like the mid mount set up, it gives the engine bay a clean look.
http://www.alangrovecomponents.com/

63 GMC V6 4speed carryall
65 chevy swb bbw V8 auto
68 K20 327/4 speed, buddy buckets
2002 GMC CC Dually Duramax

64 GMC lwb 3/4 V6 4speed SOLD
66 GMC swb bbw buddy buckets SOLD

IG duallyjams

The only thing that stays the same is constant change!
duallyjams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:39 PM   #16
MOTOIMPAIRED

Rbar, I like the way that mounts. If I cant get this figured out over the weekend I think I might go that route...
Old 04-12-2012, 08:53 PM   #17
Greshampiglet

I just had to replace my Pump and brackets do to a hodge podge of brackets I had laying around, bought this on EBay lfo around $40. love it looks good and nice and sturdy
Attached Images

Old 04-14-2012, 12:34 AM   #18
rbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTOIMPAIRED View Post
Rbar, I like the way that mounts. If I cant get this figured out over the weekend I think I might go that route...
I really like it. Check your mounting holes first. I went to bolt it up and one of those holes had been messed up badly. I was able to install a helicoil and fix the problem though. I also miles down all three spacer bushings to get it to line up more perfect than it did with my particular pulley and balancer. I think it only works with long water pumps, but their web site will give you all of that. Good luck.
Posted via Mobile Device
2009 Pontiac G8 GXP 415hp/415tq 6speed
rbar is offline   Reply With Quote