The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-14-2016, 09:56 PM   #1
LongBox

Talk about Retro

Went for a drive in my 69 GMC 910, the one I just bought, that has no power steering, and no power brakes. Driving it is interesting to say the least.

Plan your stops and turns well ahead of time... The engine and trans perform well, and I guess, for what they are, the four-wheel drums do the job. The steering is crazy slow, with probably about 6 turns of the steering wheel lock-to-lock.

Afer maybe 35 years of driving cars and trucks with all the modern conveniences, I must be spoiled. The steering is not all that heavy, just very slow to respond, and a lot of cranking the wheel to do basic cornering and parking.

On the other hand, I haven't seen an engine this easy to work on in a helluva long time. You can literally see all the plugs to do a plug change, and there's lots of room to climb right into the engine compartment to work on the distributor.

I was thinking of converting the truck to power steering and power disk brakes, but now i'm gonna think about it before I jump in.

And, yes, I love this old truck. Just needs a decal on one door of maybe a moose, and maybe a trout decal on the other door.

-69 GMC 910 Long Box, 350
-98 Chev Silverado 1500, 350 Vortec 4L60e
-08 Mustang GT Convertible
LongBox is offline   Reply With Quote