The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-22-2023, 05:03 PM   #1
Ledslinger

Possibly one of the rarer 1960-62 GMC K1000 original parts?

I was prepping for paint the original engine spray pan (know the real name for it?) on my 1962 GMC K1000 Suburban, and was wondering if many original ones still exist. I don't know if Chevrolet K models had the same pan, its held on by four bolts that go into rivnuts in the frame. It goes from just behind the radiator to behind the tubular cross member, and it is bent out of sheet metal, and has two rubber bumpers so it doesn't rattle on the cross member.

I installed two new rivnuts that hold it to the frame yesterday, two were still good. I got it out today to see if it was worth using or to make a new one. It has a crack that I'll braze a plate on, but it cleaned up OK.

Don't know what the rarer 1960-66 rarer original parts are, not talking about rare options, but I suspect few K1000s or K10s have the original one.
Ledslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 06:52 PM   #2
MusicMan70

Re: Possibly one of the rarer 1960-62 GMC K1000 original parts?

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...ight=Belly+pan

Like this?
Old 08-22-2023, 10:58 PM   #3
Ledslinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicMan70 View Post
Similar but not exact. Since mine is on a 4WD and the frame has a tubular cross member under the front of the engine, the pan has rubber bumpers that contact the cross member. No hole in the middle front, maybe that is to assist radiator draining somehow.

The linked thread answers that the belly pan isn't just for K models, but don't know if they are GMC only.
Old 08-22-2023, 11:12 PM   #4
MusicMan70

Would you post a pic of what yours looks like.

Maybe it was an accessory item and not a factory part.
Old 08-25-2023, 09:33 AM   #5
Ledslinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicMan70 View Post
Would you post a pic of what yours looks like.

Maybe it was an accessory item and not a factory part.
My phone is jacked up and I won't be able to post a picture until I transfer all to my new phone. I beleive it is a factory part as my truck was in a university car pool until I bought it and it was unmodified except for a trailer hitch and a spare tire bracket until I bought it. Not much motivation to add aftermarket accessories in that setting.
Old 08-25-2023, 09:34 AM   #6
Ledslinger

Pondering the purpose of the belly pan, I think it is keep debris from coming into the engine bay mainly when off road. The path it is protecting is between the frame rails and mostly in front of the front tires, so it isn't to deflect debris thrown off the front wheels. I think it is mainly protecting from tall grass, brush, small trees or sticks or possibly if driving over crops.

If you drove over plants taller than the bumper, the bumper would knock them down but they would stand back up behind the radiator. This would put them in the area of the crank pulley and possibly the fan. It make also give some protection to the brake line crossing over on top of the tubular cross member on the K1000. The pan also protects the radiator from plants when in reverse.