The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-24-2002, 11:58 PM   #1
chevy55

Connecting Rod Side Clearance

What Kind of damage could be done if there is too much side clearance and the vehicle is run anyway?
Old 07-25-2002, 12:21 AM   #2
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

Stock runs about .0025 per side,or .010 per pair. you could open them up to about .018-.020, & they will pass a little more oil through the bearings, but other than possibly a little drop in oil pressure, i dont think it would cause a problem. How much clearance do you have?
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2002, 12:37 AM   #3
chevy55

It varies between the journals, the largest one that I measured was somewhere between .021 and .023, the crank has been machined before I had bought the engine so I don't know who machined it. It is .010 under. The reason I am checking is because I here a tap or a knock while the engine is running and I think that is where it is coming from. If it will damage it I don't want to run it anymore.
Old 07-25-2002, 10:05 AM   #4
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

I dont think the extra side clearance will hurt you, but you may run that by a couple old racers. It was common practice to open up the side clearance on a high rpm engine......street or strip /strip apps due fine with stock type clearance. I tore down an old sb, that had .060 side clearance on 1 pair of rods(that was a "holy sh$t"). somebody had spun a bearing,then had the crank sub arced & reground,& the cleanup grind left the journal too wide. I have no idea how long it ran this way, as i had just purchased the truck(my old longhorn). Judging by the wear on the rest of the engine........it had been running for a while tho! good luck......AL
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote