The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-26-2003, 02:01 PM   #1
HotRod929

Squeeky colum/steering wheel???

Hey,
Whenever I turn my steering wheel the column squeeks like heck. I was wondering how to get rid of this squeel. I tride spraying the steering shaft in the engine with WD40 and that hellped a bit but it just came back. Any Ideas? Also how can I fix the slop in my coulum shifter? It takes almost no effort to move it between the gears. Thanks for the help.

HotRod
Dana 60 w/ 4.10 gears AND Powr-Loc POSI
New Additions:
Summit Headers
135amp alternator
Proform HEI
Edelbrock 1406 600cfm carb
Sunpro Tach
Powr-Loc POSI
Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake
MSD 6A Ignition Box

AIM: HotRod929

Visit My Site: http://1970chevy.netfirms.com/
HotRod929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 08:26 PM   #2
Stroker

I had a simular problem with my 72. Eventually the noise changed to more of a grinding sound. I quit driving the truck when the wheel started to feel like it was binding a little. When I disassembled the cab for the resto and removed the steering column the lower bearings started falling out. It's hard to say if you have the same problem but you definately need to find out the source of the problem. Don't push your luck as far as I did. Good luck...Stroker
Old 03-26-2003, 09:52 PM   #3
krue
Designated A-hole!

I'm no expert, but I remember with my first truck (a '69 back in 86)
I had to take the column apart and weld another metal block at the bottom of the shift lever to take slop out of shifter. I know that doesn't make sense but if you look at it you might be able to figure out what I'm talking about....Then again I may just be wastin your time.
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 10:05 PM   #4
lngbed71
Nothing fits but the oil

The previous two replies are right on. Behind the wheel you will find a small bearing assembly inside the column shaft, when it gets tired (and they do) it squeaks and sounds like a nest of birds, a very easy fix and parts are out there. The slop in your gear shifting may be on the firewall side of the colum, you may be able to un-slop that by gently squeezing the ears together with channel locks. You may want to check the end of your shift lever as well, that wears out as well.

Because of the brave
lngbed71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 10:17 PM   #5
Gordo

Smile

Another possiblity, if the cab is settled due to rusting/rotting cab mounts, it puts pressure on the column to hold the cab up and puts a hurtin' on the bearings.
1942 Oldsmobile
1958 Massey Harris Pony
1951 Wife
Killingworth, Connecticut

May those who love us, love us, any of those who do not love us, may God turn their hearts.
And if God is unable to turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so we may know them by their limping.

A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; but a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist.
Gordo is offline   Reply With Quote