The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-07-2013, 09:43 PM   #1
Chrome8

Highlander Production Numbers

Hi Guys, I need to find out how many 1972 Highlanders were produced. I'm assuming that package is pretty rare just curious if anyone might have the actual numbers compared with the production for the year.
Chrome8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:16 PM   #2
JCD

Re: Highlander Production Numbers

Curious myself.. I have a YG8 optioned C.

J.
1969 SS El Camino
1968 SS RS 396 Camaro
1967 Barracuda Formula S
1965 140/4sp Corvair Monza Convertible

Sorry, but I don't do Fords.
JCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:39 AM   #3
SS Tim

The Highlander Plaid trim option and the Highlander package trucks are not uncommon. It was offered on Fleetside pickups, Blazers and Suburbans. In fact I've seen many that have been modified and the SPID is really the only tie to originality left.
It was however a one year only optional upgrade of the Custom Deluxe trim. GM has no known breakouts of unit production by trim level for the trucks at that time. So it is impossible to say a truck is x of xxx built.

Probably the easiset thing to do is read through my blurb that I have generated and refined. If you still have questions fire away.

Highlander Plaid trim was a trim only option based on Z62 Custom Deluxe or Z84 CST (Blazer only) optioned vehicles.

Highlander Promo Package trucks were also offered that bundled options with the Higlander Plaid trim. These were sales packages A,B and C with increasing levels of content.

Thus a promo package truck was a Highlander but a Highlander was NOT ALWAYS a promo package equipped truck.

Highlander Plaid trim codes
All include black dash pad, steering column (with or without tilt) and carpet. In addition the door panels, visors, console (Blazer only) and seat belts were always parchment (white). Seat vinyl was also parchment and the insert color is determined by the specific code. So the only variable color keyed component was the insert color of the seatcovers.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Pickups Custom Deluxe Z62 mandatory option
Green 613
Blue 611
Gray 604
Orange 618
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Suburbans Custom Deluxe Z62 mandatory option
Green 647
Blue 642
Gray 639
Orange 651
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.
Blazer CST Z84 mandatory option
Green 680
Blue 677
Gray 671
Orange 686
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Promo package codes

A= YG6 Plaid Trim, Special Wheelcovers C10 (PA1) or Chrome Hubcaps C20-30 (PO3), Chrome Front Bumper, Upper (Belt) Molding, Door Edge Guards and Below Eye-Line Mirrors. A $94.50 savings.

B= YG7 (includes A) Adds Turbo-Hydramatic Trans., Power Steering and Tilt. A $178.50 savings.

C= YG8 (includes A and B) Adds A/C and Tint. A $260.50 savings.
Attached Images

Last edited by SS Tim; 07-08-2013 at 01:24 PM. Reason: clarify package vs trim
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 01:02 AM   #4
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Tim View Post
It was however a one year only optional upgrade of the Custom Deluxe trim.
If I'm not mistaken (and it's highly likely that I am...), it was a mid-production year add-on option in an effort to clear out inventory and usher in the new design 73 trucks. I don't believe you could walk in to the dealer as soon as the 72 models became available in Fall of 71 and ask for the Highlander trim option or a Highlander option package truck. But if that's not the case, I'd love to know. If it is the case, does anyone know when it DID become available during the MY?

Mine was a May 72 built (or ordered, can't tell, build sheet is ripped...) truck. And I'm guessing that was probably fairly "early" in the Highlander availability window.

In my mind, it's not unlike the 71 Cheyenne Super - another mid-year available trim combo (available all year in 72).

Naturally, I'm biased on both examples. I'd like to believe they are fairly rare. Ok, at least I get excited when I see one!! Doesn't that count?
jocko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 01:42 AM   #5
SS Tim

Still working on that. Hope to eventually dig up my 72 service and sales news letters that should announce it.

But until then here are a couple of facts. The data book clip is from the January 28,1972 revision (as my 72 Suburban and Blazer data are). But since the option is not notated as new or a change it was available at least one revision before. Additionally I have a build sheet with a scheduled build date of 12-13-71. So that would mean probably early November at the latest is a good bet. Like I said I am still looking. Hope to pin down a date/range soon on my GMC Highlander SPID (no blue sticker). :-)
Old 07-08-2013, 02:17 AM   #6
Chrome8

I read elsewhere that Highlander trucks all came with Black lower moldings not the woodgrain. And according to the pic that you posted of the brochure or order guide they should all have carpet right? Thing is I found one being represented as original but it has woodgrain and a rubber floor mat instead of carpet. The spid just states body side moulding.
Chrome8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 04:05 AM   #7
SS Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome8 View Post
I read elsewhere that Highlander trucks all came with Black lower moldings not the woodgrain. And according to the pic that you posted of the brochure or order guide they should all have carpet right? Thing is I found one being represented as original but it has woodgrain and a rubber floor mat instead of carpet. The spid just states body side moulding.
Most of the Highlanders seen have the woodgrain trim and it is believed to be original. The Custom Deluxe (if ordered with BX2 lower bodyside molding) used the black trim and more likely is a carryover assumption. The correct floor cover is a black carpet. The Custom Deluxe was a color keyed vinyl mat and carpet was not an available option with the Custom Deluxe trim like it had been on earlier trucks. If you noted on my blurb there was very little variation on the interiors, just seat cover inserts. Black and white and plaid all over. Need to look carefully at that mat it is probably just an overlay mat on top of the carpet, we used to sell them all time.

BTW: Went and dug out my two tri-fold Highlander Promo Package flyers and both are undated (of course!)

Last edited by SS Tim; 07-08-2013 at 04:39 PM. Reason: molding addition
Old 07-08-2013, 12:00 PM   #8
butler57

To further confuse matters (or at least confuse me) my truck is a custom deluxe without the YE6 designation on the spid. The plaid seats, chrome bumpers, chrome hubcaps etc were ordered but not door edge guards. At first glance it looks like a Highlander with parchment interior, black steering column etc but it's not really.
butler57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 01:08 PM   #9
SS Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by butler57 View Post
To further confuse matters (or at least confuse me) my truck is a custom deluxe without the YE6 designation on the spid. The plaid seats, chrome bumpers, chrome hubcaps etc were ordered but not door edge guards. At first glance it looks like a Highlander with parchment interior, black steering column etc but it's not really.
Clearly sounds like it is a Highlander trim but not a package truck. Again the Highlander trim trucks had the plaid trim while the package trucks combined the Highlander trim with three option groups at a cost savings. Post up a SPID if you want
Old 07-08-2013, 02:37 PM   #10
butler57

Thanks Tim. There is a mark on the spid where it has been scratched off. It's the 604 grey/black colour.
Attached Images

butler57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 04:27 PM   #11
BB72CHEVKT

I have one SWB Highlander with woodgrain lower trim and another (the top pic with the green interior was my truck) which had no lower trim just upper trim.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:02 PM   #12
SS Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB72CHEVKT View Post
I have one SWB Highlander with woodgrain lower trim and another (the top pic with the green interior was my truck) which had no lower trim just upper trim.
A Highlander trim truck could be ordered with lower and or upper body side moldings or none at all. Package trucks included the upper (belt) molding as part of the A package. In fact if you see a 72 Custom Deluxe with only the belt molding it is very likely a Highlander.
Below is an example of a YG6 "A" promo package Highlander ochre/gray plaid.
Attached Images

Old 01-28-2014, 08:20 AM   #13
Chulisohombre

Good info on the highlander. Glad mine wasn't one because when I got it it was pretty much gutted. Would have taken a while To Find all the original Stuff that went to It. Would be nice to have a all original one in good shape.
72 3/4 ton blazer. 5 inch lift on 35 inch tires. 355 corvette engine with crane roller rockers, rv cam, edelbrock carb and intake with one inch spacer. Thrush Headers with flowmaster 40 duels. 4speed sm465 manual. 4 wheel disk brakes with Inboarded rear shock prerunner style mounts and shocks.
Chulisohombre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:48 AM   #14
Stickman

Good info on the Highlander. I have one that has the black dash pad but has back arm rests with white door panels. Are the black armrests probably the incorrect color that were replaced at some time ? Did the white panels come with white armrest ?
Stickman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 11:05 AM   #15
70cst

Great thread

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 12:37 PM   #16
SS Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
Good info on the Highlander. I have one that has the black dash pad but has back arm rests with white door panels. Are the black armrests probably the incorrect color that were replaced at some time ? Did the white panels come with white armrest ?
Yes the armrest is always the color of the door panel but often not the same shade. The highlanders had white armrests though many faded/deteriorated to a tanish color. While I could see someone installing black armrests as replacements they are not correct.
Old 07-08-2013, 04:32 PM   #17
SS Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by butler57 View Post
Thanks Tim. There is a mark on the spid where it has been scratched off. It's the 604 grey/black colour.
Thanks, That is the first "real" Highlander truck SPID I have seen out of Oshawa.

Last edited by SS Tim; 07-08-2013 at 06:05 PM. Reason: not enough sleep this last week
Old 01-28-2014, 01:16 PM   #18
tommys72

I like those trucks! I think its the seats that make me like them

tommys72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 01:55 PM   #19
SS Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommys72 View Post
I like those trucks! I think its the seats that make me like them
That was the whole idea! :-)
After all it cost $68.00 for the Highlander trim.
All it really did was exchange the type of cloth in the seat covers and add black carpet.

That was about the same price as an AM radio!
Attached Images

Old 01-28-2014, 08:03 PM   #20
Cali72K20

http://www.oldchevytrucks.com/blog/i...72-highlander/

Did the Highlander have the optional wood grain trim? or was it in black only?
Not to highjack your thread, but I'm turning mine into a knock-off HL because mine did not come with a SPID. Mine has all the options mentioned in the ads except for the seat cover. I'm working on that now, trying to get the correct seat coverings from one of the vendors here.
Cali72K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:33 PM   #21
Cali72K20

And to taker her for a ride when I finish the truck!
Attached Images

Old 01-28-2014, 08:39 PM   #22
Chulisohombre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali72K20 View Post
Pretty girl. She'd fit right in on the back seat. Lol. From what I read the hl did not have any wood grain trim. Only black inserts.
72 3/4 ton blazer. 5 inch lift on 35 inch tires. 355 corvette engine with crane roller rockers, rv cam, edelbrock carb and intake with one inch spacer. Thrush Headers with flowmaster 40 duels. 4speed sm465 manual. 4 wheel disk brakes with Inboarded rear shock prerunner style mounts and shocks.
Chulisohombre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 03:17 PM   #23
Highlander_72

Quote:

She can sit on this one!
Attached Images

Highlander_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:54 PM   #24
SS Tim

Quote:

Did the Highlander have the optional wood grain trim? or was it in black only?
Not to highjack your thread, but I'm turning mine into a knock-off HL because mine did not come with a SPID. Mine has all the options mentioned in the ads except for the seat cover. I'm working on that now, trying to get the correct seat coverings from one of the vendors here.
First off if you can just edit that link out I would be really happy. There is a lot of incorrect information there. Like I said up in post #43 I spent a good two hours writing up a correction for that because someone just cut and paste it into a post.

Altogether I have a lot of time researching and getting answers together about Highlander Plaid trim and Highlander Promo Package trucks. Again today I was reminded how deeply the two are blended and perceived as one.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...74#post6495374

Most of the trucks "seem" to have wodgrain trim if they have the Highlander trim and lower bodyside moldings. However it may be an early and late year sort of thing and by plant variable. But it is known that a one-owner, Fremont assembled, May 72, White Highlander (Blue Plaid), Promo Package "C" truck with lower moldings had black inserts.

As Custom Deluxe nor any of the Highlander Promo Packages included lower trim it is interesting to see the variation.
The factory normative practice was to use black insert lower moldings on Custom Deluxe and Custom trucks when so ordered. Of course the Cheyennes and Supers used the woodgrained molding inserts. Considering that the Highlander trim is an upgrade over Custom Deluxe it is easy to say they also upgraded the exterior and in practice seem to have. That is still one of the many details I am trying to run to ground.

So as to which to use on your truck, its your choice. The woodgrained is more likely but a case can be made for the black inserts as well. On a dark green truck I would have to go with the woodgrained unless it (that individual truck) was known to have had black as a Highlander. However on a lighter or white truck the black would "show" better. Good luck!
Old 01-28-2014, 08:54 PM   #25
Cali72K20

I have another odd question, has anyone seen or heard of getting a vinyl overlay for where the wood grain goes on the lower outter trim of the truck? I would like to get a subtle copy of the scroll inside it maybe semi gloss with flat scroll down the center.