The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-09-2024, 10:13 PM   #1
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Newer Car Repairs

OK, I've been thinking of getting rid of my econobox because it's now 8 years old. I bought the 10 year/100k mile warranty because I know that inside the 10 years something is going to go sideways and that warranty will take care of it.
That warranty doesn't cover having the antenna cover (just the plastic "shark fin" cover, mind you) getting busted off in the car wash. I looked online for the cover, and watched a couple of videos. The guys replacing the cover from the outside just glue them on. I bought the cover for less than $20, but I can easily tell after fiddling with it that there is no way that I can put that on and have it look decent while being watertight. I broke down and went to the dealership and ordered the whole antenna, because that's the only way one can get the cover from them. Parts and labor is almost $600. They have to drop the headliner, because the screws attaching the cover come from inside the roof. I'm expecting that there will be a cascade of repairs from dropping the headliner, downstream in time. Yeah, I'm done with this thing. There isn't anything that costs less to repair, as far as I can tell. I have had good luck with it, and have only had services like oil changes and tire rotation (and a set of aged-out tires) in those 8 years. Then again, all I have ever done to my truck is clean up and paint the roof, and replace the camper shell. Well, a new seat cover and foam, and a new headliner, after 50 years. But I won't be buying them again in my lifetime.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote