The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-10-2013, 11:20 AM   #1
Low87
been here longer than Liz

need advice on engine build

Finally getting close to throwing some more money at the 89 K5. I'll do several things to make it more DD worthy, biggest being a new engine.

I'm going to pick up a 350 short block & add vortec heads & intake. I'll use my existing TBI. Considering roller tip rockers for longevity. No idea on cam.
I'll replace the flywheel while I'm in there. Starting the truck up makes me thing it's missing a few teeth.

I'll beef up the alterator & electrical lines. Possibly a new starter.

I just want to take care of several things at once while I'm in there.

I've done one engine swap before (the 87) but my engine knowledge is pretty limited, especially when getting various components to jive.

Also considering regearing the stock 10-bolts.

Main goal with all this is reliability, power and fuel economy a bonus.

Any tips or parts choices would be appreciated.

'87 SWB 6/8 drop "Piso"
'08 CCSB Silverado DD
the departed
'89 GMC K5 Jimmy 4x4 "Rusty Nuts"
'77 Chevy K5 Blazer 2wd
'83 Chevy stepside

"You get what you pay for" - Mike 'swervin ervin' Ervin
Low87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:26 AM   #2
Ziegelsteinfaust

Re: need advice on engine build

I'd do the whole Vortec block for the matching cam, and then add full bolt ons for broader power.

Also getting the Vortec computer to jive with the lack of key pass, and a few other things. It will likely be easier then getting the TBI to jive with the Vortec. Then if you add the 411 pcm which I am starting to see in my local pick a parts you have the best pcm available to the sbc.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:20 PM   #3
Low87

I've been looking up Vortec swaps all day. Seems like a few known swap issues, and then some open for debate. Biggest I can't find a definite answer on is the fuel pump and regulator. Some people get by without a new chip, others say no way. Some people swear by Vortec, others say it's a waste of time.
I'll keep reading and do some math.

'87 SWB 6/8 drop "Piso"
'08 CCSB Silverado DD
the departed
'77 Chevy K5 Blazer 2wd
'83 Chevy stepside

Old 04-10-2013, 08:45 PM   #4
bloodybronco

I did a vortec swap in my 73. I'm not finished yet still have to finish the exhaust (have a temporary home made setup currently) I used a 97 Yukon as a parts truck. The swap was not to bad because the computer is in the engine bay so the wiring isn't to difficult to swap. Issues I dealt with: I have a sm465 so I had to buy a flywheel and clutch. For my fuel pump I am currently using a 65+ psi inline fuel pump with my stock regulator, but I am using my stock tanks so i do not have a sump so i have to make sure i stay above 1/4 tank. I am working out a system for a low pressure fuel pump to pump to a reservoir and then have a high pressure pump after the reservoir to feed the engine. (which I used all the stock wiring to control) the power steering pump I used the yukons hoses on the 73's steering box and just used a few hydraulic fittings to match up the threads. I used my 73 radiator with the yukons shroud trimmed slightly to avoid rubbing. I didn't hook up the vehicle speed sensor at the back of the transmission and when I first started driving it would stall if I made a hard stop, but as long as I slowly decelerated I didn't have an issue and it was getting better with time so I am not sure if the computer is doing a relearn (because the Yukon was also an automatic.) my next issue is just the exhaust. the vortec uses 4 o2 sensors with 2 cats.
bloodybronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:37 AM   #5
Low87

Thanks man.
If I go Vortec, I'll just use the long block, get the GMPP Vortec TBI intake, and use my TBI and computer. Not a complete swap like yours.
I'll have to get Vortec headers or exhaust manifolds to hook up the TBI EGR.
The details that I'm trying to iron out;
1 - Program a new chip? Some say necessary, some say theirs works fine with the stock chip.
2 - Fuel pump. I'm reading both that you have to get a higher PSI pump with an adjustable regulator, or the stock TBI will starve the Vortec heads, and that you don't have to do this.

'87 SWB 6/8 drop "Piso"
'08 CCSB Silverado DD
the departed
'77 Chevy K5 Blazer 2wd
'83 Chevy stepside

Old 04-12-2013, 04:51 PM   #6
bloodybronco

My advice for your swap is just go for it. with out a reprogram, and your stock fuel pump and see what happens. Those things should be easy to change later if need be. When I was getting ready to do my swap I wasted months trying to prepare for the worst and research everything I might need and I found many "possibilities".
I am sorry I don't have any technical advice, I hope you can find what you are looking for
bloodybronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:40 PM   #7
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

Randy P had a heck of a time getting his GM 290 HP crate engine and TBI to play nice. I know the cam was giving them most of the trouble; be careful what you pick there. If it was me, I would identify what you want to do with the truck, and how long you can have it down.

1. Stock reman engine- shoul dbe able to clean everythign up and swap it out in a weekend and not break a sweat.

2. Modify a small block with Vortec heads and science the whole thing out- this may take a while and end up being costly.

3. LS swap. Do your homework, and you could probably do an LS swap or about the same $$$ as a modified TBI swap. The truck already has the FI fuel system, just swap out the in tank pump, plumb into the existing lines, run an aftermarket harness, and go.

If it was me, I would research #3. I think the grins per $ would be the highest that way.
Jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote