The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-05-2013, 07:12 PM   #1
school boy

Arrow Roller block question

I have a 86 c10 with a tbi 305 with the center bolt valve covers. I know 87 up tbi's had the center bolt heads and roller block. My question is since I have a late 86 with the center bolt heads, would the block be a roller block or did gm mix those heads with the non roller blocks?
school boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:16 AM   #2
mrhino
Account Suspended

Re: Roller block question

Im surprised no one has answered your question yet. I personal have seen it both ways. Just because you have center bolt cover doesnt mean you have a roller block, Im sure someone will correct me if Im wrong but I think early center bolt head engines like in trucks may have not all been roller blocks and some were roller blocks without the spider hold down drilled and tapped. Most all later model sbc were made for roller cams. I think in those early years GM was trying to use up all the non roller blocks they had left. Since its rare that you have a 86 with center bolt heads, my question to you would be Do you have one piece main? if yes then it is a posiablity. if not I would say no. only thing you can do is look.
mrhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:16 AM   #3
donut

I'm not 100% certain, but I seem to remember that trucks didn't go roller cam until later. GM did mix and match, (so did PO's)
Don't assume with the center bolt heads that it's a roller cam. Block may be prepped to accept all the parts for a roller setup, but very well may be a flat tappet.

Guess I type to slow, lol

I'm kinda like duct tape- no real purpose, but handy to have around.
donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:31 AM   #4
school boy

Not too concerned on cam type, im assuming its a flat tappet since they were more common in trucks.im trying to install a lt1 roller cam and a tpi intake in the feature and kinda getting info weather or not i need the retro fit lifters or not. If i didnt sit so low in my wheelchair i would read the block casting numbers.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-06-2013, 10:56 AM   #5
MalibuSSwagon

Are you sure this engine hasn't been swapped in? Because TBI wasn't put onto trucks until 87 model year.

In any case, you may just have to pull the intake to see what you're working with. Then order the right parts and do the swap.

PS you'll enjoy TPI, I really like mine but then again I did swap from a carb.
MalibuSSwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:50 AM   #6
mrhino
Account Suspended

funny, Im currently doing a TPI build for my project too. Im just gathering all the parts and will be ready for assembly in the next few days.
mrhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:43 PM   #7
INSIDIOUS '86

Quote:
Originally Posted by school boy View Post
Not too concerned on cam type, im assuming its a flat tappet since they were more common in trucks.im trying to install a lt1 roller cam and a tpi intake in the feature and kinda getting info weather or not i need the retro fit lifters or not. If i didnt sit so low in my wheelchair i would read the block casting numbers.
Posted via Mobile Device
Retro fit rollers are for non roller engines so if it is a roller engine just use regular ones.

Being able to tell well the only sure way is to peak inside the cam valley. They also had retro fitted flat lifters in these blocks too
Posted via Mobile Device
377 sbc thumpr cam autogear m23 muncie 3:73 Detroit trutrac
3''spintech prostreet mufflers xpipe 1 3/4 headers
build thread !http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=577217
Iroc gauge threadhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=554511
INSIDIOUS '86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:07 PM   #8
school boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuSSwagon View Post
Are you sure this engine hasn't been swapped in? Because TBI wasn't put onto trucks until 87 model year.

In any case, you may just have to pull the intake to see what you're working with. Then order the right parts and do the swap.

PS you'll enjoy TPI, I really like mine but then again I did swap from a carb.
I sure. we had the dash took apart fixing a few bad wires, ie. heater fan and fuel gauge, and everything was factory. I think whn I decoded the vin, it said it was a tbi truck but cant remember.
yea, the tpi will be a step up with adding the lt1 fbody cam. the intake is apart right now and im getting ready to start porting. I did decide to use a stand alone efi system from fast so tuning wont be required