The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-12-2004, 04:05 PM   #1
guyryan100

found possible donor truck - advice?

Ok,
I'm working on my '67 stepside (Chevy) and was about to go buy a load of parts but I ran across a possible donor today.

I would use from it:
chrome bumpers
2 front fenders
2 inner fenders
engine (350)
trany (350)
power steering components
wheels
tires
radiator support

It has been partially painted but is presently 3 colors. This is ok because I'm about to head to the painter anyway. Without this donor truck I would have to buy all of the above (and supporting parts such as the steering column and linkages) seperately. Based on my current inventory (i have my old motor, painted bumpers, etc) I would only be 1 fender short of having two complete trucks out of the deal. Therefore I could take from the donor what I wanted to finish the '67 and still have nearly 2 complete trucks - thus selling the second in a drivable state. In the process I'd get to build TWO trucks and learn a lot.

Now to the donor:
It is a 71 frame, front end, and cab. the bed is a '69 fleet. The body has all been painted/patched to a point where I cannot detect rust or bondo from 5-minute curb-side inspection, but I don't know the underlying condition of the body. Even the inner fenders, etc are in painted clean condition. The dash is a bit cut up but not terrible. Cab and front end are day-glow orange. I assume (I know what they say about assumptions) that it's a southern truck since it's now in GA but know that it could have traveled the country for all I know.

The engine was recently rebuilt by the seller and has aprox 300 miles on it since. It has a nice looking carb on it but I don't know any of the specs on the rebuild or anything yet. Based solely on appearances it looks like he was aiming for high horsepower.

I'm going to look at the truck tonight and am interested in your feedback on

1) what to look for
and
2) and rough idea (I know, I know) on value.

Oh, the other factor is that with my present resources I'd have to RENT a truck to run parts to painter, pay for delivery of the engine hoist, etc. which would end up costing me around $100 by the time it's all over. This truck would let me do some hauling right away.

Thanks a lot!

Last edited by guyryan100; 05-12-2004 at 04:09 PM.
guyryan100 is offline   Reply With Quote