The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-28-2003, 10:55 PM   #1
Porkchop

80's front end on a 69?

Would the suspension parts off of an 80's half ton fit on my 69 3/4 ton? What I am looking at doing is putting five lug rims on and lowering the truck a little. So, what do I have to do in order to do this? Do I have to change both the upper and lower control arms and the spindal? (Would I have to make new holes) Or would I be able to put a lowering spindal for five lugs rims right on the 3/4 ton control arms? Would it be better to change the control arms along with the springs anyway so that When I go to lower it I will be have a lower initial height?
Would the rear ends swap easily too? Should I also change the leafs springs to half ton so that the rear end will have a lower initial height before I drop it?
thanks for any information
brad
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 11:17 PM   #2
nightmare

not sure about the back, or even the difference between the 3/4 and 1/2 ton, but on the front, you should be able to just unbolt the crossmember/engine cradle, and bolt it to yours. you might have to elongate or drill only 2 holes, but that is about it. (i think)

2001 Dakota R/T - Silver CC - 1 of 1671 •360 w/46RE •392 limited slip
1972 Chevy Suburban - Turquoise/Black
1969 Chevy C/10 - Blue LWB •350 w/ 700R4 •3.73 posi •PS PB A/C - SOLD

Using your turn signal is not "giving information to the enemy"

67-72 FAQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCMAX View Post
My lugnuts require more torque than your honda makes!
nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2003, 09:36 AM   #3
Locutus

I am not 100% sure on this. but I think the later model rear end is wider and I know the way it bolts up is different. Also there are no perchs for the springs on the later model rear end, you would have to cut them off the old rear end and weld them on the newer one or put leafs on your truck. When I first bought my truck it had 4.11 gears in it. I wanted to tone it down a notch so I could use it as a daily driver with out having to marry a Sheik's daughter. Anyway this one mechanic was trying to tell me it would be easier(and cheaper) to cut the perchs off of my rear end and swap one in from a later model truck. I took it somewhere else and just had the gears swapped. No worries about centerline, alignments, driveshafts any of that. There has to be a easier way. Maybe swap a rear end from a 1/2 69, or replace the axels with 5 lug pattern and put 1/2 springs under there.

Mike
Locutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2003, 01:38 PM   #4
gmtrucksaddict
Account Suspended

no, 70-72 is wider than 73-up, but not wider than 73-up with 2.75" wide brakes

leaf springpad placement is what matters, also shocks were staggeredon 73-up and not in 72older

40"and 42.5" are the springpad centers on GM trucks 1/2 ton through 1 ton
55.5" from plate to plate 63-69
57" 70-72
about 56.5" 73-up nomatter brake size, just the plates were deeper, simpel bolton swap, all axle shafts 70-up are same thing no matter brake size
gmtrucksaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2003, 06:38 PM   #5
Porkchop

Thanks for all the advice guys. I guess I will just try to find a different rearend from a 69. Is it possible to swap the five lug axles in for the eight lugs? Does anyone know the difference between the half ton and 3/4 ton heights in the rear? Is my truck going to look funny with smaller 15"-17" rims on the rear if I don't swap the leafs to a half ton?
On the fron t I will probably just switch the whole cradle like Nightmare said.
Thanks for all hte advice
brad
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote