The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-27-2015, 02:10 PM   #1
BKWDco

TF Headlight options

I am going to be pulling my inner two headlights and installing this Spectre Intake.

Since, I'll be loosing my highbeams, I'm curious if anyone here has a lead on a hi/lo beam headlight that is compatible with my 59?

thanks in advance
BKWDco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 02:26 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: TF Headlight options

The outside headlights should already have both low and high beams. At least every 4 headlight set of round lights I have ever been around work that way.

You might want to go with a higher output headlight though.

I've run this design light in the 7 inch in my 71 GMC before and with the 55/100 white bulbs and a set of relays (because they do draw more power) you would have light you can see by. On my GMC I had to trim the light buckets out for the back of the bulb to fit so that's a rub but you could trim the old high beam buckets if you needed to and save the low beam buckets. Reliable guy to deal with and the lights look great in old trucks. http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-3-4-H5001-...QAAOSwu4BVzSuz

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.

Last edited by mr48chev; 12-27-2015 at 02:51 PM.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 02:31 PM   #3
BKWDco

oh, that is good to know. I just assumed that one was highbeams and one was low. I will check on that this afternoon.
Old 12-27-2015, 02:54 PM   #4
OrrieG

Instead of cutting up the inner fender and headlight housing, you could run in low and pick up air under the radiator like the muscle era Buick GS and Olds W series option. Google Olds W31 cold air intake...
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 03:00 PM   #5
mr48chev

Orrie's suggestion would be a great alternative.

77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
Old 12-27-2015, 03:40 PM   #6
BKWDco

I agree, thats another good option. I have recently seen a 59 fleetside with the inner light set up, and really liked the look of it. I am a little hesitant to cut up the truck, but like I said, I think it looks pretty neat.
Old 12-27-2015, 05:40 PM   #7
PDW HOTRODS

On 4 headlight, 2 are low and 2 are high. When the high is on the low stay on also. Only the high turn off. when you hit the dimmer switch. You can look for newer car headlights that might fit.
PDW HOTRODS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 06:05 PM   #8
Foot Stomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
Instead of cutting up the inner fender and headlight housing, you could run in low and pick up air under the radiator like the muscle era Buick GS and Olds W series option. Google Olds W31 cold air intake...
Too bad I just sold this 1971 Dual Snorkel air cleaner that would have been perfect instead of cutting up a truck for air.
Attached Images

My 1959 GMC build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=686989
Foot Stomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 01:47 AM   #9
mr48chev

That air cleaner probably sold for more than some of us paid for our trucks. I special ordered a 69 Cu21 tlass S in that color when I was in VietNam and picked it up the day after I got home. 310 hp 350R, M21 Muncie, 3.42 Posi and am fm multiplex radio were the only options on the car.

Old 12-28-2015, 10:15 AM   #10
Foot Stomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
That air cleaner probably sold for more than some of us paid for our trucks. I special ordered a 69 Cu21 tlass S in that color when I was in VietNam and picked it up the day after I got home. 310 hp 350R, M21 Muncie, 3.42 Posi and am fm multiplex radio were the only options on the car.
Sorry for hijacking this thread OP!

Mr48chev got my love for Oldsmobiles all riled up!

Here's my 1969 442 that I sold recently to make room in the stable (and bank account) to restore the families 1959 GMC. Sad to see it go but know it went to a damn good home! I'm thinking it's likely pretty close in appearance to what mr48chev ordered brand new back in the day?
Attached Images

My 1959 GMC build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=686989
Foot Stomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 03:07 PM   #11
yossarian19

just FWIW, cold air intakes don't do a thing. They've been dyno tested any number of times and it's just marketing hype. If you were really going to pick up 15 horsepower and a mile per gallon, wouldn't the factory be doing it already?
yossarian19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 10:17 PM   #12
1project2many

Quote:
If you were really going to pick up 15 horsepower and a mile per gallon, wouldn't the factory be doing it already?
Uhhh... there's a lot more to the story here. The primary reason GM intakes are the way they are today is for emissions reasons. GM has used cold air intakes. The Olds pictured in this thread drew air through the hood at WOT. Other A body cars had different versions of the same idea. Trans Am had the Ram Air option through 2000 or so although some were less effective. 83 and 84 Crossfire injection equipped cars also drew air through the hood at WOT. 92-94 Cavalier Z24's drew air through the hood from the cowl area. The Firehawk used functional cold air intakes as part of it's 300+ hp powertrain. Even the old stock single snorkle air breathers with the ThermAC system would switch to drawing air from the engine compartment insted of over the exhaust manifold at WOT. The advantage is denser air (good for power) and cooler temperature (less likely to detonate). The disadvantage is less complete combustion. So an OEM system is engineered to keep emissions in check whil increasing power.

Now if you want to discuss the differences between a well engineered air induction system and a cheap aftermarket kit, I'm all for it. When I worked at the dyno shop I could consistently show a horsepower "gain" on the chassis dyno without any changes being made to the engine. I'd take a reading with the car cool, shut the engine off for 15 minutes or so, then take another reading. If a person changed an intake or an exhaust tip during this time it would appear as a HP "gain." Dyno proven of course.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote