The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-12-2014, 02:52 PM   #1
w00dst0ck

Gold interior paint code

Looking for the original gold dash/door paint code for a 65 c10.

Thanks!
w00dst0ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 02:58 PM   #2
pimpston65

Re: Gold interior paint code

Quote:
Originally Posted by w00dst0ck View Post
Looking for the original gold dash/door paint code for a 65 c10.

Thanks!
"fawn" PPG has it. if you have a painters supply around with the old books they can call PPG then PPG will fax the paint mix and your store will whip it up...
pimpston65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 03:00 PM   #3
w00dst0ck

Awesome, I assumed it was fawn, but wanted to make sure.

Thanks!
Old 12-12-2014, 03:10 PM   #4
pimpston65

Quote:
Originally Posted by w00dst0ck View Post
Awesome, I assumed it was fawn, but wanted to make sure.

Thanks!
now they do have some models that have a darker brown dash, but i think thats if your going uber original...
Old 12-12-2014, 03:14 PM   #5
pimpston65

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpston65 View Post
now they do have some models that have a darker brown dash, but i think thats if your going uber original...
also i wanted base/clear, well it didnt come that way so i was gonna get the mix PPG has, spray a small panel then have the painter supply place mix that color, but with base/clear products. they can put it in a small spray can also for touch up work!!!
Old 12-12-2014, 03:20 PM   #6
w00dst0ck

Not going for uber original, just think that fawn/black will look the best with the patina of the truck.
Old 12-13-2014, 01:35 PM   #7
Metalaroundstone

Quote:
"fawn" PPG has it. if you have a painters supply around with the old books they can call PPG then PPG will fax the paint mix and your store will whip it up...
I have a 66 and want to match my original dash paint and interior color also. I went to PPG and they said they only have the codes for those colors for lacquer, which they don't sell any more. They told me that couldn't match in a single stage or color/clear system. They ended us using there color match system to get as close as possible to the interior fawn color, but it was really not a good match. I am still looking to match the dash color. My dash is a very dark brownish color.
Metalaroundstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 03:06 PM   #8
pimpston65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalaroundstone View Post
I have a 66 and want to match my original dash paint and interior color also. I went to PPG and they said they only have the codes for those colors for lacquer, which they don't sell any more. They told me that couldn't match in a single stage or color/clear system. They ended us using there color match system to get as close as possible to the interior fawn color, but it was really not a good match. I am still looking to match the dash color. My dash is a very dark brownish color.
i went to my local painters supply, they were faxed the mixture in lacquer as well, thats when i could have bought the paint and sprayed the paint on a small panel and have them use the laser eye to match it, but in base/clear its really the only way unless u have a panel with the color on it already or go with lacquer
Old 12-13-2014, 03:09 PM   #9
pimpston65

Quote:
i went to my local painters supply, they were faxed the mixture in lacquer as well, thats when i could have bought the paint and sprayed the paint on a small panel and have them use the laser eye to match it, but in base/clear its really the only way unless u have a panel with the color on it already or go with lacquer
maybe u can take the ash tray or glove box to have them match it, not ppg but a painters supplier will be able to do it.
Old 12-13-2014, 04:29 PM   #10
theastronaut

'03 Nissan "Sunlit Sand" code EVO is a good match for the interior color. I shot this using Spies Hecker basecoat. Mix ratio was 2 parts paint, 1 part reducer, then 15% hardener added to the total amount. The hardener adds some sheen and durability. No clear over it, just the basecoat mix.

I haven't had a chance to have the darker dash color scanned to find a code that matches. I did find a way to replicate the original textured finish. A guy on another forum was doing some "frosting" on his parts and the finish looked the same as '66 dark fawn dashes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyertim
i'll try to describe what i did.

the first 2-3 coats are shot as usual. what i want to do is cover the surface/primer with a solid base of color. depending on your paint, i waited 5-10 minutes of flash time as usual. the distance from the surface is about 8-12 inches as usual.

the paint is single stage enamel. basf uno-hd.

i'm using an iwata supernova...not that it matters. but, it's able to spray a finer mist over the devilbiss and the binks bbr that i have. also, i usually shoot high psi with it...even though it's a hvlp gun. my old man was a painter and that's how he taught me...lol.

so...the first few coverage coats were shot at 50-60 psi. the reason i mention this is that after the first few coats, i dropped the air pressure to about 10 psi. also, i adjusted the paint flow to where it just lets a little bit of paint out of it.

understand?

what you are looking for is a fine mist of paint similar to the water mist that is applied to the fresh veggies at the supermarket.

practice a bit...it's not hard.

anywho...after the first few coverage coats, i then hold the gun about 18-24 inches away from the surface. then i mist the paint at the 10 psi and the paint flow adjusted down...just like the water and vegetable example.

don't be tempted to add more paint. you should be able to see the texture after the first mist. let it tack up 5-10 minutes (again, depending on your paint). hit it again with a fine mist. repeat until you are happy with the result.

usually, 2-3 mist coats works for me.

hopefully, you have a lot of light while you're spraying. that should help with seeing your progress.

again, practice on something. play around with different psi settings and paint flow. i find with even lower psi settings, the paint "blobs" are larger.

if you allow too much paint to flow out of the gun, the "blobs" of paint start to settle down and even out. also, if you get too much paint on the surface, the "blobs" will flow into each other and flatten out.

hope this helps!

tim
theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 12:38 PM   #11
yelmer

here are the colors I used the final picture is the finished product the dash is dark from what the picture look like
Attached Images

Last edited by yelmer; 12-14-2014 at 12:45 PM.
yelmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 01:54 PM   #12
oem4me

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelmer View Post
here are the colors I used the final picture is the finished product the dash is dark from what the picture look like
Not sure what the entire paint code means, but the DDL prefix is PPG's code for Acrylic Lacquer. Lacquer is impossible to get here in CA, and probably tough elsewhere.
Seems a paint supplier should be able to translate that color code to another product line, no?
oem4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 02:00 PM   #13
w00dst0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by theastronaut View Post
'03 Nissan "Sunlit Sand" code EVO is a good match for the interior color. I shot this using Spies Hecker basecoat. Mix ratio was 2 parts paint, 1 part reducer, then 15% hardener added to the total amount. The hardener adds some sheen and durability. No clear over it, just the basecoat mix.

I haven't had a chance to have the darker dash color scanned to find a code that matches. I did find a way to replicate the original textured finish. A guy on another forum was doing some "frosting" on his parts and the finish looked the same as '66 dark fawn dashes.
Thank you!
Old 12-15-2014, 11:30 PM   #14
Metalaroundstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by oem4me View Post
Not sure what the entire paint code means, but the DDL prefix is PPG's code for Acrylic Lacquer. Lacquer is impossible to get here in CA, and probably tough elsewhere.
Seems a paint supplier should be able to translate that color code to another product line, no?
Yeah, when I went to the PPG paint store with the lacquer codes, they told me that they could not be translated to a single stage acrylic enamal. They did scan the inside of my glove box, but their scanner only matches the sample to the closest existing paint code, which wasn't close at all.

If you go to a house paint supplier, they can match any sample, as long as it isn't metalic (I think). I recently sprayed a old 1960 powermatic bandsaw with alkyd enamel paint matched this way at Benjamin Moore. I wonder how this paint would hold up on a dash. I don't suppose you could add hardener to it. It take for ever to dry and stink forever.
Metalaroundstone is offline   Reply With Quote