The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-21-2017, 01:10 AM   #1
87Skier

Reflashing ECM and TCM

Does anyone have recommendations for shops that reprogram the ECM and TCM for Gen IV engines and 6 speed automatics?

I've talked to a few shops but their responses to a few simple questions made me rethink sending my stuff to them.

Looking to keep the engine pretty much the way it is. The only modification is that I won't be running catalytic converters since it is emission exempt.

Also want to change a few things about the 6L80/90 transmission.

Thanks
87Skier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 11:15 AM   #2
Hart_Rod

Re: Reflashing ECM and TCM

I would talk to Speartech. But why not just buy HPTuners or similar software and do it yourself?
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 11:31 AM   #3
davepl

I did my own with HPTuners, changed the reluctor count from auto to manual, that sort of thing. If you want a whole VE table tune you'll need a tuner, but I don't know if you need that for removing the CATs (I'd keep the cats personally but that's another story).

If it's just to disable the codes, I'm pretty sure you can do that with HPTuners as well.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 02:19 AM   #4
87Skier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_Rod View Post
I would talk to Speartech. But why not just buy HPTuners or similar software and do it yourself?
I was going to contact them, but Speartech's website didn't mention ecu tuning, only harness related stuff.

I considered doing it myself, but thought it would cost about half as much to have someone else do it. If I were going to do it myself, what would I need? Clearly the software (HPTuners?), a laptop (have one), and something to connect to the computer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepl
I did my own with HPTuners, changed the reluctor count from auto to manual, that sort of thing. If you want a whole VE table tune you'll need a tuner, but I don't know if you need that for removing the CATs (I'd keep the cats personally but that's another story).

If it's just to disable the codes, I'm pretty sure you can do that with HPTuners as well.
I would keep the catalytic converters, but they are massive, and clearances are tight. I have to try to fit everything in the frame, while going from a turbo350 to 6L90 with a front driveshaft, transfer case, and cross members. If this were 2wd, I would probably run them.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:56 AM   #5
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87Skier View Post
I was going to contact them, but Speartech's website didn't mention ecu tuning, only harness related stuff.

I considered doing it myself, but thought it would cost about half as much to have someone else do it. If I were going to do it myself, what would I need? Clearly the software (HPTuners?), a laptop (have one), and something to connect to the computer?
When you buy HPTuners (or EFLIVE for that matter), they come with everything you need, software, connection for the OBDII port as well as 8 credits for tunes. I would recommend getting the Pro-version as it gives you the ability to datalog without your laptop if you so choose.
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 11:53 AM   #6
davepl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87Skier View Post
I would keep the catalytic converters, but they are massive, and clearances are tight. I have to try to fit everything in the frame, while going from a turbo350 to 6L90 with a front driveshaft, transfer case, and cross members. If this were 2wd, I would probably run them.
Ah, I see. I just like the reduced fuel smell, and slightly quieter running. But if you've got physical fitment constraints, I get it!
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 03:31 PM   #7
jweb

If you want something local there's a guy in Keizer I had tune my truck. I think he only does dyno tunes, but really knows what he's doing.

Let me know, I can pm you his info.
jweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 09:37 PM   #8
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_Rod View Post
When you buy HPTuners (or EFLIVE for that matter), they come with everything you need, software, connection for the OBDII port as well as 8 credits for tunes. I would recommend getting the Pro-version as it gives you the ability to datalog without your laptop if you so choose.
You can upgrade to pro by sending the dongle in and paying a service fee. Its actually not crazy expensive, and saves your from having to buy a whole different unit if you realize that you outgrow the base function.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 01:14 AM   #9
87Skier

Quote:
Originally Posted by jweb View Post
If you want something local there's a guy in Keizer I had tune my truck. I think he only does dyno tunes, but really knows what he's doing.

Let me know, I can pm you his info.
Never hurts to have some local people. Please PM his info. Thanks!

I'm still not sold on buying the tuning stuff for myself. I like the idea of owning it, but it seems expensive. I might end up going for it, but would really like to hold the unit for myself.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:11 AM   #10
Trackman101

Purchasing HP Tuners PRO is the way to go. You can have anyone in the country remote tune it if the learning curve is to steep to do it yourself. It is for me.
Trackman101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 11:52 PM   #11
izzy_Britton

not exactly local but there is an outfit in Sparks that does dyno tune and reprogram work from stock to extreme. they are the place i intend to take my truck when it is back together. If your interested i will look up the name of the place when i am at home.

-Izzy
Project Delongdium - Step-Sons Plastic Clad 2003 Avalanche - DONE and Delivered.
izzy_Britton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 11:55 PM   #12
izzy_Britton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackman101 View Post
Purchasing HP Tuners PRO is the way to go. You can have anyone in the country remote tune it if the learning curve is to steep to do it yourself. It is for me.
SAY WHAT? I have never heard of this. I am going to seriously look into and consider doing this.

still taking my 75 C10 to the dyno tune guys over in Sparks. but i do have many irons in the fire..

-Izzy
Project Delongdium - Step-Sons Plastic Clad 2003 Avalanche - DONE and Delivered.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:38 PM   #13
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

? I'm not sure what he means by that. You can't remote dial into ECM's like Haltech can.
You can have someone else write a tune for you based on log results (I do that all the time), but both people would need to have that VIN licensed. You need the license to write TO a Tune, or to flash the tune itself. You DON'T need it licensed just to read.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 11:59 PM   #14
izzy_Britton

supose you COULD do a remote desktop or VNC connection but that seems kinda like a waste of time.