The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-27-2017, 08:27 PM   #1
ontdave

a/c adapters

Started my 5.3 swap over the Christmas holidays. Motor is in just to figure out placement and trying to use stock a/c mount. Came across adapters at AIRPARTS INC that look like they should work. Any thoughts?
Dave
http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Denso-10S17F-...gAAOSwLEtYkLu1
ontdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 05:53 AM   #2
LeesTruk

Re: a/c adapters

I have them on my 5.3L swap. They tuck into the frame nicely, without any cutting. I'm using plates from Tejas Steelworks to mount my engine

The second pic would make you think the fastening screw is against the frame rail, but there is a good 1/4" of clearance. In my case, the tubes were put on the compressor before mounting the compressor onto the engine
LeesTruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 08:29 AM   #3
homemade87

I used these same adapters and have been working great . Glad to see them still available . Its just about the only thing you can do with out cutting the frame which I did not want to do .
homemade87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 11:26 AM   #4
First c10

Now they make them...... I had to make my own and they look real close to these. Glad they are producing these as this was one of the reason swap-ers could not use the lower ac brackets that came with the swap packages.

I was able to change the oil in the Denso compressor to mineral oil and run R12 in the stock system... it works great!!! (as long as you have R12)
1970 C10 Yellow/White Deluxe LWB w/ 5.3L-LC9/6L80E
1968 K10 LWB Dark green my son calls it "THE HULK Jr"HULK JR *SOLD*
GO GO!!!
First c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 08:48 PM   #5
ontdave

Thanks for the input. I am using Metaltek adjustable mounts but I have moved the passenger side stand back on the crossmember 1 1/4 inches to make room for the compressor. I will get the a/c adapters ordered up before our dollar gets any worse.
Dave
Old 03-28-2017, 08:58 PM   #6
Tetanus Express

87 can you post up some pics of yours and anyone else using these with hoses ran to them and hooked up.
Tetanus Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 08:24 AM   #7
homemade87

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontdave View Post
Thanks for the input. I am using Metaltek adjustable mounts but I have moved the passenger side stand back on the crossmember 1 1/4 inches to make room for the compressor. I will get the a/c adapters ordered up before our dollar gets any worse.
Dave
Dave , I too had to modify my mount . What I did was added an extension on the engine stand to move the motor mount back to clear the comp . I used flat plates I made to get it all to fit .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetanus Express View Post
87 can you post up some pics of yours and anyone else using these with hoses ran to them and hooked up.
I will be happy to get some pictures . Also for some reason my 82 has the condenser connections on the drivers side . 83 and up has them on the pass side . Must be a 81 , 82 thing . I tried to find a parallel flow condenser to replace for the r134 . Could not find one . I already had my hoses made so I abandoned the idea . Still cools pretty good with the stock tube type .
Old 03-29-2017, 04:22 PM   #8
homemade87

Here's a couple pictures . It's a little cluttered after you get all the hoses run but I think you will see how they are . As you can see I have a trinary switch on the high pressure line coming out of the compressor to control fans .
Attached Images

Old 03-29-2017, 08:50 PM   #9
ontdave

Quote:
Yes I will as soon as I figure out how to do that. LOL
Old 03-29-2017, 08:56 PM   #10
ontdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by homemade87 View Post
Here's a couple pictures . It's a little cluttered after you get all the hoses run but I think you will see how they are . As you can see I have a trinary switch on the high pressure line coming out of the compressor to control fans .
Thanks for the pictures homemade87. I have a 1986 Silverado so air is on the passenger side. I purchased a complete 2002 Sierra that ran and drove fine but rotten as are a lot of 15 year old vehicles around here. I hope to use the regular fan that is on the 5.3 so I won't need that switch will I? Also do I have to hook up the wires off the back of the compressor as there is not much room left.
Old 03-29-2017, 11:27 PM   #11
Tetanus Express

Thanks for the people can 87 and just for curiosity what headers are you running?
Thanks Dave and i would like to see pics of yours as well. About to start my 5.3 swap and just trying to get some things figured out and what path I want to follow.

Thanks again.
Tetanus Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 07:10 AM   #12
homemade87

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontdave View Post
Thanks for the pictures homemade87. I have a 1986 Silverado so air is on the passenger side. I purchased a complete 2002 Sierra that ran and drove fine but rotten as are a lot of 15 year old vehicles around here. I hope to use the regular fan that is on the 5.3 so I won't need that switch will I? Also do I have to hook up the wires off the back of the compressor as there is not much room left.
No , you will not need that switch if running the mechanical fan . If you ever decide to add electric fans and want the computer to operate them you will have to add the trinary switch or you can just set up your own relay system .

I am not sure which wires are on the back of a 02 comp ( could be the trinary switch ) but the ones at the front is what activates the comp clutch and should be all you need .

Quote:
Thanks for the people can 87 and just for curiosity what headers are you running?
Thanks Dave and i would like to see pics of yours as well. About to start my 5.3 swap and just trying to get some things figured out and what path I want to follow.

Thanks again.

I am running the Dynatech 70-81 camaro coated headers . They fit great with no issues except the pass side pointed straight at the stock trans crossmember . I did not want to jockey around it so I replaced it with a double hump one from summit .