The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-25-2014, 03:33 AM   #1
zippeay

Gmc head light buckets

I bought a gmc grill last year and just found out that the headlight buckets don't interchange from chevy-gmc... Im missing 2 head lights for my grill and I need this part. Does anyone know a company making these? Or maybe if they are used in some other kind of car/truck?
Here's a few pictures, the piece I'm pointing to is what I need.

Here is the dual headlight buckets I just blasted and painted.

Or if anyone has some for sale I need em! Thanks everyone!
Old 01-25-2014, 10:01 AM   #2
murphy98

Re: Gmc head light buckets

Hi Zippeay,
GMC used the same headlamp housings for the 4 lamp system 5 3/4" round headlights from '58-'72. Chevy used the same lamp housing from '58-'61 as well. So you should be able to use the lamp housings from any of these truck years. I know Classic parts sells them but only as a full 8 piece kit ($85) which includes 4 lamp housings & 4 of the chrome trim rings which hold the lamps in place. (See photo below) Just checking LMCs site, they don't have them available. You might try Bills Truck shop in Ontario Canada to see if he has any used ones kicking around. I got a lot of used parts from him for my GMC restoration. If I come across any I will let you know.
Attached Images

murphy98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 10:13 AM   #3
murphy98

Just found some at GMCPauls Truck Parts, part#3039070 $15.95 each.
Photo below. I just sent you a PM with the details.
Attached Images

Last edited by murphy98; 01-25-2014 at 10:19 AM.
murphy98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 11:08 AM   #4
zippeay

Thanks fellas!
Old 01-28-2014, 10:56 AM   #5
jbgroby

Zip,

IF you go with the Halogen light upgrade you will need to further modify the buckets.

When you use a standard sealed bean they are 3 'tabs' that keep the light in position in relation to the bucket. The new halogens have added 2 extra tabs build into the backside of the frame of the globe, you need to use a dremel or otherwise remove them so they sit in the bucket correctly.

You will notice that 2 of the factory cut holes in the buckets are in the correct place BUT are too small to fit the new halogen bulbs.u need to make those holes a touch wider.

Jake
jbgroby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 11:22 AM   #6
64tantruck

They will fit, I found out the hard way that each bucket has a unique spot. the ears are at different locations.

Glenn
61 Apache10 (wife's truck) 327ci powerglide.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=570100
64tantruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 11:36 AM   #7
argonaut

I was looking for the same parts myself last weekend for my 60 grill. Found lots of them at the swap meet. The ones from impalas are the same. However be careful that there are two types and you need two of each for a full set. The inner are clocked differently than the outers, which you will notice if you look at how they mount to the back plate. They are 90 degrees off. So the tab cutouts in the rim have to be clocked also to get the headlights to all sit the same. Hope this makes sense. Anyway I got a pair that I needed with the retainer rings in good condition at the swap meet for $10. Much cheaper than buying repops.

1972 K5 Blazer CST, Turquoise
1966 K20 Short Fleet Pickup, Big Ugly
1964 C10 Short Fleet, Gertrude

2001 Porsche 911 Carrera
1996 Ford Bronco XLT
1980 Jeep Wagoneer

2008 Honda CBR1000RR
2005 Honda RC51
1981 Honda CB750C

No dis-assemble Johnny Five! No dis-assemble!
argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 12:33 PM   #8
zippeay

Thanks guys! I tried to order from GMCpaul but there isn't a phone number and I emailed him last week and still no reply. When I tried to order the buckets his website wouldn't let me add them to my cart???
So I ordered some from classic truck parts. JBgroby where did you get your Halogens from? I haven't looked into it but I think they would look nice. Do you have to modify the wiring at all?
Thanks guys!
Argonaut I wish I could go somewhere around here to look but they only have 2 swap meets a year around here and I can't wait until then. If I still lived in Cali that wouldn't be a problem... Haha!
Old 01-28-2014, 05:54 PM   #9
kieth

I just installed halogens in my 66 gmc, had to do the mods for the clocking, also had problems with those little plastic things that one used to adjust the headlights with. bought new bolts and just used standoffs that were the proper length, one end make threaded to fit in the grille surround, the other a female threaded part. Will hold up better than plastic and did not cost much. Kieth

ps if anyone needs the information I will take pictures and docment the sizes of the stand offs. Kieth

http://media.digikey.com/photos/Keys...hotos/7211.jpg
kieth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 07:22 PM   #10
jbgroby

Zip,

Ok, since I was at the same confused issue with my new halogen wiring relay harness, I decided to do a short tutorial for others like me - lack of experience.

First, buying the harness for $30.00 is cheap compared to the waste of time and cost of material needed. I'm glad for those who can build these assemblies, but for me buying the harness was just easier.

So as not to mislead, I also started with a new E-Z wiring 21 Circuit Harness.
The wires that go through the firewall to the headlight assemble are tan and green and are easily marked.

Each wire is split (left/right low beam and left/right high beam and have NO connectors on them. E-Z wire gives you two of them; you will use one during this assembly.

Picture 1 Turn your headlight assembly over and lay out you NEW Halogen relay wiring harness, you need to remember that the two red wires with BATTERY on them have to mount next to your battery location, so lay it out accordingly (please note in my picture I did it backward at first – THAT’S how I know!). Each side of the new relay harness has a black ground wire for each set of lights, make sure you have a great connection; I used a Dremel Tool sanding drum to remove paint and primer to have a direct metal to metal connection.

Plug the pre-wired harness sockets into the proper bulbs. Route your harness toward the top of your assembly and use plastic wire ties to hold in place. They should have several factory holes along the top of the headlight assembly for this purpose). When you finished getting it in place and wired tied down, you will have 2 relays, 1 male 3 prong connection and 2 red battery wire leads of the harness hanging loose.

Ok with the help of someone, carry the assembly to the front of your truck; bring the relays and red pigtail forward over the front of the assembly. Making sure not to pinch or catch them in the mounting your headlight assembly on the front of your truck. Picture 2

Work the relays, 3 prong male connector and red wires into what position you want or need. I mounted the relays on the front side of the radiator support where I could reach them (They are hidden by the radiator cowl covers)
Ok, once that is finished high five something or someone, drink a glass of your favorite beverage and let’s start on the tie into the wiring harness.
OK, the wires that will normally go directly to your factory headlight hardness (green and tan in my harness) will need to go through the radiator support grommet (may have several feet of these wires). Each single wire is split (left/right low beam and left/right high beam and have NO connectors on them. E-Z wire gives you two connectors already made into pigtails with the harness; you will use one during this assembly.

Once you feed the green and tan wire through the radiator support you will need to connect the loose wires into a female socket to them connect directly into the new relay assembly. I used the pre-wired female connector and cut and soldered that into the wires coming from firewall. Picture 4

You will have a black wire to serve as ground for the assembly. I mounted this with a self-taping screw to the radiator support as well. I have learned NOT to use the insulated butt connectors I prefer to strip and solder as well as heat shrink my connections. I find you have a better connection and (you see this as well). Takes just a few minutes longer but it will serve you well.
Once you have attached your pigtail to the OEM wiring harness, simply plug it into the new assembly and you should be ready to go and connect the new relay harness to your battery. Picture 5 and Picture 6

I hope this helps someone as I ended up calling my brother who gave me more help than the Seller of the assembly.

Any thoughts or IF someone can make this any clearer, you have my permission to do so. – Pay me with a cigar!
Attached Images

Old 01-28-2014, 07:23 PM   #11
jbgroby

next pictures from set. I bought the Halogens from Napa for $8 a piece.
Attached Images

Old 01-28-2014, 08:05 PM   #12
zippeay

Wow! Thanks a lot bro! Where's the pic of the finished grill??? Oh and if you could let me knew where you got your parts I would highly appreciate it!
Old 01-28-2014, 08:45 PM   #13
jbgroby

I bought the new wiring harness from LMC $30.00 plus shipping. Oh and BTW make sure you put the plug on the correct side. I did it backwards the first time. it need to be on the same side at the battery.
Attached Images

Old 01-28-2014, 10:30 PM   #14
zippeay

Thanks! Nice truck!