The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-01-2010, 11:35 AM   #1
akeane01

Exclamation 1955 1st Series Gas Tank Question

I have a 3100 1955 1st series truck that has been sitting for about 10 years and has not run at all in that time period. I got the truck recently and am now working on trying to get it back to a running state but have a question. I am sure there was gas in the fuel tank back then but not sure if there is any left now but i can see nothing in the carb or the inline fuel filter that was put in. What are the issues in letting gas sit in the tank for so long? Does this pose an issue or can gas just be added?

Also is there any issue with unleaded gas with these engines?

thanks
akeane01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 12:07 PM   #2
Houston54

Re: 1955 1st Series Gas Tank Question

Old gas turns to varnish which will cause many problems in a fuel system. Tanks in old vehicles have a tendency to collect dirt and debris over the years which adds sediment to the equation. If the gas completely evaporated over time then it must have had a means to escape meaning the integrity of the tanks, hose elements may be compromised.

If an inspection of the various components does not reveal any holes or broken lines you can always try to add some new gas and try to start it. It may come to life and if not you needed to put something in the tank to help flush it out anyway. Just make sure no ignition sources are in the area when you are doing this and you are away from any structures you do not want to turn into charcoal.
Houston54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 05:16 PM   #3
raycow

I would advise against trying to start the engine on 10 year old gas. Instead, Disconnect the inlet line from the pump and connect a length of hose to the inlet port. Stick the other end in a can of fresh gas and start the engine on that.

Next, drain the tank and line. At this point, you will have to decide whether to do a complete cleanout or add a few gallons of fresh gas and hope for the best. With my luck, I would go for the cleanout, but I leave the choice to you.

Ray
Old 11-01-2010, 07:43 PM   #4
OrrieG

Even with a tank clean out make sure you plumb in a couple of expendable filters before the fuel pump. You do not want to get crud into the pump, fuel lines and carb. I'm going thru the same drill with a 69 that was last running in 02.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 07:52 PM   #5
enick72

Mine had been sitting for 33 years so I removed the carb, fuel filter and fuel pump and cleaned them. I then disconnected the line from the frame to the tank and ran a hose into a gas can.
There is a drain in the bottom of the tank that can be found beside the fuel line under the body. I would say just pull out the tank and flush it out to be safe.
enick72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 08:12 PM   #6
Arkansas50's

There are a few other things you should do before you start it. 1. change the oil. 2. Pull the distributor and prime the oil system. 3. pull the plugs and spray a little lube in the cylinders. With the plugs out, bump the starter for a couple rounds to make sure the rings arent stuck, then spin it over for a few rounds. 4. Put the plugs back and with a clean remote fuel source you should be ready for a try.
1954 Chevy 6400
Arkansas50's is offline   Reply With Quote