The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-08-2007, 02:47 AM   #1
WALLY NC

Newbi But Oldbi (71 Years Old)

I am trying to put my 1964 Chevrolet One Ton Stake Truck, back in service. It has been stored out of site of me for about five years and a nasty ex-neighbor has done many bad things to it. The truck has a small, 230 gas engine with six cylinders. I parked the truck on vinyl cloth so the tires did not rot. I put in a fresh battery, found no spark coming out of the coil, so I replaced it, still no spark, so I replaced the condensor, had to replace the distributor cap, because the screws would not come out and I had to break it to get it off. Still no spark, but I got a small spark from the "+" post on the coil to a ground. I found the distributor hold down bolt was loosened eight turns, so I turned the engine to the timing mark, on the compression stroke for number one piston, set the new rotor purchased because he bent the old one, pointing to the hole in the distributor cap, that number one spark plug wire goes into and tightened the bolt. He had closed the points and tightened the hold down screw, so I had to adjust the points to .019 inch and tightened them down. I turned the engine over at night, but there is no spark between the number one spark plug wire and the side of the engine, or to the top of the number one spark plug. I think I changed everything, but why do I not get a spark now ??? I guess he cut the rubber gas line and drained my gas tank full of gasoline, but I will have to change it anyway, if I can find a new tank, in case he put sugar into it. I need help to get this mess fixed up, so it will run.
Wally

Last edited by WALLY NC; 10-08-2007 at 02:51 AM. Reason: Forgot four words !
WALLY NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 05:50 AM   #2
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

Re: Newbi But Oldbi (71 Years Old)

I'm on expert, but here's what I would try next;
Take the distributor cap off. Turn the engine so that the points are closed. Turn on the ignition key. Take a screwdriver and open and close the points. See if you're getting fire there. If not, and if you have a multi meter, check for voltage to the coil. You have two small wires running to the coil. With the key on, you should have 12v on the wire that DOSEN'T go to the distributor. If you don't, you may have some cut wires at the switch or in-between.
Just some useless info, one oldbi (59 yrs) to another.
oh yea, and

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 01:41 PM   #3
Stepside65
Still Truckless!

Welcome from SE New Mexico. Wish I could help you with your problems but this is out of my realm of knowledge. (just starting to learn) There are alot of great knowledgable people on here so I'm sure they'll set you straight.
1997 Nissan Pickup Father-in-law's tonka toy I am forced to drive
Founder of The 60-66 Club

Tutor Et Ultor
Stepside65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 04:03 PM   #4
hewlett2002000

why did your neighbor do that stuff? was he mad at you or just doing it to be mean?
John
3. Willingness to show consideration or appreciation.

When you fail to show consideration to others values you are showing disrespect.
hewlett2002000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 05:22 PM   #5
WALLY NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by hewlett2002000 View Post
why did your neighbor do that stuff? was he mad at you or just doing it to be mean?
John
I own a gold mine, spent $100,000 a year on it for twenty years and that $2,000,000 probably made my neighbors jealous, because they were all dirt poor. This particular neighbor is a drunk, drug addict, presently in prison, the lowest life I have ever seen, is about four feet tall, weighs about 80 pounds. I have 34 acres fenced in with a six feet tall chain link fence, with "No Tresspessing" signs every twenty feet. He has gone on that property about 100 times, broke into three differant locked Mobile Homes containing a lot of my personal belongings, two large storage sheds, my camper and must feel that all of my stuff should belong to him. I do not know what all he took, but remember a large quantity of 1964 quarters that were the last silver made, four Chromatic Harmonicas worth $150 each, several thousand feet of braided copper wire that I used for welding leads, large rolls of new expensive carpeting found in his trash dump and all I wish to know is what he got, so I can stop looking for it. I am 6'3" tall, weigh 250 pounds, am solid muscle, mean as a snake, but can't touch him without repercusions. Wally
WALLY NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 10:38 PM   #6
baddawg65

check this thread. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=242196
baddawg65 is offline   Reply With Quote