The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-05-2010, 01:34 AM   #1
1974ChevyC10
Overworked and Underlaid

Talking Guess what i got tonite.............

Tonite i purchased for the paltry sum of 700 dollars a..........................
1978 Chevy LWB two wheel drive 1/2 ton which currently has a 250 I-6 and a 3 on the tree manual trans.it is burgundy in color with a tan interior,body is very straight except for minor hail damage on the hood,a small dent in the drivers side cab corner(very small almost hard to see with the naked eye) and some really minor dents and dings,no rust,truck is complete,truck currently has 16 inch wheels with 245/75/r16 tires,chrome tube grille,chrome front bumper,painted rear bumper which needs a little work,interior is all intact
seat is good,floormat is good,dash is good except for a few cracks,gauges are all complete and the best part the dash is not cut for a newer radio,truck has a few unusual features in that its a 6 cyl/3spd truck but it has factory a/c,it has heavy duty power steering and power brakes,its a heavy half-does have 8 springs in the rear,has 4.11 gears.overall a good deal for 700 dollars.

my plans for it
get it from tonopah,az where i bought over to the mesa/chandler area or get it over to my dads in flagstaff,az to begin work on swapping over the V-8 driveline and performance parts from my orange 78 to the new red 78.

swap the black wheels on the red truck now for my gm rally wheels.the rally's are off an 84 Chevy originally but im going to buy 78 year beauty rings and center caps so there year matching-may powdercoat them as well.

put a 4 spd manual trans steering column and floorshifter

possibly put brand new seat out of my best friends 84 GMC parts truck since its brand new and has new upholstery and its red.

ok thats all i can think of for now and im tired its been a long day so ill stop here for now.ill try to add some pics of it for your viewing pleasure
Attached Images

The Beast-1978 C10 LWB

Red-1978 C10 LWB

(Uncle Mike)Michael Henry Millett 11/5/1957 to 03/08/2012
Gone but will never be forgotten-RIP

(Uncle Chuck)Charles Manning Gulbronsen Sr 1956-2012
Taken from us to soon but you will live on in our hearts-RIP
1974ChevyC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 02:32 AM   #2
63chevyll
gets board easy.......

Re: Guess what i got tonite.............

i think you should race it our at Speedworld on the dirt track.....but thats just me
63chevyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 05:21 AM   #3
Woogeroo

congrats.

-W
Woogeroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 07:40 AM   #4
1974ChevyC10
Overworked and Underlaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63chevyll View Post
i think you should race it our at Speedworld on the dirt track.....but thats just me
the previous owner started a V-8 conversion already he pulled out the radiator from the truck and loosened up the a/c and powersteering.so it will be towed out of there.the previous owner lived in tonopah i live 75 miles east in chandler arizona.the drive out there took at least 90 minutes and we were honestly after leaving my friends house(he drove me out there)and he lives another 15 miles east of me we were halfway to L.A by the time we hit our destination.so going to speedworld at least to me is out of the question plus i live alot closer to firebird raceway so if i were to race it anywhere it would be there(ive never drag raced anything before well on a sanctioned track anyway so that would be kinda fun)plus i would get a chance to see what my motor can do after its installed and fine tuned.

The Beast-1978 C10 LWB

Red-1978 C10 LWB

Old 03-05-2010, 09:01 AM   #5
rare86
Extended cab fanatic

Re: Guess what i bought

Looks like a nice ride, at a good price. Congrats
Old 03-05-2010, 09:03 AM   #6
ECU PIRATE

Nice score. I wish I could find good deals like that in Va!!!! But wait, I paid $ 500 for my 82' SWB & $ 200 for my 77' 2wd K5..........
14' VW Passat SE TSI (my personal)
14' Ford Edge Sport (Daily Work Vehicle)
73' SWB Stepside - 77K org. miles
74' LWB 454/TH400 - drive train transplant for my (Sold)
98' SWB C1500 W/T - shop truck (Sold)
90' GMC Sierra SLE short step - aka " Jezabelle " (Sold)
ECU PIRATE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 10:47 AM   #7
Driveway Dreams
I have car A.D.D.

Loogs like a good deal. How wrong can you be for $700? Good job. Keep us updated on the progress.
The 86 build thread SOLD

Are you a Colorado member?Click here.
Driveway Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 11:21 AM   #8
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

sounds like a nice plan

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 11:33 AM   #9
1974ChevyC10
Overworked and Underlaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driveway Dreams View Post
Loogs like a good deal. How wrong can you be for $700? Good job. Keep us updated on the progress.
Of all my vehicle purchases this is the best deal by far.i paid 775 dollars for the first truck ive ever owned coincidentally a 1978 Chevy C10 shortbed green in color.that truck on paper was a good deal but believe me in reality it was far from it.that truck needed a new front clip,doors,complete interior re-do,complete front suspension rebuild,new tires and rims,lots of other bodywork,didnt run when i bought it.only thing good on that truck when i got it was the freakin transmission.one of the best built TH350's ive ever seen.shoulda kept it lol but when i owned this truck i was a very poor high school student who didnt make alot of money.traded it in oct 1999 for a 1978 Chevy Longbed which i still own to this day but when i got it the guy selling it was asking 800 dollars which i didnt have so on a whim i decided to ask if he was willing to take a truck in trade as i was really tired of the shortbed and just wanted to see it go.he said yes so it was on from there however the longbed ended up giving me just as much grief if not more than the shortbed.got the longbed in driveable condition the tranny in it went out and the owner hadnt completed the installation so me and my dad finished that.from when i bought it until now it has been through at least 5 transmissions,4 engines,3 exhaust systems,2 sets of tires and countless other stuff.here in the next few months the engine and trans will be pulled out,put in the new truck in place of the 6cyl/3spd,all other performance stuff and exhaust from the orange 78 will go on the red 78,swap parts i dont want from red 78 over to orange 78 then sell off big orange.then the red 78 will be my occasional driver/playtoy unless the trans in my delta 88 goes out totally or starts to go then i will retire that and sell it as well.the rest of the vehicles ive owned 7 other vehicles(5 trucks and 5 cars)most of the remaining have served me well with some exception.i just cant wait for big red to get on the road and to take that first drive.

The Beast-1978 C10 LWB

Red-1978 C10 LWB

Old 03-05-2010, 01:26 PM   #10
augie
Waiting for Paul to Open Safe

Two threads merged, please don't double post.