The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-03-2024, 08:20 PM   #1
66 C10 383

Authentic Exterior Paint Color

This is in reference to the realistic paint shading of the truck.

I have a 1966 C10 which was originally painted the 536 tutone paint, being Dark Aqua Poly and white roof and side trim. Other codes for this shows W83E5142 and also 13184.

I know any paint dealer should be able to mix the paint (like a PPG dealer) or even TCPGlobal shows this paint. I'd like to know how accurate the shading is before I buy it. Is it "close" ... "exact" or not even close ...

The truck isn't ready for paint yet or even drivable but I'm wondering about the paint itself.

I've seen a truck that was claimed to be the 66 Dark Aqua Poly painted with BC/CC but it looked nothing even close to mine. It was a lot darker blue. When I bought my truck the bed was removed and the unfaded rear of the cab between the bed and cab can be seen. Also, the insides of the bed, even being scratched and dented shows the actual color of this paint. I could have the rear of the cab polished & buffed for a truer color representation.

I'd like to have this truck repainted in the actual shade of correct Dark Aqua Poly paint.

I know little about paint work (or bodywork for that matter) so that's why I'm asking here instead of the bodywork section.

I understand it was originally a laquer paint. Would an acrylic enamel mixed using the original paint code be the same shade?

I'd like the paint to be as durable as possible but also accurate shade wise. I've heard the paint color being a 1966 Chevy truck color is a rare color with estimates being 10% as a single color and then even lower being a tutone color.

It's not going to be an exact reproduction restoration but body-wise, especially with the paint, I want it as came from the factory.

Old Build Thread - 383/T56
http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=540838

Updated Build Thread - Modern Relic - 66 C10 536 Dark Aqua
5.3/4L60E - BTR Stage IV Truck Cam - Vintage Air - Dakota Digital
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=778784
66 C10 383 is offline   Reply With Quote