The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-23-2003, 02:32 AM   #1
slow69

AZ emissions

I am putting in a 350 goodwrench engine in my 82 2wd blazer and it has the egr crap on it. I want to know if I can still use a holley 4175 600cfm vac sec. instead of the crap q-jet. I would still connect all of the egr stuff but was wondering if the emmission people would care. What do you think? I don't think they would even see it.
slow69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 01:26 PM   #2
PHOENIX

Most places dont check real close.
Just make sure you have everything on your under the hood sticker. If they dont like you or think you are trying to pull something they will start looking at things closer.

When I was having problems with my q-jet I bought the Edelbrock 1904 q-jet and passed emissions with no problems.

Does that holley carb have the vacuum ports you need to keep all your emission components? That is what they may look at.
Old 07-23-2003, 01:33 PM   #3
slow69

thanks eddie,
I just don't want to use the q-jet. If it has enough vaccuum ports, I will use it, if not, I will probably use the q-jet and change it out after I test it. It just means that I will have to rebuild 2 carbs instead of 1.
Old 07-23-2003, 02:46 PM   #4
Tom
driving is in my blood

They stick it too me every time I go threw emissions. I even pass the sniffer first time around, then go back 6 times for equipment
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 07:09 PM   #5
slow69

So you have to change out the carb? That sucks. That means that I might have to use the damn q-jet.
Old 07-24-2003, 03:34 PM   #6
PHOENIX

Tom what do they stick you with?
When I was having problems (before I got the 1904) you told me to go to Mesa because you dont have problems out there.
Old 07-24-2003, 04:37 PM   #7
Tom
driving is in my blood

They stick the rule book up my tailpipe and test

It was the greenfield station in mesa I had all the problems with. I went and passes emissions the first time out. I didnt know about needing the charcoal canister, so they failed me. No big deal. I went back with the charcoal canister, but no fuel bowl vent tube. They passed the canister, but failed me for no EGR. I told them it dosen't have provisions for EGR. They sent me to the phoenix location. Phonix location passed the EGR, but failed the lack of fuel bowl vent. Went back to the greenfield station with everything fixed, now the greenfield station says the canister is hooked up wrong. This is getting annoying.
So I get a print out from the phoenix station showing exactly how to hook everything up. Hook everything up to specs, and go to greenfield station. Now they just don't have any clue, and send me to the phoenix station for a tech call. Did I mention emissions people are a bunch of idiots? I finally passed, got out of line and while waiting for them to print everything I ripped the emissions crap back off. They just kinda looked at me with a wierd look on their face
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 02:02 AM   #8
slow69

Hey Tom,
That sounds like a bunch of crap to deal with. I took my 69 to the greenfield station and the dumbass who put it through the test couldn't shift it because it was converted from column to floor shift (the throws are longer). I didn't have any problems with it passing but the last time I took the Blazer, it took me 4 times to get it to pass.
The f@&ked up thing is that they 3rd time, it passed fine but in my rush to get it passed, I step on one of the vac lines going to the charcoal canister and it came off. The damn guy runs the entire test, it passes but then he fails me because the hose wasn't connected. And he said that he saw it unconnected in the beginning of the test but still ran the damn thing like that.
I am going to try to sneak the carb through. They don't take off the air filter housing so they shouldn't be able to see anything.
Old 07-25-2003, 02:31 AM   #9
navybear70
hometown heroes!

My '80 came outa AZ and passed emmisions with a Carter 4bbl on top. I'm getting rid of the dual cats soon. A buddy tore his '82 apart and gave me his Hooker headers with exhuast (w/Flows). Yes... gave it to me.

Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. -Robert E. Lee

"Never give up ground you've already taken." -Unknown
navybear70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 06:27 PM   #10
PHOENIX

2 guys couldnt drive the stick in my truck either.
One of the easiest sticks I ever drove, but these guys miss gears and just flat suck at shifting. I was starting to get really mad.