The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-10-2011, 03:30 PM   #1
JMARQUEZ_13

using stock looking radio?

Has anyone heard how good the stock looking aftermarket radio works?
Was originally cut the dash but really starting to like the way the old ones look.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:25 PM   #2
Fldawg

Re: using stock looking radio?

i have a custom autosound radio with the stock look sounds good with the regular kickpanel speakers and when i hook up ipod sounds great, it's worth the extra money to keep the dash stock.........Tom
Fldawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 04:39 PM   #3
70cst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fldawg View Post
i have a custom autosound radio with the stock look sounds good with the regular kickpanel speakers and when i hook up ipod sounds great, it's worth the extra money to keep the dash stock.........Tom
Agreed with Fldawg "not" to cut your dash...but then again it's your truck so do what you feel right. There are a lot of mixed reviews with the Autosound radios though...Some have had the factory radio modified for ipod aplications which good results.

I recently bought a NOC RCA GM fit AM-FM 8 Track so I hope this fits...

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!

Last edited by 70cst; 02-10-2011 at 04:40 PM.
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 06:06 PM   #4
Steve Hafner

I bought one of the new AM/FM original reproduction radios pictured below. As soon as it is installed ( within the next month ) I'll let everybody know what I think. I really like the size of it - it's only about three inches deep AND still has all the latest electronics. I also bought the new "in dash" speaker that's supposed to sound real good when combined with this radio.
Attached Images

Life is short . . . we only have, right now.

. . . .

My 70 C-10's BUILD THREAD: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=475526

Last edited by Steve Hafner; 02-10-2011 at 06:08 PM.
Steve Hafner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 06:19 PM   #5
cdowns

i tried a custom autosound model USA1 lasted about 4months 2 months for them to repair it the repair lasted 6weeks then they wouldnt do anything to repair it
i've heard alot of similar stories from other people about this crap company and thier loended highly overpriced priced junk
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 06:29 PM   #6
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Radios and dashes....generate a lot of do's and don'ts. If you have or find an original AM/FM, then it's worthwhile to fix it and use it. The aftermarket radios that I read about here don't always seem to be the best bang for the buck. That makes an aftermarket DIN-sized radio that has some bells and whistles, a bit better deal. In my case, the dash has already been cut so I'm gonna use Mahanians' billet piece to clean up the hole and then install a DIN-sized radio, with CD player.

But, the bottom line is that if you own the truck, what you do with it is your own business. As in all things, there are the right ways and wrong ways to achieve the goals. I think that for the most part, those days of "makin' it fit" are over. At this point in the truck game, I like to think we're smart enough to know what is good for our trucks and what isn't. At some point, someone will start manufacturing repair panels to restore the dash on these trucks, like they have done for the 64-66's.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 06:52 PM   #7
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
i tried a custom autosound model USA1 lasted about 4months 2 months for them to repair it the repair lasted 6weeks then they wouldnt do anything to repair it
i've heard alot of similar stories from other people about this crap company and thier loended highly overpriced priced junk
I would agree.

I have a Custom Autosound USA-1 in one of my other vehicles. It has worked for about 10 years, however it looks like a knock-off and it doesn't sound very good. It does however fit in the stock dash opening.

Do a search, there are a lot of different options. Probably the least expensive of which is to install an aftermarket radio elsewhere in the cab, and leave the stock radio where it is. And the other end of the price scale is sending your old radio to a place that will put modern internals in it.

Click on this link... lots of good data and ideas here: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...archid=2156049

Good Luck!

Last edited by lakeroadster; 02-10-2011 at 07:24 PM.
lakeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote