The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-01-2005, 01:20 PM   #1
hottrodd57

need some help on a parts truck I am looking to buy

I have a 61 lwb truck which is in excellent shape, the problem with the truck is that I want to convert it to a short bed truck. so here is the question....... I found a 66 swb truck the is in good contion . the frame is good and the bed is good condtion (few dents, no rust) truck in not running. he is asking 500 for the truck . is that a fair price ? what does good swb sides go for? when I get the truck home would I Be able to part out the rest on the truck minus bed and frame (cab, doors, and frontend, etc.)and get a couple hundred dollars back ?, then also what would a excellent lwb be worth? thanks for any input,

Last edited by hottrodd57; 04-01-2005 at 01:25 PM.
hottrodd57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 01:38 PM   #2
kamikazegmc
Registered Smarta$$

to me that sounds like a good deal, also you can part it out and get most of your money back if not all. there might be a body mount difference, but i could be wrong thats my 2 cents.

Last edited by kamikazegmc; 04-01-2005 at 01:40 PM.
kamikazegmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 03:22 PM   #3
bpmcgee

Hot,

I understand cab mounting changed -- not hard to understand since the cab changed. Also I'm not sure what changes you'll see with the different front suspensions (torsion bar vs. coil spring).

Wouldn't you be better off just doing an engine swap and driving the '66? You'll get more from selling a complete truck than from selling parts (unless the truck is a dog). Also original vehicles are more desireable than patchwork quilts (which imho is what you'll end up with).

Brian
bpmcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 05:49 PM   #4
624whldr
drive it not trailer it

i would do it

the major thing you have to install from you 61 is the rear cab mounts , the 66 will have coil spring all the way around,61 may have torsion front suppention the 61 may also have a hydrallic clutch the 66 is mechanical linkage, but if you decide on building the 66 i take the cab from you 62 as mine is junk LOL
Short bed pickups do seem to have a higher value and unless its a real top notch resto the 8 ft beds not gonna help the resale on it
just my .02
624whldr is offline   Reply With Quote