The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-18-2009, 05:49 PM   #1
jojo
printing is my trade

suspension lowering question

Eventually I want to buy all the parts to rebuild the front end but not until later (not a lot of funds) for now, I'm getting ready to purchase a drop kit. 3" front 4" back. With shock locators and new shocks.

With all those rusty parts in that old pick up, what parts am I most likely going to destroy when removing parts to get to the springs?

I want to minimize down time and order everything at once and get it done in one day.

Last edited by jojo; 08-18-2009 at 05:49 PM. Reason: oops
jojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 05:59 PM   #2
70rs/ss

Re: suspension lowering question

Well the steering is way more important than lowering in my opinion as safety FIRST looks second. If you are going to do springs, that is the time to do upper and lower balljoints and the A-arm bushings, otherwise you will have to pull the front end apart again to replace those parts later, and I hate to redo anything, save up for the front springs, ball joints, a-arm bushings then do all of that at once.
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 06:10 PM   #3
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70rs/ss View Post
Well the steering is way more important than lowering in my opinion as safety FIRST looks second. If you are going to do springs, that is the time to do upper and lower balljoints and the A-arm bushings, otherwise you will have to pull the front end apart again to replace those parts later, and I hate to redo anything, save up for the front springs, ball joints, a-arm bushings then do all of that at once.
x 2. Also look into a new pitman arm and idler arm as well.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 06:43 PM   #4
jojo
printing is my trade

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70rs/ss View Post
I hear you. I'm only asking because the steering is relatively tight and the truck drives straight. I just don't want to start removing bolts and find out that most of them will need replacing because they are all rusted in place and need cutting. But maybe your right.