The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-07-2014, 11:29 PM   #1
Ziegelsteinfaust

Seat Advice

I am moving forward on my 73,74,79 C now K20 build, and I finally welded in the high hump trans cover today for the removable 4x4 section.

So I am looking to install my H2 middle seat I purchased last year. I have done a bunch of internet searches to install one. It is the same middle seat as the Tahoe, Suburban, or Avalanche.

I had it on a bench today taking measurements, and I did not realize how tall it is. Or how short my available space was. I am looking at taking atleast 8 inches out of the frame, and somehow mounting it to my sliders.

So has anyone done this swap? Or am I going to be the first?

I have a couple of Idea's, but I am not sure I want to destroy the seat to give it a shot.

If not I will likely spring for suspension seats, and a ultra custom center counsel.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 01:29 AM   #2
rich weyand

Re: Seat Advice

Seats for the square bodies is always a problem because the floor humps up to clear the saddle tanks. The common cures in going to new seats are: 1) take out the saddle tanks and install a tank in the rear between the frame rails, then re-work the floor flat; 2) rebuild the donor seats to shorten them, if possible; or 3) get seats that are built for the square body, either OEM or aftermarket.

You might have the ability to rebuild the floor flat. You basically cut out the part where the floor humps up, move it back behind the seat, and then fill in the gap with flat floor. Sort of like doing a tub on a wheel well, where you move the stock curved parts in and then fill the gaps. I'm not sure which tank you use in the back, but there is a stock tank that fits in between the frame rails, from the Suburban and Blazer.

Hopefully also someone can tell you whether the H2 seats can be reworked.

My fab abilities are limited, so I went with aftermarket seats from discountvantruck.com, and got semi-custom heated leather 40-20-40 buckets with a console and jump seat. They come with the bracketry for the square body, and fit on the stock floor profile perfectly. The install took a couple hours, and it was only that long because I tweaked it a bit to get it to slide further back to accommodate my leg length. Going quality new aftermarket seats runs $1000 and up, depending on whether you go leather/heaters/lumbar or stick with regular cloth seats. I like what I did, I was able to specify color and even do colored inserts, and the workmanship is terrific.

1978 K10 RCSB DD.
rich weyand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 12:54 PM   #3
Ziegelsteinfaust

Re: Seat Advice

I am not going to mod the floor pans. Eventually I plan to use a burb gas tank, and put tool boxes where my fuel tanks currently are. So I can keep my bed free for camping stuff.

So I will have to take a chance on doing something wrong.

If not I will go with suspension seats or those cheap plastic seats from Summit.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote