The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-21-2010, 10:55 PM   #1
67-C10

Door Glass Disassmbly ?

Got some nice tinted door glass at the swap meet last year and it didn't have the metal channel on bottom,so i'm wondering how to get the channel off the other set i have and what to reset the new glass into it for adhesive.

Project 67 short step Build Thread

01 Sierra Crew 6.0
2015 Ford F150 Work gave me truck i really wouldn't buy a ford.
67-C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:05 AM   #2
nyncompute

Re: Door Glass Disassmbly ?

I was waiting until someone could tell you how to do it the right way.... but here goes:
I got a hard plastic hammer (not rubber that would catch on the glass) and while holding on to it, I slid the hammer top to bottom along the glass to pound the track off. I wasn't in a hurry and didn't try to do too much at a time. it came off in a minute or so. As for reinstalling, There is window setting tape that the vendors sell. I think I used Windex or a mild soap to lube it up and worked the window it into the new tape that's sitting in the track.
That's how I did it, but maybe someone else can chime in with a better and or correct procedure.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:07 AM   #3
68shortstep
Looks good at 20-ft .....

Glass is usually held in such a channel by a "glazing tape" which is a somewhat sticky thick rubberized tape. Usually when it's old, it's fairly well stuck onto the glass.

Have to use a rubber mallet & drive the old channel off the glass you now have. A little bit of heat on the metal channel may help make it turn loose. Can always break the old glass & drive/chisel it out of the channel if you have to, using a screwdriver that will fit into the channel track to scrape all the old tape out. Clean all the old tape & any broken glass out of the channel really thoroughly.

Any glass shop ought to be able to sell you the new tape you'll need, or even install the new glass into the channel for you for just a very few bucks. Easier/safer if you don't want to risk breaking your new glass.

If you want to do it yourself, put the new glazing tape onto the glass evenly side-to-side, stand the glass top-side-down on a carpeted floor or workbench vertically & use a rubber mallet to tap/drive the channel straight down down onto the glass.

I've also seen guys do it the other way, and hit on the top edge of the glass to drive it down into the channel. Just depends on guts & practice to feel OK about whacking hard on a raw glass edge, but it works.

Glass is stronger than you think. I've seen workers have to literally beat on a channel to drive it down onto the glass edge, especially if the glazing tape they have is a bit thick or if it's cold & stiff. Heating the glazing tape a little bit from a heat lamp or out in the sun helps, too, to soften it up.

After the channel is on the glass, you can use a razor blade to trim the glazing tape back, but you'll probably never see it on the channel down inside the door.

Last edited by 68shortstep; 09-22-2010 at 11:10 AM. Reason: typo
68shortstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:00 PM   #4
67-C10

Thanks I'll give it a shot this weekend.

Project 67 short step Build Thread

01 Sierra Crew 6.0
2015 Ford F150 Work gave me truck i really wouldn't buy a ford.
67-C10 is offline   Reply With Quote