The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-31-2010, 11:37 AM   #1
Irishpilot

Best Limited Slip for 12-Bolt

Alright guys,

Who's smart on the best Limited Slip unit for a 12-Bolt? Mine is currently a unlimited slip and I drag race the truck at the strip and I'm tired of the lack of traction. I use this truck weekly so it has to have some kind of street manners.

I know there are Eaton units, and some others, but I've heard there are clutch (most common) and geared. Any ideas or guidance??
406ci sb; zero decked, bored .030, edelbrock aluminum e-tec heads, edelbrock performer RPM intake, comp 268 cam, comp 1.6 pro-magnum roller rockers, MSD street fire HEI, MSD 8.5mm wires, Holley Street demon 770, Hedman LT headers. 10.6:1 compression, Air Ride Tech bags on all 4-corners.
Irishpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 12:52 PM   #2
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Re: Best Limited Slip for 12-Bolt

If this is primarily a street driven truck that sees some racing, a simple clutch-type positraction is fine. Eaton being one of the more popular units because of it's strength and it's rebuildable.
Clutch-type models are the most forgiving and driveable. In everyday driving, most of the time, you will not even know that it's back there. The main exceptions being rain and snow. The back of the truck will be more likely to slide out on a turn. Any type of traction device will do that though, it is a function of the tires spinning together.

The "locker" type units are much more "harsh" in their action. You will know that it's back there in normal street driving. For all but the most extremem comditions, they are over-kill. The street manners take some getting used to, especially with a manual transmission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 01:18 PM   #3
cdowns

i used a MOROSO "brute force" posi the last one i used// it was a bit louded in announcing its presence but less aggressive than a detroit locker
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 02:37 PM   #4
btullis99

I run an eaton truetrac, its awesome. under hard power its locked up, but differentiates very well when driving around town. its silent, never needs rebuilt, and doesn't require special gear oil additives. this would be the differential I would recommend to anyone building up a diff.
btullis99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 05:18 PM   #5
Husker

I have Tru Tracs front and rear in My Jeep CJ and they work great
Ron
Member #111
68 C-10 Daily Driver
70 4x4 Project
76 Jeep CJ-5

Help Support the Board:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php

He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
Thomas Jefferson
Husker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 09:27 PM   #6
Irishpilot

I was looking at the Trutrac unit. Now I'm looking at which size gears for the truck. It has a TH350, so I'm thinking of either 3.42 or 3.73. Leaning more towards 3.42s as a good compromise between RPMs on the highway and acceleration.

Anyone have any thoughts on those gears?
406ci sb; zero decked, bored .030, edelbrock aluminum e-tec heads, edelbrock performer RPM intake, comp 268 cam, comp 1.6 pro-magnum roller rockers, MSD street fire HEI, MSD 8.5mm wires, Holley Street demon 770, Hedman LT headers. 10.6:1 compression, Air Ride Tech bags on all 4-corners.
Old 07-31-2010, 09:32 PM   #7
nlped

I have an Auburn Pro w/ 3.42 gears. I love it!!! It has a TH350 in it and it runs out great at highway speeds. And the differential works flawlessly, I know it isn't rebuildable, but I have had the an Auburn Pro in my mustang (Driven hard...a lot) for a decade without issue!

1968 Chevy SWB Fleet... Walt

1963-1/2 Ford Falcon Futura...Martha
nlped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 05:09 AM   #8
btullis99

with a th350, i wouldn't go any lower than 3.43's. 3.73's or lower would make it a bear cruising down the highway. just my opinion.
btullis99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 10:42 AM   #9
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

The 3.42s are great all around gears, especially with a non OD transmission. You really should factor in the peak HP/TQ range of your cam as well as the height of your rear tire. If your running a tall tire, the 3.73s are a better choice.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 01:00 PM   #10
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Since you mentioned drag racing in the OP I would say go with the 3.73s. You will run at a bit higher RPM on the highway, but it won't be that bad. If you have a taller tire, it might even be better to go to 4.10.

Some engine info and tire size would help with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 06:31 PM   #11
Irishpilot

Engine is a 406 sb, 10.6:1 compression, alum intake and Etec heads, more info in my signature.

The wheels are 235/50R17 fronts and 255/50R17.

I have 4.10s in my 6-speed manual Corvette, and they are as steep as I'd want. I think with no overdrive and my tire size, 4.10s are too steep for street driving.

I sold my DD car before going to Korea, and the plan is to have the truck as hot-rod daily, so it will see more street that track, but I'll be racing enough. Here are some pics:

Truck at ride height on current wheels:
Old 08-01-2010, 08:50 PM   #12
mr.chevy

wow what do you have in the suspension to make it that height. I am looking to lower my truck to about that height.

Looks really nice man!
mr.chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 10:41 PM   #13
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.chevy View Post
wow what do you have in the suspension to make it that height. I am looking to lower my truck to about that height. Looks really nice man!
From his sig "Air Ride Tech bags on all 4-corners."

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 01:52 AM   #14
Irishpilot

mr. Chevy, thanks. I've got 2.5" drop spindles up front with the bags, CCP sway bar. In back, the bags directly replaced the coils, drop shocks, CCP Trac Bar kit. Running 5 gal slip tank with onboard compressor, 8 valves for independent adjustments.

The picture shows it at ride height. It will go a bit lower, but I've got longtubes, so that is as low I as dare use on the road.
Old 08-02-2010, 01:33 PM   #15
Dynomutt

What gear is in the truck now? I'd say use that as a baseline for your new gear if you can. I have a BB / TH350 and had 3.73's with a single spinner and I'm going back with 3.42 double spinner for better driveability (I hope). Won't be racing mine though.

Build Thread

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=446194
Dynomutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 03:19 PM   #16
Rideto100

I am brand new to this site and come from a rock crawling background with drag racing before that. I am not sure if you have looked into them but since you already have air ride I assume you have an air compressor set up of some sort. So with that being said why not look at the ARB air lockers? They are completely off without air to them and when turned on they are 100% locked up. I have never seen anyone using one in an application like this and have never understood why. I have used them several times and they are very streetable, and trust me when I say I have abused them and never had a single problem. Just thought you might give it a look.
Rideto100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 04:23 PM   #17
Irishpilot

I also have a TH350 and single spinner with 3.73s. Right now I'm getting about 14mpg at 70 mph and somewhere in the 2500-2700rpm range. I think 3.42s would help the mileage but of course acceleration would suffer.

I'll look into the air lockers...never heard of them on a street truck. You are correct, I'm running an onboard compressor.