The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-11-2024, 02:02 PM   #1
PbFut

Roof top Running lights electrical feed

Attempting to run a wire to the roof top holes. Factory route as I understand is down the A pillar. When I attempt to feed a fisher cable, an old speedo cable, I can only get passage through a small hole inside the cab at the top junction of the A pillar and roof. Both Driver and passenger side the same. Hours of fishing to my original intended route at the cab corner is proving impossible to get past the roof joint to back panel. The cable hits and turns into the roof cavity. Was the factory route into this little hole in upper front corner and down the pillar behind the windshield weather stripping then into a small relief at the bottom of pillar where dash meets? That can't be correct. I would think the small hole at top would chaff the wire as it can't fit a grommet. Both sides the same and fishing into this little hole is a 5 minute process. I never could get the wire inside the pillar on either side.
Is there a trick to getting a wire feed into either of these two channels? Two days on one dang wire.
PbFut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 03:52 PM   #2
Sheepdip

Re: Roof top Running lights electrical feed

Quote:
Originally Posted by PbFut View Post
Attempting to run a wire to the roof top holes. Factory route as I understand is down the A pillar. When I attempt to feed a fisher cable, an old speedo cable, I can only get passage through a small hole inside the cab at the top junction of the A pillar and roof. Both Driver and passenger side the same. Hours of fishing to my original intended route at the cab corner is proving impossible to get past the roof joint to back panel. The cable hits and turns into the roof cavity. Was the factory route into this little hole in upper front corner and down the pillar behind the windshield weather stripping then into a small relief at the bottom of pillar where dash meets? That can't be correct. I would think the small hole at top would chaff the wire as it can't fit a grommet. Both sides the same and fishing into this little hole is a 5 minute process. I never could get the wire inside the pillar on either side.
Is there a trick to getting a wire feed into either of these two channels? Two days on one dang wire.
I'm not there..... but try a string and a shop vac.
Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 10:54 PM   #3
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Take a look at this thread and the accompanying links to see if it will help you. If you look at the picture of the roof with the skin removed you will see that the access hole is not where you think it would be. I used a speedometer cable when I did mine.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=643381

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2024, 06:34 PM   #4
PbFut

Well, that was the biggest challenge this truck has given me. Except for a quick lunch break, I spent all day. The holes in the A pillar proved too much for me. I spent a good 2 hours each side attempting to find the hole. Felt like I was in high school again. Never did find the hole. Even with the great pic Doc provided in his link to a different post. I know I was in the correct area over the seem from the visor hole. I never felt my feeler wire hit the hole.
I was not confident with the floss trick posted above but it proved to be the necessary step though I had to snake to the B Pillar. The vacuum was not enough to pull the floss from the Sun Visor hole. I had to rig up a smaller vacuum tube (heater hose) to get high in the B pillar. I then used a continuous blast of compressed air shot into the visor hole pulling the dental floss and directing to the area of the vacuum. Once the floss was pulling on it's own I knew it was in the vacuum tube. I then attached the speedo cable to the floss at the B Pillar. I needed to gently pull the floss to guide the speedo cable tip past the roof seem and pushing lightly on the speedo cable. Once the speedo cable was the full length and protruding out the visor hole and an end left at the B pillar hole by the gas filler neck, I was able to attach the wire to the speedo cable and pull into its final position. A second fish from the visor hole up to the running light hole completes the daisy chain. I'll hook up and complete the light mounts tomorrow. A beer is setting next to me to celebrate completion of a task that should have taken no more than 30 minutes and burned up most of 3 days. I was not going to let this wire beat me. Thank you for the tips. Proved to be very helpfull.
PbFut is offline   Reply With Quote