The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-27-2006, 02:40 AM   #1
aguirre1120

72 GMC 2WD SWB... Where to start??

I am now a proud owner of a 72 GMC 2WD SWB truck. The previous owner started it as a project, got married, had children and was unable to finish. (ring any bells for anyone??) He already installed new 350 w/350 auto trans, tilt wheel, lowered the stance I believe 2/4 and installed blazer tank, but didn't plumb. Truck runs and rides great. I already installed HEI just to pass smog. I plan on keeping truck forever (hopefully). I want to completely restore and it would be a weekend driver mainly. Does anyone have suggestions on where to start??? I want a "thats a gorgeous truck" comments when I am finished. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
aguirre1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 03:16 AM   #2
al's71gmc
4 eyed fever

Re: 72 GMC 2WD SWB... Where to start??

Congrats on your new truck. Hard to suggest a starting point without more info and pics. Start making a list of things that need attention. If you plan on doing a fullblown frame up restoration, the list should give you plenty of starting places. Try to organize your list so that you don't end up doing things twice. Look at other trucks to get inspiration and ideas for mods that you like. Sounds like the PO gave you a good start, and if it's been in NV for most of it's life, it's likely to have good metal/ not much rust? Alot depends on your skills /abilties and tools. Post some pics, we all like pics.
1972 GMC Sierra Grande 1/2 t 4x4-#1 son's truck. Recently completed resto.

4 YO daughter," Daddy, I like your truck better than Mom's." (2000 F350-ranch truck) Smart kid!!
al's71gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 03:54 AM   #3
sixty8c10
MY EX DRIVES A BROOM

Building Nemo -1968 C10 Long Bed

FRED -1947 KB-2 International
sixty8c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 05:05 AM   #4
ACES
Life is a gamble

If you post pics, I promise to write "thats a gorgeous truck"

If you are going to drive it while performing Resto, I suggest starting with Suspension and brakes.

The torpid artist seeks inspiration at any cost, by virtue or by vice, by friend or by fiend, by prayer or by wine.
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ACES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 06:07 AM   #5
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Don't get caught up in seeing all of the projects around here. It takes a special mentality to do a full blown nut and bolt frame off resto. Most guys who start one never finish it. I've done a few, but don't care to do another one.

I like to do driving restos now. Collect all the parts to do a section of the truck, then only take it off the road long enough to knock out that section of the project.

Example: get another rearend and rear suspension stuff. Then, detail all the parts and have them ready to go. Now, take the truck out of service only long enough to pull the bed, detail the rear frame section, and install your new parts. Then, put it back together and drive it for awhile, while saving for the next segment of the project.
Old 03-30-2006, 01:08 AM   #6
aguirre1120

Here are a couple of ext pics. Will send some int tomorrow.
Attached Images

Old 03-30-2006, 01:14 AM   #7
Canadian694x4
Born To Lose Club

Location: Calgary, Alberta/Oxenden, Ontario, Great White North

Looks Like a Great Start for a Project!

I have to agree with everything that Tx Firefighter has said. Although I haven't done a frame of resto (yet) I have to say it takes a lot of dedication and time to finish one.
1972 GMC K2500 Custom LWB Fleetside - Proud Owner For 2 Yrs - 1 of 571 Built & Sold In Canada! - 350 V8/SM465/NP205, 4” Rough Country Lift, 33” Interco TSL Thornbirds
2007.5 GMC Sierra SLE 2500HD 4x4 - Proud Owner For 15 Yrs
- 6.6L V8 Duramax Diesel/Allison 1000, 2" Lift, 33" Mickey Thompson MTZ's.
2008 Yamaha Raptor 700r - Proud Owner For 13 Yrs - ITP Mud Lites.
2015 John Deere 1025R - Proud Owner For 6 Yrs - 24HP Diesel/H120/54D/260B/SB1154.
Canadian694x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 03:13 AM   #8
69face

the truck is beautiful! if you don't have disk in the front start there. go to the motor and make sure the engine bay is clean and organized. next paint and body, and finish it up with interior. inside-out give a better suprise effect to those who criticize your truck. then they are wowed! again the truck looks good from what i see.

I'M SO SO CAL!
69face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 08:30 AM   #9
special-K
Special Order

OK,that`s a gorgeous truck!!I`d hook up the gas tank first.If it runs good,brakes & suspension would be next for me.Making a truck feel and operate properly should come before any cosmetics.Then,at least you don`t feel you`re driving an old p.o.s. and when you make it look theway you want,you`ll be happy.And,it`ll be as nice as it looks!

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 11:15 AM   #10
mblackburnjr
collector of vintage rust

Is that just the clear peeling off? I worked w/ a guy who bought a monte w/ peeling clear....He just peeled it all off w/ a razor blade and re-cleared it. It looked good as new.Just a thought.
mblackburnjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 11:30 AM   #11
409biscayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter
Don't get caught up in seeing all of the projects around here. It takes a special mentality to do a full blown nut and bolt frame off resto. Most guys who start one never finish it. I've done a few, but don't care to do another one.

I like to do driving restos now. Collect all the parts to do a section of the truck, then only take it off the road long enough to knock out that section of the project.

Example: get another rearend and rear suspension stuff. Then, detail all the parts and have them ready to go. Now, take the truck out of service only long enough to pull the bed, detail the rear frame section, and install your new parts. Then, put it back together and drive it for awhile, while saving for the next segment of the project.
That is good advice . Get it up and running then see what it needs . Drive and restore imo.
65 Nova Wagon Drag Car 383 t400 (Dragin-Wagon)
68 c10 cst 396 t400 a/c buckets lwb 4.11 posi (SOLD)
409biscayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 11:51 AM   #12
cdowns

the obvious first place to start is at the bank to see how much money you've got to spend on the project
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 12:31 PM   #13
krue
Designated A-hole!

Check out the FAQ Submission's Page, look for the Index thread and there should be a link to a discussion on this very issue. Not too mention all the cool mods and upgrades you can do to your truck.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 12:34 PM   #14
rauto13
saving one more

I love that truck!! I agree with the others, start with the brakes & suspension, address any mechanical problems first, a disk brake swap for the front is pretty easy, add power steering & brakes, if not already equipped, hook up the blazer tank when the truck is safe to drive, then body and paint, last interior (my opinion)

I focused on the mechanicals first, suspension, brakes, engine, I wanted to do a driving resto on mine, now I am ready to start on the body, paint, & interior. To me, I would rather have a safe & fun ugly truck, than an unsafe, undependable pretty truck. Did the upgrades as time & money allowed, but the truck was never down for very long. I wanted to get done, but enjoyed driving it too much to be down for months at a time... or longer
driver - 96 GMC X-cab
rauto13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 12:35 PM   #15
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

Welcome to the board. Looks to be pretty solid - is there rust that you need to tackle?
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 05:11 PM   #16
aguirre1120

It runs great. It is just geared really low. I can get going fast, I just can't cruise above 45-50 mph without ear protection. I want to get a new rear end with disc brakes and different gear ratio. Eventually a different tranny as well. I am not rich by any means so I will be doing this like Tx Firefighter recommended in sections. So....suggestions for the rearend???? Gearing, brakes, brands..etc...
Old 03-30-2006, 05:23 PM   #17
72armyswbtruck

I like that stance, that's a good place to start you got a good lookin project truck
Old 03-30-2006, 05:44 PM   #18
69face

Quote:
Originally Posted by aguirre1120
It runs great. It is just geared really low. I can get going fast, I just can't cruise above 45-50 mph without ear protection. I want to get a new rear end with disc brakes and different gear ratio. Eventually a different tranny as well. I am not rich by any means so I will be doing this like Tx Firefighter recommended in sections. So....suggestions for the rearend???? Gearing, brakes, brands..etc...
you can do it like most people without the proper means(cash flow) do it. get a 9" ford that already has disk and 3:?? gears.

I'M SO SO CAL!
69face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 06:02 PM   #19
raggedjim

Looks like a great start. I'm also not a bolt and nut restoration type guy. Make it safe and reliable first, then start grooming it.

Nice GMC but where's the grill shot? Resist the urge to go to the darkside (68 chevy front end)! The GMC front has a certain machismo that the chevys just don't have... (let the poundings begin...)

Good luck and have fun, Rg

'68 Short step - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=849675
'69 ('70?) 2wd Blazer
'70 GMC Jimmy 2wd
'73 Firebird - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=853203
raggedjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 06:22 PM   #20
Zumo
Hot Rods For Life

Look like a awesome project. Too bad about the PO though with haveing to let it go. I pulled to motor out of mine so when my wife asks about selling it I'm all
"What!?"

"No ones going to buy that piece of junk!"

"Plus all the money we have put in to it I am not going to call the wrecker to come get it"

"We'll just have to hold on to it"

That is usually how the conversation goes every season.
Los Muertos Custom Bicycles

Last edited by Zumo; 03-30-2006 at 06:23 PM.
Zumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 07:23 AM   #21
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Since you're on a budget, I'd just find a 71 or 72 rearend with 3.08 ratio. That's a common stock rearend, easy to find. That keeps your 5 lug bolt pattern, and will give you plenty long highway cruising legs without the engine revving so high.

12 bolt truck rearends are plenty tough.
Old 10-13-2008, 01:45 AM   #22
aguirre1120

I'm back... Almost 3 years later... I haven't done anything to the truck, but I have plans to start soon... I ordered an Auburn limited slip and 3.08 gears to start... I pulled the poly blazer tank that the last owner had installed (never plumbed/hooked up). It looks like it doesn't hold much. I have been looking at the 21 gallon poly tank and wanted to know what people have been doing as far as placement of the filler neck... I've seen alot of marker fill pics, but I haven't seen any bed fill or fleetside fill pics... Are there kits for bed fill or fleetside fuel doors??? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated... Thanks and Hello again, Marc.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:44 AM   #23
Chevy4Life

Nice project! I missed this thread the first time. Good to hear you're getting back to work on it. I'm recently RE-motivated myself. We don't have enough 67-72's running around Vegas ,especially shortys. Ever make it out to the Super run on Water St.? Mine WILL be there next year! What area are you in? I'm just up the hill from GVHS.

Jay
Chevy4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 08:16 AM   #24
70cst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian694x4 View Post
Looks Like a Great Start for a Project!
I have to agree with everything that Tx Firefighter has said. Although I haven't done a frame of resto (yet) I have to say it takes a lot of dedication and time to finish one.
And $$$$$$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter View Post
Very Good points.

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 12:12 PM   #25
GOPAPA

[QUOTE=aguirre1120;2927783]I'm back... Almost 3 years later... I haven't done anything to the truck, but I have plans to start soon... I ordered an Auburn limited slip and 3.08 gears to start... I pulled the poly blazer tank that the last owner had installed (never plumbed/hooked up). It looks like it doesn't hold much. I have been looking at the 21 gallon poly tank and wanted to know what people have been doing as far as placement of the filler neck... I've seen alot of marker fill pics, but I haven't seen any bed fill or fleetside fill pics... Are there kits for bed fill or fleetside fuel doors??? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated... Thanks and Hello again, Marc.[/QUOTE

Hello,,, and glad to hear you are getting on with your make over with a fine truck .. Heres some help I hope to give you with a idea of a way to plumb your Poly Gas tank in..

You can type in "rear tanks " or other catch words on this forum and learn many ways to plumb in your tank ,,this is the one I chose from the advise of Classic.Bowties . I like it because it will be on the side where I do not need to worry about covering it up with anything I wish to haul .. IMHO

I just got what I need yesterday and took a picture to show you about where the "Chase" will go when installed . This set up came off a C-20 truck and it was located in the front of the bed just like it is shown in my picture against the side wall.
When cleaned up and painted to match I will cut a hole in the chase to turn the filler tube 180 degrees around and have the gas cap side pointing in towards the center of the bed. Then from this filler tube I will have the gas hose hooked to the end of it and down under the bed and slipped over the filler pipe that comes out of the Poly Tank. Both the filler tube and vent tube will hook up the way I discribed. I plan on taking pictures of my installation in steps and putting it on the forum ,,but it will be awhile until I get to that point ,, good luck ,,papa

Attachment 400394

Last edited by GOPAPA; 12-05-2008 at 04:05 PM.
GOPAPA is offline   Reply With Quote