The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-21-2015, 02:56 PM   #1
mikesacs

Altman easy latch on a 60

I just installed a pair of Altman Easy Latches on my 60 truck. I did have some fit issues that I'm still working on and an wondering if there are any comments from people that have installed them on a 60-66. There is a small gap between the horizontal window track (bolted to the interior door panel) and the bottom track on the window when it is about half way up. This tight area meets exactly where the door handle bar should attach to the latch. It came with a stud pressed into the latch arm, but i had to remove the stud and use a wire to gain clearance for the window to work. I don't know if that will be my final solution since I'm not really happy with it. I thought about a rivet, but thought that would still catch on the window. Problem number 2 was that the push buttons on the outside door handle were too long on the inside. I had to cut about 3/8 of an inch off of them. Problem number 3 was the rear vertical window track. Once I bolted it in place, it presses on the latch mechanism and kept the spring from working. I added a washer between the track and the door to space it out slightly and that seems to work fine. I did read another post about someone coming up with an idea to keep the original interior door lock working, but this latch isn't built the same way. I think that was an older truck. I do have new weather seal on order. that will help with the final fit and action of the door. I've ordered 2006-2009 Honda civic coupe door gaskets for this (another thread). Problem 3 is that the door handle is too easy to operate from the inside. Just a light touch is enough to unlock the latch. This might be solved when a gasket is installed. The last item is that the mechanism doesn't seem as beefy as other ones. This might just be personal preference and the operation will be fine.
Attached Images

mikesacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 03:38 PM   #2
The Rocknrod

Re: Altman easy latch on a 60

Have you contacted Trique Manufacturing about this yet? http://www.triquemfg.com/altman-easy...3-chevy-truck/
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 03:46 PM   #3
Sean C

Well this is a bummer...I'm going to be installing these on my 66' hopefully early next week. I'll let you know if I encounter similar issues and if I come up with any alternative solutions.

I would hope that a latch system like this would install a bit better than your experience, especially considering they weren't exactly cheap.
Sean C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 04:11 PM   #4
CTurner1978

We are aware of some 60-63 trucks having this issue and we are working to remedy it. The problem does not appear on all of these trucks, however, it is something that we are fixing. The 64-66 have had no reports of any similar issues. We are always happy to speak to our customers about issues you are having, or answer questions you may have. We want to provide the best product we can and we do this as much by fixing issues as we do creating products. Mikesacs - please PM me your contact information so that we can get you a set of replacement levers out as soon as we get this issue resolved. Sorry for the inconvenience, but we will make it right.
Old 07-21-2015, 04:14 PM   #5
mikesacs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean C View Post
Well this is a bummer...I'm going to be installing these on my 66' hopefully early next week. I'll let you know if I encounter similar issues and if I come up with any alternative solutions.

I would hope that a latch system like this would install a bit better than your experience, especially considering they weren't exactly cheap.
Please do give an update. It would be very helpful! I also might try contacting the manufacture and see if they have any ideas. I did want to add that I'm 100% sure I have the correct year latch. The contour of the mounting plate matched my door contour perfect.
Old 08-06-2015, 04:42 PM   #6
mikesacs

I have added the Honda civic door gaskets and are impressed with them. I did splice about 9" to make them longer. I also removed a molded 90 degree corner since I needed to splice it anyway. I'm still trying to think of a better way to make the inside handle arm work better than my stiff wire idea. It still gets slightly hung on the window tracks occasionally. Possibly find a way to raise the point where the inside actuator arm attaches to the latch mechanism and then go back to the original arm. That would be above the horizontal window track and leave more clearance.
Old 08-06-2015, 05:22 PM   #7
CTurner1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesacs View Post
I have added the Honda civic door gaskets and are impressed with them. I did splice about 9" to make them longer. I also removed a molded 90 degree corner since I needed to splice it anyway. I'm still trying to think of a better way to make the inside handle arm work better than my stiff wire idea. It still gets slightly hung on the window tracks occasionally. Possibly find a way to raise the point where the inside actuator arm attaches to the latch mechanism and then go back to the original arm. That would be above the horizontal window track and leave more clearance.
Mike,

I am currently working on the issue. I just got a new window and door handle regulator in so that I can build a door to do some testing. I will update here ASAP.
Old 08-06-2015, 06:01 PM   #8
DaddyOh

Noticed with the Altman latch (on a '65), that when using the interior door handle to open, there isn't a 'spring-back' action once open. This leaves the claw in the open position and the door will not close until the interior handle is pushed forward again. Seems it will need another bracket with a spring to maintain tension on the interior handle to go back to 'neutral' - so the door can be opened and swung shut without an additional action.
DaddyOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 08:48 PM   #9
Heater63

What is the flaw in the original latches? What years? I have '63, I never had a problem with mine.
Old 08-07-2015, 09:11 PM   #10
mikesacs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heater63 View Post
What is the flaw in the original latches? What years? I have '63, I never had a problem with mine.
On a 60, the bolt from door latch to actuating arm does not fit between the window mechanical parts when the window is about half way up.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-07-2015, 11:34 PM   #11
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

I can't really picture what/where the problem is, but 60-61 do have the metal framed window, while 62-63 do not I wonder if that is where the clearance issues come into play, and that is why you are having problems with a 60, while the guy with the 63 is not.
jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 09:24 PM   #12
als1961

I to have the altman latches, they close good and open easy. The problem is they continue to get caught on my window regulator and opens the door while driving.
als1961 is offline   Reply With Quote