The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-03-2015, 11:25 AM   #1
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Opinions wanted finishes on my stepside

Im working on a truck that came to me as a basic custom deluxe. Its a 6 cyl 2wd 3 speed on the column. I am more of a stock guy than a custom guy. Due to money and space issues Im trying t do this on a kind of low buck build kinda thing. The truck was born ( sorry been watching too much Graveyard Carz) as a metallic green fleetside but I am putting it back together as a stepside as I was wheeling and dealing with ScottH and I have always wanted a stepside due to the fact I was always enamored by a truck an acquaintance had back when I was a kid.
Heres my delima
Ive painted the body of the truck a hot rod matte black. Im keeping the 74 grille , chrome headlight trim and all that stuff. My plans are to keep the stock grille and to keep the factory chrome drip rails key locks and handles.
Im going to paint the rims Farmall red and put the dog dish hubcaps and beauty rings on them. Im also planning on putting a dual racing stripe on the roof hood and tailgate in farmall red.
The stepside bed I want to rhinoline the inner walls in black
I would like you all to give me opinions as to what color I should do the wood in in the bed. These days you can get stain in any color . I am planning on buying wood from Home Depot and milling it myself. The other question is I am definitely not affording chromed bed strips I will need to either paint or do something with the existing ones, so should what color for those and the other idea was to ask the fellow to rhinoline those too
What do you all think? I will try to take a picture of the project as it currently sits and get it posted later

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 12:17 PM   #2
Duvall

Re: Opinions wanted finishes on my stepside

Black wood with red strips. I think that would tie it all together.
Duvall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 01:58 PM   #3
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

this is the truck I am speaking of in its current state
Attached Images

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 02:36 PM   #4
slug

I think a lighter color for the wood would look good. They also sell a gunstock color or classic cherry that is a reddish orange color. The wall behind the fridge in this pic is the gunstock cherry color on oak
Old 01-03-2015, 07:09 PM   #5
bigblock73
yeller

Painted wood and strips in my opinion (matte strips, gloss black wood for contrast)...with as much red and black as you have planned...I can't see any color of stained wood looking at home with the theme of the truck you are building.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 10:01 PM   #6
lilpoindexter

Don't stain the wood at all...leave it natural.
lilpoindexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 11:06 PM   #7
Sodak

trex
Sodak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 11:43 PM   #8
83swb

Just some clear polyurethane IMO. In my experience paint never holds up well on a wood surface and will get ugly quick if you plan to use the truck as a truck.
83swb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 08:29 AM   #9
NJ C10 Guy

Dark walnut stain with red strips.
NJ C10 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 01:52 PM   #10
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

If the truck will be matte black, I'd try an ash grey stain on the wood. Paint the strips to match the truck.

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote