The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-29-2012, 12:51 PM   #1
84_chevy

Grease in the rear brake drum

I just redid the rear brakes about a month ago and eveything went well, replaced ever thing right down to the parking brake strut springs.

well this weekend i had to pull the rear tires off so I took a quick look at the brakes also. low and behold everything under the passenger side brake drum was covered in grease. Its not coming from the brake caliper or the line, that is all new and looks perfect. It also must of just started because the old parts were worn but showed no sign of oil/grease contamination.

My guess is the grease seal for the axle shaft has gone bad.

Here is my question; Should I go ahead and pull the axle to replace the seal, the Haynes manual makes it sound simple enough and I'm sure a seal is not all that expensive but following that manual has got me into trouble on more then one occasion.

What I'm worried about is every time I go to fix something in my truck I have to fix 5 other things just because its so worn out and none of the PO have looked after it in a long time.

Right now the truck is not on the road so I don't have to worry about brakes to much moving it around the property and I'm also not prepared to rebuild the whole rear end right now. Should I leave it for now until I'm ready to rebuild the rear end and what other troubles might I find after I pop off the differential cover?
84_chevy is offline   Reply With Quote