The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-16-2014, 04:22 PM   #1
mvitale27

Cab Bracing

I have done some searches and found some good info on how to brace my cab before I start rust repairs.

Right now my cab is off the frame and sandblasted sitting on a dolly covered up in my driveway. I should have my frame rolling again this week and then I was going to use new cab mounts to secure the cab back on the frame.

Next, I plan on buying new door hinges and hardware, mount the doors and front fenders, adjust the gaps and then brace the cab. Does this sound correct?

I haven't looked at my Factory Assembly Manual about this but are there measurements for the cab like door to door, pillar to pillar, etc? I want to make sure the cab is nice and square before I start adjusting gaps and bracing.

Matt's 3/4T 4X4 Build
mvitale27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 06:16 PM   #2
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Re: Cab Bracing

Your better off doing this on the frame but your work flow is good. Don't toss the old hinges you may find you have to rebuild them to get the doors right. New don't always fit without bending them and the gaps are supposed to be .125" +/- .06 but paint back then was dimensionally thinner when put on so leave a little extra room for multiple paint layers
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 07:03 PM   #3
OrrieG

Or you can do it like Gas Monkey garage; do the cab and doors separately then cut up the cab to make the doors fit. I figured they jumped the shark with that episode and haven't watched since.

I would also fit the radiator brace and hood in place too, fitment in that area that is affected by cab squareness and angle. Also make sure you are fitting the doors as you go, I had to go back and cut and weld painted metal in the step area because my lower hinge repair welding pulled the step up.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 08:34 PM   #4
FarmerSid

LOL at the GMG comment Orrie!

Listen to the above suggestions Matt. They are correct. Your plan is pretty much spot on.

My Build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=632938
FarmerSid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 02:05 PM   #5
mvitale27

Thanks for the replies everyone, I will be buying and using new hinges for the mock up but will hang onto the old ones just in case.

Also, I will mount the core support and hood to check those gaps and squareness as well.. Thanks again for all the tips, I feel much better about moving forward now.

Matt's 3/4T 4X4 Build
Old 10-17-2014, 03:28 PM   #6
II_Slow

So the advice is don't repair the cab corners and rocker panels until the doors are installed and squared up?
II_Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 03:57 PM   #7
mvitale27

Quote:
Originally Posted by II_Slow View Post
So the advice is don't repair the cab corners and rocker panels until the doors are installed and squared up?
I think it would be best to not repair rockers, steps, hinge pockets, etc. until doors and front sheet metal is adjusted to proper gaps and the cab is braced.

You may even want to do the steps and rockers with the doors installed to ensure fitment. My post was more general as I have A LOT of rust repair and patches to do on the cab.

Lower hinge pockets, lower outer and inner cowls, steps and rockers, rear cab corners, floor pans, front cab mount supports, rear inner and outer cab corners and some roof/windshield frame repair as well. My work is well cut out for me.

Matt's 3/4T 4X4 Build