The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-30-2013, 03:14 AM   #1
Profish

69 outer grill restoration???

Does anyone have any pointers on getting the outer grill looking sharp? I've got one with minimal damage, but am not sure these can be worked on or do they typically just get replaced. If replacing, where can I get one with the bezeled lettering? Brothers doesn't seem to carry them and LMC doesn't seem to know if the grills letterings are bezeled or stick on. They're also $900! ouch
Posted via Mobile Device
Profish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:50 AM   #2
Pizzalovr36

Re: 69 outer grill restoration???

hey bud classicparts.com has them and there are nice! they originally came with a clear coat so youd have to take that off if its all oxidized up use a oven cleaner to take it off. then you have too take like a neverdull or other products alike and rub the heck out of it! lol its a long process! but check them out on classicparts.com
Pizzalovr36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:54 AM   #3
Cash3481
Loves all GMC trucks

Profish:
Do a couple querries for grill polishing on the search bar. There is someone that does one with a drain cleaner from Home Depot. It will save you time. I haven't done it but the comments from those that have are positive on the results. Hope this helps.
Mike
Posted via Mobile Device
Cash3481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:00 AM   #4
69GWC

LMC sells 2 grills one without the stamped letters (the cheap one) and the one with the stamped letters that over $800 bucks.

Oven cleaner would be what I would use and some fine steel wool, then its going to be alot of elbow work polishing it back up. Maybe a mothers power ball that is used for wheels would be a easier way to polish back up.

Once polished I would think you would want it re-cleared so it stays shiny or you will just have to polish it every now and then I guess.
Posted via Mobile Device
69GWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:56 AM   #5
Cash3481
Loves all GMC trucks

Here is a post someone did the chemical strip of the grill. Turned out pretty nice... hope it helps you out.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=392112&page=2
Cash3481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:35 PM   #6
FirstOwner69

The grille is not clear coated. It is anodized. This link describes that process.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anodizing

Here's a video that describes the removal and polishing process. I started this on a spare original 69/70 grille but haven't finished the restoration. Once you get it straightened and polished You should be able to clear coat it or have it re-anodized.

FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:35 PM   #7
WIDESIDE72

I am mid way through restoring an original 71 outer for my 72. I used drain cleaner to strip the anodizing and wet sanded it with 180, 320 and 600. Now I am waiting on my aluminum polishing kit from Eastwood.
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:39 PM   #8
WIDESIDE72

I used the same hair and grease remover as in the video. I had to sand it due to scratches (due to people leaning over the outer grill and scratching it with tool/ and or belt buckles?)
Old 02-03-2013, 01:34 AM   #9
Profish

Great input on the purchase and polishing of a grill. Can the grills be repaired for damage? The one I have has 2-3 dents a hole. I've taken it to shops and they've told me that they can't repair them. I'm sure this is a very basic question for most of you. I've had this truck for 30 years and need to get it done or near done by July for my daughters wedding. It is currently down to frame with the body in the shop. Lots of parts...little time
Posted via Mobile Device
Profish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:38 AM   #10
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Profish View Post
Great input on the purchase and polishing of a grill. Can the grills be repaired for damage? The one I have has 2-3 dents a hole. I've taken it to shops and they've told me that they can't repair them. I'm sure this is a very basic question for most of you. I've had this truck for 30 years and need to get it done or near done by July for my daughters wedding. It is currently down to frame with the body in the shop. Lots of parts...little time
Posted via Mobile Device
Boy, dents and holes are a bit tough to fix on these grills. It kind of depends on how large we are talking, and where they are located, but I was in a similar situation, and ended up getting a very decent original grill at the junk yard for $37, and then I restored it and painted it. Here's my thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=564187
Posted via Mobile Device
Mister-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:22 AM   #11
WIDESIDE72

Dents are one thing. Holes, though are a no go. $37 junkyard grills are few and far between but you neve know. Keep an eye on the parts board.
Posted via Mobile Device