The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-02-2013, 09:06 PM   #1
IRN BRU

jump start cause coil damage?

Hi all,

I am having some difficulties starting my 72 C10. It used to be a daily driver until this winter. but I got a second truck and thought I would keep her indoors this winter. I would normally try to start her once a week and let her heat up.

So my problem is this. (HEI Distributor)
I had problems trying to start her this time. I think I initialy flooded her with fuel and drained the battery cranking her as it wasnt too charged after being sitting all winter. I checked and I had a spark and there was definitley fuel present. I tried to jump start with my dual battery diesel truck and it cranked really good but did not start.

I charged my battery and tried again, this time I tried starter fluid with no joy. I checked for a spark again and this time there was no spark. I removed the distributor cap and ohmed the center post to the battery terminal and got nothing, same with the tach terminal. So my question is, ould I have fried my coil with the jumping?
IRN BRU is offline   Reply With Quote