The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-23-2014, 04:10 PM   #1
Ziegelsteinfaust

I went Full Retard this morning.

My C20 died a couple of weeks ago, and I needed to get something running. I was doing an in depth CL search late last night, and found a guy with 2 4x4's for sale for stupid cheap. So this morning after I slept on it I gave the guy a call, and put a down payment for the 2 trucks.

Both are 73's, and 3/4 tons.

1 has a running sbc, and full gear. I believe this has a D60 with either electronic hubs or full time 4wd. Not sure which I do not know much about them. This one has a 4-6 inch lift, and bunch of other cool parts. It has camper special badges on it.

The 2nd has has a decent body, and I am sure this has a D44 with manual hubs. It has no engine, tranny, but it has a transfer case.

Both have 10.5 14 bolts.

So I am sure I will be able to make 1 very nice truck mechanically out of the 3 I have, and I can part ways with the rest.

This being my first 4x4 I do not know much of factory 4x4's or even modified ones.

If I run the stock height parts on a 3/4 ton. How much tire can I run? Also what is a optimal tire size for going down dirt roads, up hills, but no bumping rocks.

How do they drive when you lift them up 6 inches with 35 inch tires on they. Or is it more about the tires provided the suspension is in good repair.

Neither had cross over steering from what I know. When does it become necessary or the better option?

How weak is a D44 3/4 ton axle? I just want a decent 4x4 so I may want to sell the D60 to help fund this project. If I do sell the D60 front, and go with a D44. I will likely add a 9.5 14 bolt to increase mpg possibilities.

Are 4 link kits good for off-road, and road handling? I can also get 65 trailing arm set-up if I want it. Can I use this on the rear or would the transfer case block me from using it.

Both trucks are long beds. Is bobbing one for a short bed worth it when driving or does the long bed handle the miles better. I know off road yes, but I am talking laying down some hwy miles to get somewhere.

Is adding a Suburban tank to the rear instead of the dual sides help with traction?

At this point I am not sure what I want to do with it, but based on my C20 a 3-4 inch lift wouldn't be bad for my needs. I want it to be capable of road trips to go fishing, and such. So I need to balance full capability with decent mpg to have a good round project.

Later down the road I plan to add a 4L65 to the mix to help with hwy driving. I have a full set of bolt on's to go with the truck I got so the sbc should have plenty of torque for cruising. Being I come from 2wd's car's, and trucks best mpg came roughly at 70-75 at 2000rpm. So with 4wd parts my thought is just under 2500rpm would be about the sweet spot, and from what I heard from friends 65 is a decent mph. I would like to get 15+mpg hwy at a steady speed, and avoid the 8-10 most people get.

If you have any advice let me know. I have a week to research before my trucks get here, and I have to do something.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote